The Student Room Group

Salary for 16 year old

Hi there,
So I got a job at papa johns and they are going to pay me minimum wage (i think it £4..)
But 16 year olds at dominos get paid like £6 something.
So I don't really understand this. Someone help. Is it worth doing this job?
Reply 1
Original post by Lemon 24
Hi there,
So I got a job at papa johns and they are going to pay me minimum wage (i think it £4..)

The minimum wage for people aged 16 and 17 is £4.62 per hour.

If an employer wants to pay more than the minimum then they can.

The risk (for an employer) of paying the bare minimum when other similar jobs pay more is that they'll have difficulty retaining good staff, as the good staff will find it easy to get a better-paying job somewhere else.
Hi there,

I'm not sure what the minimum wage is without looking. But (especially with younger staff) some places may only pay minimum wage or just above. Take the job for now. It's easier to find a job whilst already employed. Then take something better paying when you find something.
Reply 3
Hi there,

Hi. Sorry, this has nothing to do with your question, but I wanted to ask you a few questions, if that's okay.
I applied for a job at Papa John's as a Pizza Maker, and they called me - I have an interview tomorrow. At 16, what does your job require you to do - because I know it differs after you turn 18.
- What was the interview process like?
- Can a 17 year old be a Pizza maker?

Reply 4
Original post by AJ.15
Hi. Sorry, this has nothing to do with your question, but I wanted toI ask you a few questions, if that's okay.
I applied for a job at Papa John's as a Pizza Maker, and they called me - I have an interview tomorrow. At 16, what does your job require you to do - because I know it differs after you turn 18.
- What was the interview process like?
- Can a 17 year old be a Pizza maker?

They told me to come in and asked me for availability. At 16 you just make pizzas. They give you training. But I dont recommend it cuz 16 year olds get £4.60 an hour, which is minimum wage. Ppl at dominos get £6 per hour. They dont even pay u during training. I am planning to quit even tho i just got the job. Anyway try dominos or something but do update me on papa johns.
Reply 5
They told me to come in and asked me for availability. At 16 you just make pizzas. They give you training. But I dont recommend it cuz 16 year olds get £4.60 an hour, which is minimum wage. Ppl at dominos get £6 per hour. They dont even pay u during training. I am planning to quit even tho i just got the job. Anyway try dominos or something but do update me on papa johns.

Ah I see. I will, thank you so much :smile:
Reply 6

Ah okay, so when they called me yesterday to come in, I assumed it was an interview. They just showed me around and I started working. Yes, I get minimum wage - £4.60 I believe, and I was paid for the “training”. I understand your frustration but tbh I have nothing to do over the summer so I accepted the job. I’ve never had a job before and everywhere else didn’t accept my application. So my advice to you is- don’t quit unless you have another job lined up. I’m going to year 13 after the summer so I’m going to quit in like 5-6 months, but I think this is a good opportunity and you gain experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending