The Student Room Group

What’s wrong with me?

Obviously no one here knows me so won’t be able to tell me but how can I find out what’s wrong with me? There’s clearly something wrong with me because literally no girl goes for me. They all just reject me or only want to be friends with me. I’ve asked friends (both guys and girls) and none of them can tell me. They all say they don’t know why and that they think I’m a great guy. 1 or 2 guys have bluntly said it’s because I’m ugly. Is this likely to be true? I’ve also read stuff by life and dating coaches and tried applying their stuff and it doesn’t work for me. Tried improving confidence, pursuing passions and hobbies etc too.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First things first - "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" - just because someone may think you're ugly, doesn't mean everyone will think that. Sure we have demands in society of what is supposedly the most "appealing" person.. but, that's just ********. Ugly isn't even a thing, in my opinion. If I don't find someone attractive, that's ok. Someone will though. There will be a person out there who will find you attractive.. but more importantly like you for your attributes, morals, personality because looks aren't the only thing..

So I think an important thing would be your age, because depending on that.. looks tend to be more important and what's "cool" more than actually dating someone for them as themselves. Not in all cases but if you find some guys dating around lots of girls.. it probably is unlikely to be a true connection. If you're young, especially in this generation.. there is a lot of importance on your looks, when it shouldn't be like that. I find this generation of dating to be really difficult, people don't want to commit as much and I mean thats ok but it is a problem within society as a whole. Not everyone is like this of course.. but what I'm trying to say is, that isn't your fault.

Anyway, if we're talking about you personally.. yeah I'm sure everyone can work on themselves as a person to better themselves.. but there is nothing wrong with you. The first step is loving yourself, yeah it sounds basic but why live life caring about finding a relationship? You're the centre of yourself, you look out for you and those that are in your life you care for, you enjoy your time, hobbies etc.. and allow things like that come naturally. A person will show up in your life at some point and it will just happen, usually when you least expect it. If you seriously feel there is something wrong though, maybe lack of social skills, you have insecurities about how you look, maybe mental health problems, maybe you approach girls in the wrong way etc then therapy is a good route. From what you're saying, you seem to feel there is something wrong with you and you can't get girls - that in itself is not true, I doubt you've even met half the population of girls.. and this is a reflection of some insecurities.. which is totally normal but it's ok to go talk to someone about it. Maybe the girls you're interested in aren't even right for you yano?

Hope this somewhat helps :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Obviously no one here knows me so won’t be able to tell me but how can I find out what’s wrong with me? There’s clearly something wrong with me because literally no girl goes for me. They all just reject me or only want to be friends with me. I’ve asked friends (both guys and girls) and none of them can tell me. They all say they don’t know why and that they think I’m a great guy. 1 or 2 guys have bluntly said it’s because I’m ugly. Is this likely to be true? I’ve also read stuff by life and dating coaches and tried applying their stuff and it doesn’t work for me. Tried improving confidence, pursuing passions and hobbies etc too.

I think you’re too fixated on trying to get with a girl rather than just taking your time and improving your self confidence. You don’t wanna be moving mad. There’s nothing wrong with you, not every girl has to like you but if you’re having self-esteem issues you could work out, be more kind to yourself and love yourself before focusing on girls. Perhaps, it could be how you’re going about the situation, you might just not be their type or you’ve allowed yourself to get in the friendship zone. Make it clearer earlier on that you’re interested before the friendship develops. Don’t listen to other men.... men don’t even know what they’re talking about most of the time and girls get hooked on them for the wrong reasons.
I’m gonna do what most student room losers will not do and not sugar coat and tell you a load of ********.
If your going for girls who are out of your league in terms of attractiveness, then your gonna fail 90% of the time. If girls aren’t interested in you it could be; your not physically attractive, your personality is not that attractive, your neither of these things and are extremely weird so a turn off.
At this age we have a general idea of how good looking we are, and judging by your lack of girls and your friends remarks we can say you aren’t really physically attractive at the moment. Also, your personality of being a really great guy could be a problem. Girls don’t like an easy guy, who will do everything for them. No one likes a simp. Ofcourse you need to be a nice guy, but girls aren’t into weak appearing men sexually it’s not attractive.

What can you do? You need to increase your attractiveness. Take a look at yourself and what features don’t you like. What’s your body like? A guy who is a 5/10 immediately goes to a 7-8/10 just in terms of sexual attractiveness when they are physically fit and muscular. Do you keep yourself tidy, is your hair a mess or do you have acne? Both can be solved and it’s just more strings to your bow.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SuttonOG
I’m gonna do what most student room losers will not do and not sugar coat and tell you a load of ********.
If your going for girls who are out of your league in terms of attractiveness, then your gonna fail 90% of the time. If girls aren’t interested in you it could be; your not physically attractive, your personality is not that attractive, your neither of these things and are extremely weird so a turn off.
At this age we have a general idea of how good looking we are, and judging by your lack of girls and your friends remarks we can say you aren’t really physically attractive at the moment. Also, your personality of being a really great guy could be a problem. Girls don’t like an easy guy, who will do everything for them. No one likes a simp. Ofcourse you need to be a nice guy, but girls aren’t into weak appearing men sexually it’s not attractive.

What can you do? You need to increase your attractiveness. Take a look at yourself and what features don’t you like. What’s your body like? A guy who is a 5/10 immediately goes to a 7-8/10 just in terms of sexual attractiveness when they are physically fit and muscular. Do you keep yourself tidy, is your hair a mess or do you have acne? Both can be solved and it’s just more strings to your bow.

I agree with this person, maybe not all of his wording per say, but I see where he's coming from.. I still agree with my previous post but..
Of course you should take care of basic things, physically and mentally because yes that will make you more attractive to others but most importantly it will make you feel good about yourself. Keeping clean and tidy, gaining confidence within yourself will come naturally when you focus on yourself. So yeah, I think you've got some decent perspectives.. but one thing I'll say is, don't fake who you are that would be the only issue.
So as far as the advice he's given you "Girls don't like an easy guy" yes that's true, but don't be a complete a-hole either. Be you but a happier better version of you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Bxkah
I agree with this person, maybe not all of his wording per say, but I see where he's coming from.. I still agree with my previous post but..
Of course you should take care of basic things, physically and mentally because yes that will make you more attractive to others but most importantly it will make you feel good about yourself. Keeping clean and tidy, gaining confidence within yourself will come naturally when you focus on yourself. So yeah, I think you've got some decent perspectives.. but one thing I'll say is, don't fake who you are that would be the only issue.
So as far as the advice he's given you "Girls don't like an easy guy" yes that's true, but don't be a complete a-hole either. Be you but a happier better version of you.

Over the years I’ve tried alot of these things. I also gave up for a few years and just focused on having a good life. Other times, I’ve considered the concept of leagues and going for girls who are less sought after by other guys/who don’t get as much attention and I still get rejected or told how much of a great guys am and that they just want to be friends with me. So that’s why I say clearly there’s something wrong with me.
Reply 6
Over the years I’ve tried alot of these things. I also gave up for a few years and just focused on having a good life. Other times, I’ve considered the concept of leagues and going for girls who are less sought after by other guys/who don’t get as much attention and I still get rejected or told how much of a great guys am and that they just want to be friends with me. So that’s why I say clearly there’s something wrong with me.

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? All I can really advice you on is what I told you in my previous posts as I can't know you and your issues personally. There's always been a thing of if you're fixating on something too much, it won't happen. I personally would want to meet someone naturally rather than actively seeking for it. Maybe it just isn't your time, maybe it can come across desperate to some girls, if youre actively asking a lot of them out or approaching them, its almost as if you're not fussy about who. The only reason I've suggested therapy is because you have concerns about there being something wrong with you. Maybe it will give you some insight on how to deal with that and will be able to tell you if you have some difficulties in that area, whether that is autism, or social anxiety etc. who knows, I can't say. There is more to life than girls and as much as I appreciate it can be lonely or make you feel down with rejection maybe its time to just focus on other things for now but if its a big issue in your life, then seeking professional help, a couple of sessions of therapy to get to the problem is a pretty good option. Romantic relationships are never something that can be forced.
Reply 7
Original post by Bxkah
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? All I can really advice you on is what I told you in my previous posts as I can't know you and your issues personally. There's always been a thing of if you're fixating on something too much, it won't happen. I personally would want to meet someone naturally rather than actively seeking for it. Maybe it just isn't your time, maybe it can come across desperate to some girls, if youre actively asking a lot of them out or approaching them, its almost as if you're not fussy about who. The only reason I've suggested therapy is because you have concerns about there being something wrong with you. Maybe it will give you some insight on how to deal with that and will be able to tell you if you have some difficulties in that area, whether that is autism, or social anxiety etc. who knows, I can't say. There is more to life than girls and as much as I appreciate it can be lonely or make you feel down with rejection maybe its time to just focus on other things for now but if its a big issue in your life, then seeking professional help, a couple of sessions of therapy to get to the problem is a pretty good option. Romantic relationships are never something that can be forced.

I’m 30. I pretty much have given up and accepted that I’ll never know what it’s like going on a first date with a woman. And I was fine with it for the last few years but I’m not really anymore. And I know that the issue is that I can’t get a date. That’s literally the only reason I’m not happy and I have tried focusing on my life, improving myself etc. No matter how hard I try or how much I don’t try, women I meet just all see me as a platonic friend only. I’ve been rejected by over 100 women in my life.
If you have female friends, maybe you could ask them to be honest with you, and tell them, from their perspective, what it is about you that makes them just want to be friends with you only? I find if you open up your feelings to people, they tend to do the same back.
Reply 9
Original post by markova21
If you have female friends, maybe you could ask them to be honest with you, and tell them, from their perspective, what it is about you that makes them just want to be friends with you only? I find if you open up your feelings to people, they tend to do the same back.

Well presumably they just don’t find me attractive. Along with every other woman I’ve asked out. On apps it’s even worse - I’ve tried premium paid editions of dating apps and I get 0 matches after months of swiping yes for pretty much everyone.

I highly agree with this. At this point you need it even if it damaged your friendship with them. Do it with someone nice but say don’t hold back and don’t tell me what I wanna hear because I’m past that point and need to know now
The thing about women is, they don't have to find a man visually attractive. If they get to know an ordinary looking man, and like his personality, and see that he is kind, etc. that in itself is enough attraction for them. They then want to be with you, spend time with you, develop feelings for you and the rest develops naturally.( EDIT. I'm a 53 year old woman, btw).
(edited 2 years ago)
The thing about women is, they don't have to find a man visually attractive. If they get to know an ordinary looking man, and like his personality, and see that he is kind, etc. that in itself is enough attraction for them. They then want to be with you, spend time with you, develop feelings for you and the rest develops naturally.

If this is true, then there is clearly something about my personality which is unattractive to 100% of women.
If this is true, then there is clearly something about my personality which is unattractive to 100% of women.

Then speak to them. Ask them to be honest with you, as a friend.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
I’m 30. I pretty much have given up and accepted that I’ll never know what it’s like going on a first date with a woman. And I was fine with it for the last few years but I’m not really anymore. And I know that the issue is that I can’t get a date. That’s literally the only reason I’m not happy and I have tried focusing on my life, improving myself etc. No matter how hard I try or how much I don’t try, women I meet just all see me as a platonic friend only. I’ve been rejected by over 100 women in my life.

Ok I understand a little more now knowing your age, not having that experience and stuff must be very frustrating and lonely for you. You aren't alone though, a lot of people do struggle with these things and maybe you just haven't had the right tools for dating. The thing is, being a bit older and not having the experience, you won't always relate or have the qualities maybe people women your age would be looking for.. which sucks but it doesn't mean there aren't women out there who have a similar experience to you. Have you ever tried therapy in relation to this? I think speaking on here about it has been a good step for you but talking to professionals and people who will know more about relationship advice is your best bet. Relationship stuff - continue with coaches and people who personally work with adults who haven't had experiences dating much and for your own personal issues of thinking theres something wrong with you - therapy. Actively do both
Have you tried lifting weights and getting shredded?

Women do kind of throw themselves at you if you have a good body honestly lol. I've been skinny, fat and athletic so I know how differently you're treated depending on your build.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Bxkah
Ok I understand a little more now knowing your age, not having that experience and stuff must be very frustrating and lonely for you. You aren't alone though, a lot of people do struggle with these things and maybe you just haven't had the right tools for dating. The thing is, being a bit older and not having the experience, you won't always relate or have the qualities maybe people women your age would be looking for.. which sucks but it doesn't mean there aren't women out there who have a similar experience to you. Have you ever tried therapy in relation to this? I think speaking on here about it has been a good step for you but talking to professionals and people who will know more about relationship advice is your best bet. Relationship stuff - continue with coaches and people who personally work with adults who haven't had experiences dating much and for your own personal issues of thinking theres something wrong with you - therapy. Actively do both

Well I don’t know if there’s something wrong with me. But if I’m not getting dates, I’m clearly doing something wrong or there’s something about me which is unattractive to every woman I’ve asked out in my life. I also now tend to ask out women who don’t get that much attention from other guys and I still don’t get anywhere.
Reply 17
Well I don’t know if there’s something wrong with me. But if I’m not getting dates, I’m clearly doing something wrong or there’s something about me which is unattractive to every woman I’ve asked out in my life. I also now tend to ask out women who don’t get that much attention from other guys and I still don’t get anywhere.

This is why I'm suggesting you go to therapy. If you tell them about it during your sessions they could guide you on where you're going wrong. You need to speak to a professional about relationship/dating stuff. Maybe you're not reading women properly and you're approaching women who don't show interest in you but you don't see it, so you try and then get rejected.
You just said "You are not getting dates". Why the fixation with going on a date? My 24 year old son has probably never been on a proper date with a girl, yet he has female friends. Some are just friends, and some he has had no strings sex with, one at the moment that they are both happy with as neither want a proper, full on relationship at this point, but both have "needs". Just chat to the females you know. Get to know them and let them get to know you. Any date can follow on much further down the line.
You're just not experienced with sending the right signals off in terms of a romantic relationship
No dating coach etc can help with you there, you just have to keep going
The more genuine you are the more likely you are to find someone long term

Maybe you could change your approach and begin with a more relaxed arrangement like fwb to start with

Get going to clubs and bars etc now restrictions are easing as well, and let your hair down!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending