Jbthompson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi I’m currently a year 13 student from Northern Ireland. Planning on putting Swansea - finance as my first choice. Is there anything that I should be aware of before I do so, as I have one year left to make my decision.

Thanks
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Jbthompson)
Hi I’m currently a year 13 student from Northern Ireland. Planning on putting Swansea - finance as my first choice. Is there anything that I should be aware of before I do so, as I have one year left to make my decision.

Thanks
Every university will be different. Swansea is a mid sized city and the university has 2 seaside campuses. Finance is held on the new Bay Campus about 2 and 1/2 milesout of the city.

One of things you need to consider is how you intend getting here as it will be quite difficultto get here from Northern Ireland. I think it is planned to run an air service Belfast to Cardiff otherwise yu would need to fly to Bristol from Belfast I suspect. Bristol to Swansea is a 2 hour journey and Cardiff about an hour. You could also come over by boat and that would be best done by Rosslare to Fishguard which would mean a fair bit of travel through Ireland. Other crossings will leave a long drive to Swansea
Jbthompson
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Every university will be different. Swansea is a mid sized city and the university has 2 seaside campuses. Finance is held on the new Bay Campus about 2 and 1/2 milesout of the city.

One of things you need to consider is how you intend getting here as it will be quite difficultto get here from Northern Ireland. I think it is planned to run an air service Belfast to Cardiff otherwise yu would need to fly to Bristol from Belfast I suspect. Bristol to Swansea is a 2 hour journey and Cardiff about an hour. You could also come over by boat and that would be best done by Rosslare to Fishguard which would mean a fair bit of travel through Ireland. Other crossings will leave a long drive to Swansea
Yea Belfast to Cardiff is the Normal route but I have looked into other routes getting there as well going through Dublin. Is bay campus available for first years?
Last edited by Jbthompson; 2 months ago
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yes the university has around 2000 rooms on the Bay, 1200 on Singleton and 700 in the student village. The Bay has the more modern accommodation but there are cheaper options elsewhere. Mostly first years stay in these and tend to move out for subsequent years. Students can apply for any accommodation they wish to irrespective of which campus they are studying it. Quite a few live on the Bay and travel to Singleton for lectures by bus. There is also a number of private halls in or near to the city centre some of which are currently in use and others opening this year or next.

As far as the flight I read the other day the company running it has gone into administration so you may need to fly elsewhere. The university does have ameet and greet at Heathrow for its international students whichI suspect you woud be able to book and pay for. Details are on the university website.
Jbthompson
Rep:
?
Yes the university has around 2000 rooms on the Bay, 1200 on Singleton and 700 in the student village. The Bay has the more modern accommodation but there are cheaper options elsewhere. Mostly first years stay in these and tend to move out for subsequent years. Students can apply for any accommodation they wish to irrespective of which campus they are studying it. Quite a few live on the Bay and travel to Singleton for lectures by bus. There is also a number of private halls in or near to the city centre some of which are currently in use and others opening this year or next.

As far as the flight I read the other day the company running it has gone into administration so you may need to fly elsewhere. The university does have ameet and greet at Heathrow for its international students whichI suspect you woud be able to book and pay for. Details are on the university website.
Yea, looked into bay campus and would probably be the best because of location depending if it get. Interesting about the flight company and probably something I would have to look into closer to the time.

Appreciate the help
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yea, looked into bay campus and would probably be the best because of location depending if it get. Interesting about the flight company and probably something I would have to look into closer to the time.

Appreciate the help
If you are coming over by plane you will probably have limited room for things. What you might find useful is that Wilko have a student range in most UK towns and cities. You can pick up things like bedding, crockery and cutlery there which would save you bringing them. You can either turn up and order or preorder for pick up. They used to have a parent student card but I dont know if they still do it. The parent puts money on the card and the student then goes in and buys things in the store. There are also supermarkets like Tesco you can use or Argos.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If there is anything you want to know regarding Swansea I will do my best to answer.
Jbthompson
Rep:
?
If there is anything you want to know regarding Swansea I will do my best to answer.
Yea that’s amazing thanks for the insight!
study2019
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yea that’s amazing thanks for the insight!
bay campus is beautiful,safe and secure.rooms are new modern and has a tesco,food court and santander bank on the campus..best wishes to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.89%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (44)
19.56%

Watched Threads