The Student Room Group

Maths topics for economics degree

Heyo, I wanted to ask what topics I should learn and go over that’ll help with my econ degree.

I know of integration and differentiation but I’ve only found really easy worksheets for those, and can’t find ones that would be similar to the ones to be used for the degree (idk if that made sense, sorry.)
If you didn't take A-level Further Maths it would probably be useful to spend some time familiarising yourself with matrices and complex numbers (particularly the former). I get the impression there is not a huge amount of integration involved in economics work but a lot of differentiation, so that might be worth considering when planning any revision (I doubt you'll use e.g. volumes of revolution or anything for example).
Original post by artful_lounger
If you didn't take A-level Further Maths it would probably be useful to spend some time familiarising yourself with matrices and complex numbers (particularly the former). I get the impression there is not a huge amount of integration involved in economics work but a lot of differentiation, so that might be worth considering when planning any revision (I doubt you'll use e.g. volumes of revolution or anything for example).

How would complex numbers and volume of revolution be used in economics (I'm not tryna say your wrong, I'm just curious)
Original post by tej3141
How would complex numbers and volume of revolution be used in economics (I'm not tryna say your wrong, I'm just curious)

My point with volumes of revolution was to illustrate that integration probably isn't essential because they wouldn't be used. I literally said "I doubt you'll use e.g. volumes of revolution".

Complex numbers I'm less certain of being a specific tool, they're more a thing that tend to crop up all over the place, sometimes unexpectedly, so it's useful to at least have a basic understanding of what they are. That way it's not a total mystery if you find them in some eigenvalues or something you just computed for example.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Chisjsgeusiaibdv
Heyo, I wanted to ask what topics I should learn and go over that’ll help with my econ degree.

I know of integration and differentiation but I’ve only found really easy worksheets for those, and can’t find ones that would be similar to the ones to be used for the degree (idk if that made sense, sorry.)

The best way to know what topics to go over is to go to your degree's modules page, find the first year maths modules and see what textbook they use. Then you'll be able to see which topics to go over and you can just start them straight out of the textbook you'll be using later rather than using a-level maths as a proxy of what you'll be doing.

If you can't find what maths for Econ textbook you'll be using at degree level than I've listed a couple below, Jacques is very basic, Sydsaeter and Hammond is what most decent unis start with. If you want to start more advanced and not have to get more than one textbook I'd go with Simon and Blume or Chiang and Wainwright.

- ian jacques mathematics for economics and business

essential mathematics for economic analysis by knut sydsæter and peter hammond

- further mathematics for economic analysis by knut sydsæter, peter hammond, atle seierstad and arne strøm

- simon blume mathematics for economists

- Chiang and Wainwright, Fundamental methods of mathematical economics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending