The Student Room Group

Rejected for masters

I applied for a conversion course in journalism. I have an undergraduate degree in history. The uni’s course website page states that you don’t need any prior experience. However, I do have experience - I’ve done freelance writing and run my own blog.
I had to have an interview and they told me I didn’t get accepted because I don’t have as much experience as the other candidates. They told me I need to get experience as a ‘creative professional.’ If I was a creative professional, I don’t think I’d need to do the course.
I’m very confused as to why I was interviewed in the first place because i included info about my experience in my personal statement. Also, other people on the interview had done journalism undergrad. I feel like the whole process was unfair and wasted a lot of my time. I also feel lied to about needing experience when the course website states otherwise.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by olxvia
I applied for a conversion course in journalism. I have an undergraduate degree in history. The uni’s course website page states that you don’t need any prior experience. However, I do have experience - I’ve done freelance writing and run my own blog.
I had to have an interview and they told me I didn’t get accepted because I don’t have as much experience as the other candidates. They told me I need to get experience as a ‘creative professional.’ If I was a creative professional, I don’t think I’d need to do the course.
I’m very confused as to why I was interviewed in the first place because i included info about my experience in my personal statement. Also, other people on the interview had done journalism undergrad. I feel like the whole process was unfair and wasted a lot of my time. I also feel lied to about needing experience when the course website states otherwise.

Go and learn the difference between 'absolute' and 'relative' and then view your situation through the lens of 'relative'.
It could just be that the competition was particularly strong, the uni will want to fill the course with the best candidates it can get. Although it's a conversion course they will be looking for people who know what the course involves and have a good motivation for wanting to do it (interest and future career goals). Writing based subjects are also subjective, and the uni could have thought that others showed a better talent for writing and journalism within their personal statements and previous work (again this is subjective and they'll be looking for the best fit for their teachers).

Don't get disheartened though. I think there's been more applicants to masters courses this year and people wanting to change career direction as a result of the covid situation. It could have been that the competition was particularly strong this year, or perhaps the specific uni you applied to gets a lot of good applicants and you might need to apply to some other uni choices too.
If you've already done some freelance work and have a degree in history then do you even need a journalism masters ?
Reply 4
Original post by Kogomogo
It could just be that the competition was particularly strong, the uni will want to fill the course with the best candidates it can get. Although it's a conversion course they will be looking for people who know what the course involves and have a good motivation for wanting to do it (interest and future career goals). Writing based subjects are also subjective, and the uni could have thought that others showed a better talent for writing and journalism within their personal statements and previous work (again this is subjective and they'll be looking for the best fit for their teachers).

Don't get disheartened though. I think there's been more applicants to masters courses this year and people wanting to change career direction as a result of the covid situation. It could have been that the competition was particularly strong this year, or perhaps the specific uni you applied to gets a lot of good applicants and you might need to apply to some other uni choices too.

Yes that’s true, thank you for your reply!
Reply 5
Original post by WazzWazz98
If you've already done some freelance work and have a degree in history then do you even need a journalism masters ?

Wanted to learn about it in more depth. I’d ask a similar question to those accepted who already have undergraduate degrees in journalism.
Original post by olxvia
Wanted to learn about it in more depth. I’d ask a similar question to those accepted who already have undergraduate degrees in journalism.

That's perfectly understandable
Will you reapply for masters degrees now then ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending