The Student Room Group

Didn't do to well on my A level mocks

I didn't get the grades that I wanted. I revised and did practice papers near exam time but I've been revising and going over my classwork at the beginning of year 12. I was planning on going into allied healthcare but with the grades I got, I don't think that it will be possible. I got D in history and Chemistry and I got an E in biology. What can I do now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MadameMal
I didn't get the grades that I wanted. I revised and did practice papers near exam time but I've been revising and going over my classwork at the beginning of year 12. I was planning on going into allied healthcare but with the grades I got, I don't think that it will be possible. I got D in history and Chemistry and I got an E in biology. What can I do now?

That's unfortunate to hear... What are the minimum entry requirements for the universities you want to go to?
You can move forward from here, do you know where you lost marks in your papers? If so, then that's something to work during Summer- this doesn't mean working 24/7 and having a horrible summer but a balanced working style! ☺️
Also, don't forget teachers have to give you a UCAS predicted grade and impure you're teachers and tutor know what a hardworking student you are- talk to them, express how you're unhappy with your grades and wanted to do so better, say that you have lots more potential!
Lastly, don’t worry, there are always options available if you don’t get offers this year e.g. take a gap year or do a year for a course and then join onto the one you want… don’t stress! Move forward positive and determined! 😁

Get your papers back and see where you went wrong. Talk to your teachers about additional work for the holiday.

What grades have you been working at? There's six months before the UCAS deadline so you can influence predicted grades.
Reply 3
My teachers believe that I can continue into year 13 and there are going to be exams in October time for ucas applications. Hopefully my grades will go up.

Any useful websites to help with revision will be great 😊😊
I did the exact same subjects and didn’t perform well in year 12 but managed to bring my grades up 2-3 grades for each subject. I would personally say for chemistry to revise the markscheme and do as many calculations questions as they’re easy marks to pick up. For biology you can memorise the markscheme but I found highlighting key words and commands words really helped me to understand what the examiner was looking for e.g linking topics or for that specific application question. Perhaps watch videos on people going through questions. For history just try and plan as many essays as you can and understand the structure for each question and ask for feedback from your teachers. You could also go through questions with markscheme or your textbook initially so you get the grips of what examiners are looking for and then try to answer questions independently. Feel free to ask any more questions!

Websites and resources:
Science skool
Tailored tutors
Physics and maths tutors
Past papers questions (including specimen papers 1 and 2)
Youtube - Biology with Carol
Youtube - Allery Chemistry
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you guys for these wonderful messages. These grades did really bring me down and I’m definitely going to be using these tips during the summer. Anymore tips will be great tho🤗😏 😉
what is the grade requirements for allied healthcare
Reply 7
They usually ask for BBB but it can vary from CCC to AAB depending on the University
I'm really sorry to hear about your grades but I got DDDD in my mocks and still managed to pull myself to get A*A*AA for the actual exams within the timespan of 3 months. It really comes down to revision technique as well as exam techniques. Feel free to get in touch - I'll be more than happy to share with you :smile:
Reply 9
My teachers believe that I can continue into year 13 and there are going to be exams in October time for ucas applications. Hopefully my grades will go up.

Any useful websites to help with revision will be great 😊😊

Savemyexams.co.uk for Biology and Chemistry (they have specific exam notes for each board)
They also have worksheets but MS is paid so idk if that'll help
They just updated their content.

For Chemistry I know a good free online course (with great vids and worksheets) but its for CIE.
Maybe on their YouTube channel you can find specific help (vids that the syllabus have in common)- Chemistry with Bilal Hameed

If you are into flashcards, Check Quizlet. Search the Chapter name and Board for example, and there are premade flashcards by other students that will help (for all subjects).

Good sites with past papers and mark schemes
- Papacambridge.com
-Gceguide.com

Print the spec and learn only what's required. Saves a lotta time.
Instead of re-reading and making notes try active recall ( quizzes, practice questions, past paper questions, small tests)

EDIT
Just doing the past papers is not enough btw, remember to check them and implement the keywords that the examiners want the next time you come across the question.
Also remember that in mark schemes, the wrong answers are also given but they say r- which means reject or i- which means ignore. You might already know that but still
(edited 2 years ago)

Any tips for me I’m doing the exact same a levels is sep :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Ghostface6001
Any tips for me I’m doing the exact same a levels is sep :smile:

I use Physics and Maths Tutor a lot for my revision for Biology and Chemistry and during my lessons in sixth form. It is a really good website to use as it has AS and A level questions for Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Psychology and Computer Science for different exam boards. they also have questions from the old specification which are useful to use. For History, doing your own research about Era is useful instead of the facts that are given by the teachers. Doing research about the key people in the time period is useful as it gives a background of what happened
It's a mock test at the end of the day, you can retake and it's no big deal. Exams and grades are overrated anyway
I don't think you should worry, life goes on, there will be many other opportunities that will come your way. Chin up son.
Reply 14
Aww thanks guys. These messages and tips do help me in many ways :h::smile:
Aww thanks guys. These messages and tips do help me in many ways :h::smile:

Hey MadameMal, I saw your message but looks like TSR isn't letting me reply to PMs yet for some reason :/
Reply 16
Really that’s strange
Original post by shimothy32
I'm really sorry to hear about your grades but I got DDDD in my mocks and still managed to pull myself to get A*A*AA for the actual exams within the timespan of 3 months. It really comes down to revision technique as well as exam techniques. Feel free to get in touch - I'll be more than happy to share with you :smile:

how did u achieve this? i am currently in this stage😕
Reply 18
Back here again…. Anyone got any advice on how to boost my grades… I’ve tried notes watching videos practice questions im still getting low grades in my subjects. Anything would help

Just try to do better next time

Latest