The Student Room Group

In over my head? Economics Uni Application

I'm worried about my 5 choices for Economics because it is such a competitive course and getting a target IB uni would be so beneficial, however I might be risking getting rejected from all 5 unis due to mainly my GCSE's
At GCSE: 4A* 4A 4B
A Level Predicted: 4A*

I'm applying to:
Cambridge
LSE
UCL
Warwick
Nottingham

How likely am I to get rejected from Nottingham? Should I remove LSE and instead include Bristol or Bath or etc?
Original post by Johncolman04
I'm worried about my 5 choices for Economics because it is such a competitive course and getting a target IB uni would be so beneficial, however I might be risking getting rejected from all 5 unis due to mainly my GCSE's

I'm applying to:
Cambridge
LSE
UCL
Warwick
Nottingham

How likely am I to get rejected from Nottingham? Should I remove LSE and instead include Bristol or Bath or etc?

You do realise basically only Oxbridge look at GCSEs, the rest don't mind and only focus on your A-levels (LSE also focuses on your personal statement).

I assume from the unis you're applying to you're doing maths and further maths right? I'm not sure why you're particularly concerned tbh, if you don't get into Nottingham with 4A* then that would be very strange. Since Bath and Bristol aren't any easier to get into than Nottingham I'm not sure why you'd put an extra one of those done beyond just giving yourself a little bit of an extra backup.
Original post by BenRyan99
You do realise basically only Oxbridge look at GCSEs, the rest don't mind and only focus on your A-levels (LSE also focuses on your personal statement).

I assume from the unis you're applying to you're doing maths and further maths right? I'm not sure why you're particularly concerned tbh, if you don't get into Nottingham with 4A* then that would be very strange. Since Bath and Bristol aren't any easier to get into than Nottingham I'm not sure why you'd put an extra one of those done beyond just giving yourself a little bit of an extra backup.

Yes I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics
I am getting conflicting information all over the internet, I've seen people such as you who say GCSE's barely matter (hopefully) but have also seen people from Nottingham saying if you don't have 8a*s+ at gcse you have little chance of getting in.
Assuming you're right do you think it would then be worth it to replace Nottingham with Durham who I have heard conflicting information on their offer rates? Thank you.
How to Avoid 5 Rejections - the section about making sure you have a range of grade requirements is particularly important : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Original post by McGinger
How to Avoid 5 Rejections - the section about making sure you have a range of grade requirements is particularly important : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Thanks for the reply, I have read through this thread before the issue is that at the upper end of universities most applicants have higher predicted grades than the grade requirements so it is hard to tell what is a "safe" choice. Any advice would be much appreciated.
I am getting conflicting information all over the internet, I've seen people such as you who say GCSE's barely matter (hopefully) but have also seen people from Nottingham saying if you don't have 8a*s+ at gcse you have little chance of getting in.
Assuming you're right do you think it would then be worth it to replace Nottingham with Durham who I have heard conflicting information on their offer rates? Thank you.

Lol you don’t need 8A*s at GCSE’s are you crazy. That’s just because the target audience for oxbridge are the biggest nerds in the population, and their entry requirements are insane so that’s what you attract. 4A*s will be good enough, I know someone who got an offer for Cambridge with less. However, we are talking economics, one of the most competitive courses with at Oxford specifically a 8.9% success rate. If you get turned down, so did 90% of other applicants who probably all were going to achieve the same grades.
For all of the others you will be fine, With oxbridge lse warwick, those are the top 3 choices anyone wanting great career prospects in economics applies for, so if you are achieving the grades and don’t get an offer, do not blame yourself. Nottingham you will be perfectly fine with, I got an offer for Bristol with 98887765 GCSE and DEU in my AS grades so please do not be so worried lol. Also, for IB you really don’t need to go to oxbridge, Bristol and Nottingham are both still highly regarded and if you want to get into IB you can easily do it from those universities, there are plenty who do it every year.

Ofcourse, just make a good personal statement, get work experience with as many good companies as possible maybe volunteer work as it may benefit you for oxbridge, but with 10% success rates you can not be hard on yourself.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by SuttonOG
Lol you don’t need 8A*s at GCSE’s are you crazy. That’s just because the target audience for oxbridge are the biggest nerds in the population, and their entry requirements are insane so that’s what you attract. 4A*s will be good enough, I know someone who got an offer for Cambridge with less. However, we are talking economics, one of the most competitive courses with at Oxford specifically a 8.9% success rate. If you get turned down, so did 90% of other applicants who probably all were going to achieve the same grades.
For all of the others you will be fine, With oxbridge lse warwick, those are the top 3 choices anyone wanting great career prospects in economics applies for, so if you are achieving the grades and don’t get an offer, do not blame yourself. Nottingham you will be perfectly fine with, I got an offer for Bristol with 98887765 GCSE and DEU in my AS grades so please do not be so worried lol. Also, for IB you really don’t need to go to oxbridge, Bristol and Nottingham are both still highly regarded and if you want to get into IB you can easily do it from those universities, there are plenty who do it every year.

Ofcourse, just make a good personal statement, get work experience with as many good companies as possible maybe volunteer work as it may benefit you for oxbridge, but with 10% success rates you can not be hard on yourself.

Thank you, just interested as I'm not dead set on Nottingham why did you choose Bristol?
Reply 7

I'm applying to:
Cambridge
LSE
UCL
Warwick
Nottingham

Offer rate for BA Economics at Nottingham is 93%. With your predicted grades, your personal statement would have to consist of nothing but "Nottingham admissions tutors are all paedos" repeated over and over to get rejected (hyperbole).

https://www.admissionreport.com/university-of-nottingham/ba-economics
(edited 2 years ago)

Cambridge are relatively unconcerned about GCSEs though LSE definitely are:

"A strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9)"

One tactic to consider is applying initially with 3-4 choices, then add the remainder after getting some responses.
Thank you, just interested as I'm not dead set on Nottingham why did you choose Bristol?

I managed to get the contextual offer for Bristol but couldn’t for Nottingham, they are both the same pretty much in terms of ranking and employability , maybe Bristol slightly more but they’re the same. Other than that literally no reason. AAB for an A*AA course is great 😊. Personally, I think I’d of gone Nottingham instead because there are lots I don’t like about bristol, expensive accommodation, 35% of students are posh rich kids, there are lots to think about besides just academics. I know a lot of people really like bristol’s city compared to Nottingham. There is also bath but why go bath when you can apply to Bristol or Nottingham haha.
Reply 10
Original post by ageshallnot
Cambridge are relatively unconcerned about GCSEs though LSE definitely are:

"A strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9)"

One tactic to consider is applying initially with 3-4 choices, then add the remainder after getting some responses.

I think LSE use a gathered field approach where responses come after the 15th of Jan so this wouldn't work for them
Original post by Sinnoh
I think LSE use a gathered field approach where responses come after the 15th of Jan so this wouldn't work for them

Fair enough though the OP would know their Cambridge result by then, and probably 1-2 of the others.
Original post by ageshallnot
Fair enough though the OP would know their Cambridge result by then, and probably 1-2 of the others.

do I have to tell my teachers about doing this or do I just apply say Cambridge, LSE, Nottingham and then apply to rest of options if I get an offer from Nottingham?
do I have to tell my teachers about doing this or do I just apply say Cambridge, LSE, Nottingham and then apply to rest of options if I get an offer from Nottingham?

Might be an idea to let them know your plan so they don't panic when they see you only have 3 choices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending