Manahil01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Name:  20210711_115549-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  26.0 KB
in this question 15 the answer is D and in question 12 answer is D.Why cant conduction be a means of heat transfer for electric grill whereas conduction is a mean of heat transfer from warm air to the sheet of ice on the river.Please explain this to me bcz I am confused.These seem to contradict one another bcz in Q 15 radiation only is the means of heat transfer whereas in Q12 its both variations nd conduction.i eman shouldnt conduction also be a means of heat transfer from electric grill to bread even though it will be very slow.Please help me out here.
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Manahil01)
Name:  20210711_115549-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  26.0 KB
in this question 15 the answer is D and in question 12 answer is D.Why cant conduction be a means of heat transfer for electric grill whereas conduction is a mean of heat transfer from warm air to the sheet of ice on the river.Please explain this to me bcz I am confused.These seem to contradict one another bcz in Q 15 radiation only is the means of heat transfer whereas in Q12 its both variations nd conduction.i eman shouldnt conduction also be a means of heat transfer from electric grill to bread even though it will be very slow.Please help me out here.
The difference is that in 12 the air is physically in contact with the ice and this enables conduction. There needs to be contact for conduction to happen.
In 15 the heating element is not physically in contact with the bread. So no conduction.
Manahil01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
But the air particles are
in contact with the heating element and these air particles do come in contact with the bread wouldnt that be conduction aswell?
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Manahil01)
But the air particles are
in contact with the heating element and these air particles do come in contact with the bread wouldnt that be conduction aswell?
In practice, no, because air does not really conduct heat. What happens with air and other fluids is convection, where the particles physically move and carry the heat. As the heating element is above the toast, you don't get transfer by convection because the hot air particles will rise (convection current) and move away from the bread. In the case of the ice, the warmer air particles are actually in contact with the ice.

I will admit though that this question is a little bit concerning, in that the situation is not as clear cut as they would like it to be, and you are right to question this.
Last edited by Stonebridge; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
4.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
15.22%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (5)
10.87%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (4)
8.7%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (20)
43.48%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
17.39%

Watched Threads