Help to get back into Christianity (Protestant)?

Watch
athena5967
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello!

I haven't been overly religious since around the time I was leaving my junior school (christian school to international school for senior aka no religion). It's been around 5-7 years.

In this time, even if I didn't pray regularly or sing hymns or go to church, I would still pray when something important was happening, never say God's name in vain, and still believed in some sort of power above, which I called God possibly due to me not quite being able to let go of christianity.

Anyway, in the last week or so, I have had this overwhelming feeling of needing to be religious again, I'm not entirely sure why or how, but I have.

Does anyone have any help for me to get started as its been so long that I really don't remember much other than the Lord's Prayer. Anything and everything is appreciated - I feel so lost trying to get back to the warm community, especially during Covid when I can't go to my church at the moment.
emmacharl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by athena5967)
Hello!

I haven't been overly religious since around the time I was leaving my junior school (christian school to international school for senior aka no religion). It's been around 5-7 years.

In this time, even if I didn't pray regularly or sing hymns or go to church, I would still pray when something important was happening, never say God's name in vain, and still believed in some sort of power above, which I called God possibly due to me not quite being able to let go of christianity.

Anyway, in the last week or so, I have had this overwhelming feeling of needing to be religious again, I'm not entirely sure why or how, but I have.

Does anyone have any help for me to get started as its been so long that I really don't remember much other than the Lord's Prayer. Anything and everything is appreciated - I feel so lost trying to get back to the warm community, especially during Covid when I can't go to my church at the moment.
There’s a few apps you can download that show you bible verses every day which you can reflect on. Your local church might also be holding virtual events if there’s any way you can check
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
do you like podcasts? cuz i can recommend some good ones to inspire you and help you meditate on God

Transformation Church (Pastor Michael Todd)
Churchome (Pastor Judah Smith)
anything by Pastor Dharius Daniels, Pastor Robert Madu, or Christine Caine (they all travel and speak at different churches, so search them by name )
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello!

. . .
There's an international meeting on Zoom log in 92272015606 at 10am today, will last about 90 mins. you can chat after in breakout rooms
Previous meeting uploaded to youtube:

spring.n
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello!

Find multiple bible study teachers online, don’t listen to just one as there’s less likelyhood you’ll start believing false teachings, a very good guy to listen to for proof is Sean Mcdowell, he talks about archeological evidence and stuff like that, and watch the series “The Chosen”, you can download “The Chosen” app which is completely free and you can watch the series for free. There’s the bible app on the phone but it’s very difficult to understand the bible without context so please start listening to bible studies and go to church. Here is some encouragement also, if you feel guilty of your past mistakes that is good, pray and repent to God and He will forgive you and you will be free from all of that. Just remember this will not be an easy road, because Christianity is about loving Jesus(above all) and loving someone comes with sacrifice. You may have to give up certain habits and personal beliefs because God sees all and knows all and we aren’t as smart as we think, but you will see all the good things that come from your faith as you grow as a christian. You will be amazed at how your life has changed for the better. I personally was cleaned from sexual sins and addictions which made me feel worthless and dirty, and i was cured of my depersonalisation disorder(you can read up on it, it was horrendous i’m so happy that I’ve been delivered from that.)
Abbiegiglio
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey there! I find the YouVersion bible app is great. It has guided prayers to help prompt you, a verse of the day for reflection and many devotional plans to choose from. Most importantly just talk to God! Keep pressing on in prayer, He loves to spend time with you. I would really recommend joining a church (even online) and if your a student check out your unis Christian union. Keep following this feeling back to the Lord, He cares for you.
intheimageofGOD
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello!

hello brother, i want to make one thing clear, its not about the religion but about the person, Jesus its not about going to church but it is all about Jesus he is the only way the truth and the life. you said you have been having this overwhelming feeling that is God calling you closer to him. I encourage you to read the Gospels so matthew mark luke and john, i would choose john as that is my favoruite book in the Bible, but before you read repent, so say sorry for your sins for your disobediance and ask for help, prayer is more than just a repetitive line you say a couple of days but its like you are literally going to the throne of God and speaking to him but before you do that repent.

so please try to read the gospels and pray more often speak to God and remember all these denomenations and things are nothing they are all man made paul said this i am a christian not catholic not protestant but christian that means follower of christ you follower the person Jesus dont get stuck on denomenations and traditions. if u need anything im here always. God bless.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is a European Christian camp happening this week, live 10am & 6pm I think.
Or click on camp recordings, "Test_. . . " is testimony, people saying how they found salvation and other benefits such as healings.
Last edited by NJA; 1 month ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is my advice.

Do be utterly sure about your good intentions beforehand. Find a appropriate adult only church service as well. See if you can also attend a weekly prayer meeting or bible study class or group for Christians. Make time to say a daily prayer each day in the morning or evening too.
Remember that many churches will host or hold a number of fun appealing church services and social events each year, attend some. Order useful educational resources to help to boost your faith and confidence at church.
Be positive in addition and try to smile at other people. Take part in the church service each week. Church is meant to be fun not scary. Make the most of it. Choose a local church that aligns to your specific branch of Christianity though. In other words if you are a liberal Christian then try to find a forward thinking local church that allows the members that freedom etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
2.94%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (10)
14.71%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
14.71%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
11.76%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (26)
38.24%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (12)
17.65%

Watched Threads