FSan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello,
I was learning about covalent bonding and was Introduced to the expansion of the octet. However the textbook I am using does not explain it very well and any research I have conducted comes up with highly detailed information that I do not understand.
It would be really helpful if someone could give me a summery of the expansion of the octet and the rule.
Thank you in advance.
Kim J
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
https://chemistryguru.com.sg/expansion-of-octet-rule
You will find this helpful
videos and summary
GCM42
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by FSan)
Hello,
I was learning about covalent bonding and was Introduced to the expansion of the octet. However the textbook I am using does not explain it very well and any research I have conducted comes up with highly detailed information that I do not understand.
It would be really helpful if someone could give me a summery of the expansion of the octet and the rule.
Thank you in advance.
Some elements are able to expand their octet, violating the rule we learned at GCSE. This is because some elements have access to d-orbitals (and f) which means they can have more than 8 electrons in their outer shell. These types of covalent compunds are called hypervalent, such as SF6 of XeF4.

There are also covalent compounds that are electron deficient (they have less than 8 electrons in their valence shell), such as BF3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.36%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.45%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.15%
I need help with my personal statement (91)
41.94%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (53)
24.42%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.84%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (17)
7.83%

Watched Threads