3rd Year Liverpool Vet Student, Ask me your vet school questions

Watch
jstone12308
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi all

I'm going into my 3rd year of veterinary medicine at Liverpool in September and as the application deadline for 2022 entry is rapidly approaching, I thought I would make a thread where people can ask me questions about applying for vet med, what the course is like, work experience and anything else.

Also, I've just set up a website that people might want to visit if they want help with personal statements, feel free to PM me for a link as not allowed to post on here.

Fire away guys
sophie9170
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm coming to Liverpool in September and I am really worried and excited!

Can you please explain a bit about how you manage the course load, your social life and any societies? As well as study methods?
hollypowell04
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jstone12308)
Hi all

I'm going into my 3rd year of veterinary medicine at Liverpool in September and as the application deadline for 2022 entry is rapidly approaching, I thought I would make a thread where people can ask me questions about applying for vet med, what the course is like, work experience and anything else.

Also, I've just set up a website that people might want to visit if they want help with personal statements, feel free to PM me for a link as not allowed to post on here.

Fire away guys
Hello! I was just wondering how much work experience is the ideal amount in your opinion. I understand that most unis ask for a minimum of around 3-6 weeks, but on average how many weeks do successful applicants actually complete? Hope this makes sense and thank you!
jstone12308
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by hollypowell04)
Hello! I was just wondering how much work experience is the ideal amount in your opinion. I understand that most unis ask for a minimum of around 3-6 weeks, but on average how many weeks do successful applicants actually complete? Hope this makes sense and thank you!
Getting the most work experience that you can get is the best thing to do. I would aim to get lambing and dairy work experience and then a variety of vet work experience e.g. small animal, farm and equine if possible. I would also try and do 2 weeks at any vet practice that you go to.

The more work experience you have, then the more stuff you have to write about on your personal statement and you have more things to talk about in an interview.
jstone12308
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by sophie9170)
I'm coming to Liverpool in September and I am really worried and excited!

Can you please explain a bit about how you manage the course load, your social life and any societies? As well as study methods?
In 1st year the course load isn't too bad. There is a lot of new stuff to learn and although most of it isn't difficult, the sheer amount of things to learn can be difficult. The best thing to do is just to not let things pile up and make sure that you work through lectures as you do them and to try and revisit information often. Cramming before exams is easy to do for GCSEs and A Levels but is not really feasible for vet school exams because there is so much to learn.

You can always make time to do social things and take part in socities or do sports, but you just need to be aware of what work you have to do and try not to fall behind.

For studying I prefer to make a list of questions for each lecture and then work through those questions over and over, because we don't have access to past papers and I feel that making notes and reading isn't as effective.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.57%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
15.66%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (30)
15.15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (54)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (37)
18.69%

Watched Threads