The Student Room Group

What do I do in order to do my apprenticeship?

I've done three animal qualifications:
Animal care level 2 work-base
Animal care level 2 technical
Animal management level 3 (year 1)

I've decided that I would like to work in a veterinary practice, as i've been offered the opportunity of a VCA (veterinary care assistant) apprenticeship, but to do the apprenticeship i would obviously need to be in college and the only course i've found that covers this is: animal care & welfare assistant apprenticeship, but the animal care level 2 work-base is also known as the same thing as the animal care & welfare assistant and both cover the same thing (profolios)

So my question is that if the course i've done is basically the same as the course needed to do the apprenticeship then would I have to still do it anyway or can I do the apprenticeship without going to college?
Original post by Alicehale6
I've done three animal qualifications:
Animal care level 2 work-base
Animal care level 2 technical
Animal management level 3 (year 1)

I've decided that I would like to work in a veterinary practice, as i've been offered the opportunity of a VCA (veterinary care assistant) apprenticeship, but to do the apprenticeship i would obviously need to be in college and the only course i've found that covers this is: animal care & welfare assistant apprenticeship, but the animal care level 2 work-base is also known as the same thing as the animal care & welfare assistant and both cover the same thing (profolios)

So my question is that if the course i've done is basically the same as the course needed to do the apprenticeship then would I have to still do it anyway or can I do the apprenticeship without going to college?

An apprenticeship requires you to study. So basically you either go for a higher level of that qualification or you go straight into the job (which is different from the apprenticeship).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Hoc est Bellum
An apprenticeship requires you to study. So basically you either go for a higher level of that qualification or you go straight into the job (which is different from the apprenticeship).

Well I was offered an apprenticeship at a vets for a VCA (veterinary care assistant) and to do that I would have to do the animal care & welfare assistant apprenticeship course since I think that is the only thing that covers it, But my first course that i've done: animal care level 2 - work-base is also known as the same name and both consist of the same content.
And I want to do the apprenticeship so I can't really do a higher course cause that will be a veterinary nursing course which will mean I couldn't do the apprenticeship.

But since I think that both courses are the same except one is an apprenticeship and the other is a full time course, but do I still do the animal care& welfare course despite the fact that it is the same as the one I have already completed?
I’ve seen some wording that states you can’t repeat the same identical apprenticeship (even if it’s a different employer) after completing one, but it’s not applicable to full time college to apprenticeship.

If you want to progress beyond level 3 after your college course... You can find what frameworks are offered by employers here:
https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards
There are some relevant level >4 apprenticeship standards, but not many.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending