The Student Room Group

Thinking about switching to learning automatic

I've done five driving lessons in a manual car, and haven't driven outside of these lessons as my parents don't feel comfortable taking me driving. That likely has contributed to the issue I'm having, as each driving lesson it feels like I'm relearning rather than revising. I'm finding driving difficult and getting my head around how the clutch and gears work.

I know if I spend enough time I will likely get my head around it, and it will become second nature, but I don't know if it's worth it. Yes, I will be able to drive both cars, but manual cars are being phased out, and by 2030 (or 2035?) no more manual cars will be produced. I don't intend to buy a car for at least the next three years, and perhaps quite a few years after that, so by the time I buy a car, it will almost certainly be an automatic. There's also the aspect of, if I try to learn automatic and find it a lot easier that could mean I would be more likely to pass my driving test.

My driving instructor also said there's a new bill in the House of Commons which is considering allowing automatic drivers to be allowed to drive manual cars, but that's sus because I haven't found anything about it online, but he does seem like a professional guy who knows what he's talking about, so I don't know if you guys have heard anything about it.

I know people online usually always say to learn manual, but with these factors at play, I don't know if it's worth it. What do you guys think?
Hi!

Im not learning to drive till next year, however, I do think that it is necessary to learn manual - I know that manuals are being phased out here in the UK (stupid in my opinion), but what about countries abroad? If you want to rent a car and they don't have automatics your kinda stuffed,,, (plus manuals are more fun to drive [speaking from experience]) Somehow I don't think you'll be allowed to drive manuals with an automatic license...

The only thing I could suggest for more practice is having someone else sit with you as you drive? Its just a waste of money if your driving lessons are turning into revision/re-learning lessons.

Here are the requirements for your passenger supervisor (its pretty lax I won't lie):
https://www.admiral.com/magazine/guides/motor/supervising-a-learner-driver

Summary:
- Have had a full driving licence for three years (from countries in the European Union or European Economic Area)
- Be qualified to drive the type of vehicle they are supervising in (example - manual car licence)
- Hold the correct car insurance or make sure the learner driver has provisional insurance

- Are over 21

The link tells you other details that might go forgotten about the insurance side and other bits but those are the main bits for who can supervise you.

Hope this helps! Good luck!!!
People have been telling me manual cars are on the verge of being phased out for about 25 years now...still waiting.

Just my 2p but I still say learn manual, if only to better understand how the cars transmission does what it does. For your first few lessons the 'relearning' thing is pretty normal, and once you do get the hang of the clutch you'll always be able to go back to it.

TBH pretty normal for your parents not to let you near their cars till you learn to control one, realistically most would only let you practice in their car when nearly test ready and you aren't going to burn out the clutch or such.
Original post by StriderHort
TBH pretty normal for your parents not to let you near their cars till you learn to control one, realistically most would only let you practice in their car when nearly test ready and you aren't going to burn out the clutch or such.

Oh that is a good point... kinda costly to get a new clutch. I'm surprised my mother didn't faint when she smelled the clutch I had destroyed :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending