Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
hi so i had Edinburgh firmed but I'm starting to have second thoughts mainly because everyone i know including my bf has been applying to Canada and like idk i haven't seen a lot of people review the uni for the subject I'm interested in (astrophysics). I know it's rated well but i don't think ratings are even reliable so idk can someone talk about their (or your friends's) experience? I'm also poc so Im a bit concerned about feeling a bit too out of place when it could be so much easier just being with the people i know
Debranoel01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Why did you firm Edinburgh in the first place?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Debranoel01)
Why did you firm Edinburgh in the first place?
I still really like the city and the course modules themselves. Also the option of studying extra subjects in the first two years, the study abroad program etc. It was also the cheaper option out of the other ones I had. Its probably just fomo since everyone else I know is going somewhere else.
Debranoel01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
My tutor always told me that the most important thing when picking a university is that you like the location and course modules because everything else can change. You and your boyfriend could break up or you could lose your friends. Plus you can make new friends.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Debranoel01)
My tutor always told me that the most important thing when picking a university is that you like the location and course modules because everything else can change. You and your boyfriend could break up or you could lose your friends. Plus you can make new friends.
yeah thats how im trying to think of it. Changing over s/o doesn't seem smart
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
Personally, I feel like before you think about others, you need to think about yourself. I firmed UoE as well, and that's where I'm intending on going. However, that doesn't mean I haven't had doubts. With all the uncertainty surrounding covid, as well finances, I was questioning myself if it's really smart of me to go to Scotland. But then I remember why I firmed that school, even though I had other options (UCL, Imperial, Bristol, St Andrews, Trinity College, unis in my home country...). Edinburgh looks fantastic, and it's a real student city. It reminds me of home, and I can only imagine the opportunities I will receive from going to one of the highest ranking universities in the world. Most importantly, the course I am doing is just right for me. Boyfriends and friends come and go, but your career and future starts now. Then again, not everybody is as career-driven. But, you should also be thinking about why it would be YOU that would have to move to be with your s/o? Why couldn't he go to a Scottish university, as you? It's tough going to a completely new environment, but I am sure you will thrive and meet fantastic people.
pineapplemango
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I will be going to Edinburgh this September, and I was having a lot of second thoughts as well so I reached out and got to know a bunch of people who are either current or former students through various uni groups online, as well as talked to people I know who studied there in the past.

I cant speak for your course modules as its not related to what I am going to study, so that is just something you have to personally consider. However, I have not talked to a single person who did not absolutely love Edinburgh. It seems to be one of the cities and universities with the best student communities in the world, and its an amazing place to study both in terms of classes and location. It is very easy to make friends there, especially if you join one of many societies and such. There are also a buuuunch of groupchats you could join; I joined one for my programme and got to know a lot of people and I already feel like we are friends. So I do not think it would be a hard place to get social connections etc, although you will naturally feel out of place for the first few weeks trying to get familiar with everything, but that is always the case. I was very hesitant about UoE in the beginning, but now I cant wait to go. You also mentioned that youre POC, but I do not believe that will have an effect on your student experience in Edinburgh. Most of the people I have talked to in the international student groupchats are POC and people in Edinburgh generally seem open minded and friendly (i havent personally been yet, so dont take my word for it 100%)

ALSO, I can say this. I previously skipped out on the opportunity to study abroad a few years ago, because I chose to stay close to my boyfriend at the time, and we ended up breaking up, so that was not at all worth missing out on. I also know a lot of people who studied in other countries and maintained long distance relationships without any major issues, so if you and your boyfriend are meant to be it will work out regardless of where you are.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by pineapplemango)
I will be going to Edinburgh this September, and I was having a lot of second thoughts as well so I reached out and got to know a bunch of people who are either current or former students through various uni groups online, as well as talked to people I know who studied there in the past.

I cant speak for your course modules as its not related to what I am going to study, so that is just something you have to personally consider. However, I have not talked to a single person who did not absolutely love Edinburgh. It seems to be one of the cities and universities with the best student communities in the world, and its an amazing place to study both in terms of classes and location. It is very easy to make friends there, especially if you join one of many societies and such. There are also a buuuunch of groupchats you could join; I joined one for my programme and got to know a lot of people and I already feel like we are friends. So I do not think it would be a hard place to get social connections etc, although you will naturally feel out of place for the first few weeks trying to get familiar with everything, but that is always the case. I was very hesitant about UoE in the beginning, but now I cant wait to go. You also mentioned that youre POC, but I do not believe that will have an effect on your student experience in Edinburgh. Most of the people I have talked to in the international student groupchats are POC and people in Edinburgh generally seem open minded and friendly (i havent personally been yet, so dont take my word for it 100%)

ALSO, I can say this. I previously skipped out on the opportunity to study abroad a few years ago, because I chose to stay close to my boyfriend at the time, and we ended up breaking up, so that was not at all worth missing out on. I also know a lot of people who studied in other countries and maintained long distance relationships without any major issues, so if you and your boyfriend are meant to be it will work out regardless of where you are.
Thank you so much this was really helpful I have also been trying to get in contact with current students specifically for my subject and I haven't heard any specific complaints, and the ones that are there are mostly universal to the uni experience as well as the subject in general.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Personally, I feel like before you think about others, you need to think about yourself. I firmed UoE as well, and that's where I'm intending on going. However, that doesn't mean I haven't had doubts. With all the uncertainty surrounding covid, as well finances, I was questioning myself if it's really smart of me to go to Scotland. But then I remember why I firmed that school, even though I had other options (UCL, Imperial, Bristol, St Andrews, Trinity College, unis in my home country...). Edinburgh looks fantastic, and it's a real student city. It reminds me of home, and I can only imagine the opportunities I will receive from going to one of the highest ranking universities in the world. Most importantly, the course I am doing is just right for me. Boyfriends and friends come and go, but your career and future starts now. Then again, not everybody is as career-driven. But, you should also be thinking about why it would be YOU that would have to move to be with your s/o? Why couldn't he go to a Scottish university, as you? It's tough going to a completely new environment, but I am sure you will thrive and meet fantastic people.
Thats true! Personally I don't want either of us to change our options just because of our relationship but doubts always creep up yk. I did end up talking about this with him however and communicating cleared up a lot of things!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
12.66%
I need help researching courses (7)
8.86%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (32)
40.51%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (21)
26.58%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.53%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
3.8%

Watched Threads