The Student Room Group

How About A Celtic Club Football Trophy?

How about a a Celtic Club Cup made up of all Scottish Premier sides, plus selected sides from R Ireland, N Ireland, Wales, Brittany, Cornwall, the Isle of Man, Yorkshire, Northumbria, and Cumbria?
This would be a great trophy for Scottish sides to expand their market, and play big sides from outside of Scotland and it would allow the small sides from the two Irish Leagues and Wales and Cornwall to grow.
By the way this would be a group stage cup trophy on top of domestic leagues, and UEFA Club trophies.
The Scots have been allowed to have Irish, Welsh, and English sides in the Scottish Challenge Cup for a few years so UEFA would be fine.
I want to keep the Scottish League but have more cross border trophies.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by CathScottish
How about a a Celtic Club Cup made up of all Scottish Premier sides, plus selected sides from R Ireland, N Ireland, Wales, Brittany, Cornwall, the Isle of Man, Yorkshire, Northumbria, and Cumbria?
This would be a great trophy for Scottish sides to expand their market, and play big sides from outside of Scotland and it would allow the small sides from the two Irish Leagues and Wales and Cornwall to grow.
By the way this would be a group stage cup trophy on top of domestic leagues, and UEFA Club trophies.
The Scots have been allowed to have Irish, Welsh, and English sides in the Scottish Challenge Cup for a few years so UEFA would be fine.

So all the...
Scottish Premiership (12 clubs)
Cymru Premier League (12 clubs)
Irish Premier Division (10 clubs)
NIFL Premiership (12 clubs)
Yorkshire: Leeds Utd, Middlesbrough, Barnsley, Sheffield Utd, Hull City, Huddersfield Town (6 clubs)

That's 52 clubs before Brittany, Cornwall, Cumbria, Isle of Man and Northumbia are considered. Let alone Sheffield Wednesday.
Reply 2

Why? Juniors where its at.
Original post by Quady
So all the...
Scottish Premiership (12 clubs)
Cymru Premier League (12 clubs)
Irish Premier Division (10 clubs)
NIFL Premiership (12 clubs)
Yorkshire: Leeds Utd, Middlesbrough, Barnsley, Sheffield Utd, Hull City, Huddersfield Town (6 clubs)

That's 52 clubs before Brittany, Cornwall, Cumbria, Isle of Man and Northumbia are considered. Let alone Sheffield Wednesday.

But I would not have every Premier club from Wales, and Ireland. It would be selected clubs that could afford it. All Scottish Premier sides could afford to be in it.
Plus the English FA Cup has far more entrants. And nobody finds that ridiculous.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
But I would not have every Premier club from Wales, and Ireland. It would be selected clubs that could afford it. All Scottish Premier sides could afford to be in it.
Plus the English FA Cup has far more entrants. And nobody finds that ridiculous.

They'd have to pay to be in it....? Or do you mean afford travel costs?

Would Dundee really afford to go to go to Cornwall?
I am not saying clubs pay to be in it. But they pay their own travel costs. So that would rule out some of the smaller Irish, and Welsh sides. And clubs should take 100% of their home gate receipts. TV money would be shared fairly.
Dundee could easily afford to go to Cornwall. There turnover is millions of pounds when they are in the Premier. I have been to Cornwall and I am not Bill Gates or Elon Musk.
Dundee fans would see it as a cool trip to a beautiful Celtic nation. And vice versa. It would be cool.
Reply 6
I am not saying clubs pay to be in it. But they pay their own travel costs. So that would rule out some of the smaller Irish, and Welsh sides. And clubs should take 100% of their home gate receipts. TV money would be shared fairly.
Dundee could easily afford to go to Cornwall. There turnover is millions of pounds when they are in the Premier. I have been to Cornwall and I am not Bill Gates or Elon Musk.

Well they aren't smaller, they are top flight sides.
I would not accept Ireland have 22 clubs and Scotland only having 12 clubs in the trophy. If there is a Celtic Club Cup it should have more Scottish sides than Irish sides as Scottish football is stronger. And Scotland has more professional sides. It would make a mockery of the trophy if we had 22 Irish clubs while Scotland which has a stronger football set up only has 12. Also the Irish clubs are far smaller. They would need to enter only their bigger sides like Linfield and Shamrock Rovers.
Also it would not help the trophy to grow if we had loads of Irish part time clubs while Scotland only had 12 clubs.
The trophy should reflect who has the stronger league to create a strong trophy.
Reply 8
I would not accept Ireland have 22 clubs and Scotland only having 12 clubs in the trophy. If there is a Celtic Club Cup it should have more Scottish sides than Irish sides as Scottish football is stronger. And Scotland has more professional sides. It would make a mockery of the trophy if we had 22 Irish clubs while Scotland which has a stronger football set up only has 12. Also the Irish clubs are far smaller. They would need to enter only their bigger sides like Linfield and Shamrock Rovers.
Also it would not help the trophy to grow if we had loads of Irish part time clubs while Scotland only had 12 clubs.
The trophy should reflect who has the stronger league to create a strong trophy.

So just have the winners of each league, a Celtic Champions League. Not bloody Hamilton, ain't nobody caring about them.

There is no football culture in Ireland at all and they all support English teams. And Celtic would be against since they get alot of their support from Ireland. Welsh teams play in the English leagues and Cardiff/Swansea wouldnt join.
Quady NO WAY - There is no way Ireland should get two places. But Scotland get just one., Every club in the Scottish Premier is full time and before lockdown would get thousands of fans at games. You are being deeply unreasonable to think Scotland should get one place, but that Ireland because it has two leagues should get two places. And why would Scotland be interested in playing in a min tournament of smaller Celtic sides, if there is only one Scottish side allowed. There has to be a hook to attract all Scottish Premier sides. And every Scottish Premier sides gets thousands of fans pre lockdown. That is not true for the Welsh and Irish Leagues.
Even Dundee have a stadium that can hold over 10,000 fans.
Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, Motherwell and Dundee united are far bigger than any club in the Irish League, Welsh Premier, or League of Ireland.
Irish people would be interested in playing a Scottish Premier Ross County. Because Ross County are full time.
You are being deeply unreasonable to think Ireland should get two places and Scotland only one. There will never be a Celtic Club Cup if it does not respect that Scotland has more full time sides who could attract big attendances to Irish and Welsh sides. The entire point in this trophy is to give Irish and Welsh league sides some big sides to play. Yet your idea is to have only one Scottish side, and two Irish sides and one Welsh Premier side. How does that help anyone?
Zurich. But the whole point is to develop a football culture in Ireland. Playing big Scottish sides would help Irish and Welsh soccer.,
Reply 11
Quady NO WAY - There is no way Ireland should get two places. But Scotland get just one., Every club in the Scottish Premier is full time and before lockdown would get thousands of fans at games. You are being deeply unreasonable to think Scotland should get one place, but that Ireland because it has two leagues should get two places. And why would Scotland be interested in playing in a min tournament of smaller Celtic sides, if there is only one Scottish side allowed. There has to be a hook to attract all Scottish Premier sides. And every Scottish Premier sides gets thousands of fans pre lockdown. That is not true for the Welsh and Irish Leagues.
Even Dundee have a stadium that can hold over 10,000 fans.
Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, Motherwell and Dundee united are far bigger than any club in the Irish League, Welsh Premier, or League of Ireland.
Irish people would be interested in playing a Scottish Premier Ross County. Because Ross County are full time.
You are being deeply unreasonable to think Ireland should get two places and Scotland only one. There will never be a Celtic Club Cup if it does not respect that Scotland has more full time sides who could attract big attendances to Irish and Welsh sides. The entire point in this trophy is to give Irish and Welsh league sides some big sides to play. Yet your idea is to have only one Scottish side, and two Irish sides and one Welsh Premier side. How does that help anyone?
Zurich. But the whole point is to develop a football culture in Ireland. Playing big Scottish sides would help Irish and Welsh soccer.,

How can it develop a football culture in Ireland if the competition is swamped with Scottish sides?

Can't help think CathScottish that your proposal is weighted towards Scottish sides due to your name.

Could have the winner of the Scottish Junior Cup in it.
This already exists, the Scottish Challenge Cup invites teams from Wales, England, Northern Ireland & Republic of Ireland to compete.
It should be swamped with Scottish teams because Scotland has the most pro sides. There is no point in creating a trophy where most of the sides are from mostly part time leagues. There is no way Welsh or Irish football would benefit from playing in a trophy swamped by part time sides. The entire point would be Scotland would not be harmed by playing in the trophy. But the Irish and Welsh sides would benefit from playing pro sides from the Scottish Premier.
I am not asking for teams from the Scottish Junior Cup. I am asking for teams from the professional Scottish Premier, where every teams is full time and has at least four figure attendances.
Scotland would be putting the most on the table to help the other Celtic nations develop their club sides.
But Scotland has to get something in return.
Reply 14
It should be swamped with Scottish teams because Scotland has the most pro sides. There is no point in creating a trophy where most of the sides are from mostly part time leagues. There is no way Welsh or Irish football would benefit from playing in a trophy swamped by part time sides. The entire point would be Scotland would not be harmed by playing in the trophy. But the Irish and Welsh sides would benefit from playing pro sides from the Scottish Premier.
I am not asking for teams from the Scottish Junior Cup. I am asking for teams from the professional Scottish Premier, where every teams is full time and has at least four figure attendances.
Scotland would be putting the most on the table to help the other Celtic nations develop their club sides.
But Scotland has to get something in return.

How about including the USA? Since that's where the Scottish and Irish populus ran off to when sheep got so profitable.
(edited 2 years ago)
I think the USA would be too far to travel for Welsh and Irish sides, and even some Scottish sides. I would prefer a Celtic Cup of largely Scottish full time sides that would give the Irish and Welsh sides something to aim for. I also think the Cornwall and the Isle of Man, have the potential to have full time sides,
As Welsh and Irish football improves more Irish and Welsh clubs could join the Cup each season. But it make no sense to refuse teams getting thousands of fans from Scottish Premier and replace them with teams struggling to get a few 100 fans. Having only 1 or two few Scottish full time clubs in the trophy would just lead to a low status trophy that would never take off.
The whole point in having 12 Scottish Premier sides in the trophy is that it would be seen as a top tier trophy of full time Scottish sides. so it would have the status of the Scottish FA Cup or Scottish League Cup for Scottish sides. ,
Welsh and Irish football would grow as more of their teams turned full time to play in the trophy,
Reply 16
I think the USA would be too far to travel for Welsh and Irish sides, and even some Scottish sides. I would prefer a Celtic Cup of largely Scottish full time sides that would give the Irish and Welsh sides something to aim for. I also think the Cornwall and the Isle of Man, have the potential to have full time sides,
As Welsh and Irish football improves more Irish and Welsh clubs could join the Cup each season. But it make no sense to refuse teams getting thousands of fans from Scottish Premier and replace them with teams struggling to get a few 100 fans. Having only 1 or two few Scottish full time clubs in the trophy would just lead to a low status trophy that would never take off.
The whole point in having 12 Scottish Premier sides in the trophy is that it would be seen as a top tier trophy of full time Scottish sides. so it would have the status of the Scottish FA Cup or Scottish League Cup for Scottish sides. ,
Welsh and Irish football would grow as more of their teams turned full time to play in the trophy,

When's it starting?

Quick Reply

Latest