What devices do you have currently?
Iphone

Laptops researched:
Laptop 1 -

Laptop 2 -

Laptop 3 -

Additional Comments:
Don’t mind buying second hand. £500 is my max
Hi, apologies you've not had a response.

Based on your requirements (using this for writing documents on MS Word), Surface Go 2 or a Chromebook would fit your needs quite nicely and starts from around £359 for brand new.

Students are also eligible for a discount. Have a look here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/d/surface-go-2/8pt3s2vjmdr6?ocid=AID2200083_SEM_Cj0KCQjw6NmHBhD2ARIsAI3hrM1TkPTAHElqoY1j5tvMe8OzCC0C8UbBsSR-O6gQk0VzRX-HvuXSzY4aAk27EALw_wcB%3aG%3as&ef_id=Cj0KCQjw6NmHBhD2ARIsAI3hrM1TkPTAHElqoY1j5tvMe8OzCC0C8UbBsSR-O6gQk0VzRX-HvuXSzY4aAk27EALw_wcB%3aG%3as%2cCj0KCQjw6NmHBhD2ARIsAI3hrM1TkPTAHElqoY1j5tvMe8OzCC0C8UbBsSR-O6gQk0VzRX-HvuXSzY4aAk27EALw_wcB%3aG%3as&s_kwcid=AL!4249!3!522935056714!e!!g!!surface+go&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6NmHBhD2ARIsAI3hrM1TkPTAHElqoY1j5tvMe8OzCC0C8UbBsSR-O6gQk0VzRX-HvuXSzY4aAk27EALw_wcB&activetab=pivotverviewtab

Maybe someone else can link you some actual laptops though within £500.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you sure you want a 15.6" laptop?
I find this size so big and heavy that I wouldn't call them laptops. I'd call them mobile workstations. Fine if your laptop goes from a desk, to your car in the car park to your desk at home.

If you carry it around on public transport, or walking to uni or around uni, it's a millstone. If you're a 6'5" rugby prop forward: not a problem. If you have a ballerina build it would be a big issue. And if you're like 5'10" and weigh 11 stone a 15.6" laptop would be a pain to carry around.

For 14" laptops for a humanities student for MS Word, web browsing, video conferencing, email, simple spreadsheets and drawings, watching videos - whilst being light, rugged, having a good screen and keyboard and generall good engineering all round, you could offer £180 for this:

g[/s]Pe0AAOSwQRJg9T44]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255059108074?hash=item3b62b520ea:g:Pe0AAOSwQRJg9T44

This is a great deal on a 13.3" laptop:
g[/s]H20AAOSwdBpggGYM]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164909589914?hash=item266560a59a:g:H20AAOSwdBpggGYM

I think that this 15.6" Dell Latitude is a bit pricey:
g[/s]U2QAAOSwXk5g5Lea]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184926983187?hash=item2b0e81d413:g:U2QAAOSwXk5g5Lea

Look out for other deals on Dell Latitude 7490's, 7390's as well as Lenovo X1 Carbons and T480's and HP 840's (later generations) and 830's. On ebay and facebook marketplace.

Used premium business laptops like the ones I've mentioned above are great - and highly cost effective - solutions for general student IT use. For a user such as yourself there's no actual benefit to you spending more than £300 on a laptop - because there are so many great deals on used premium business laptops.
magicgirl
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you for all these suggestions.
I understand the difficulties with larger laptops and I’m not totally against a smaller size but I kinda feel with my ADHD and the fact I always lose my reading glasses, I would be better of with a larger screen to avoid further eye strain. At work I use a slightly smaller one and when I’m tired, it can be particularly difficult to use comfortably.

I have had some bad experiences with second hand laptops which is why I wanted to try and buy a new one if possible. It wasn’t so bad as they were just for things I couldn’t do on my phone but now, I want something I am happy to use. I do appreciate the suggestions though and will definitely look at these. Now that I have Realised that I can use tv/monitor to address screen size issue when home, it may be fine to get something a bit smaller.

My course doesn’t start until October so I have a bit of time to think about it and very grateful for all the input.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads