Is there any point in doing the LPC or SQE?

Watch
hannak1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hopefully, this is the correct place for this discussion. I'm basically planning on doing a masters in law in September but I'm hesitant to do the LPC or SQE. Just wondering what other law graduates are planning on doing. Are you waiting to see how the SQE route pans out or starting the LPC/SQE in Sept?
Sophia Dalal
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The sqe is what I was planning on doing at first as the quickest route. Then, I thought of just working which would not be the best thing to do right now because of the minimum wage. An Llm or a masters in law would make you more qualified. I had to think about it a lot but graduate schemes seem really interesting instead of doing choosing a specific route. Also, after the sqe you could do a history postgraduate. The universities that offer the routes is important. Whether to take the lpc or sqe is what is important because it can affect when to start studying and an sqe is much quicker and newer which most of the time the newest route is what I have been recommended to
hannak1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Sophia Dalal)
The sqe is what I was planning on doing at first as the quickest route. Then, I thought of just working which would not be the best thing to do right now because of the minimum wage. An Llm or a masters in law would make you more qualified. I had to think about it a lot but graduate schemes seem really interesting instead of doing choosing a specific route. Also, after the sqe you could do a history postgraduate. The universities that offer the routes is important. Whether to take the lpc or sqe is what is important because it can affect when to start studying and an sqe is much quicker and newer which most of the time the newest route is what I have been recommended to
Hi Sophia,

are you starting the SQE then? if so are you taking any prep courses and which provider will you be going with?
Sophia Dalal
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I can't decide on whether I should take the sqe or an llm as it will only take you to becoming a solicitor. Before an sqe I carried out an undergraduate in law. I had to switch from a-levels and a btec course before that loads of preparation which never worked out which is quite common. A while afterwards I went back to college to do an access course to higher education so I had to go to university and complete a degree. I only achieved an ordinary degree so doing an sqe would make more sense. I have applied for an IELTS. I changed my route but an Llm sound more interesting
Itssbeckie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm considering studying the sqe with a llm so i can actually try and fund it but no idea where to study it as i keep hearing mixed reviews of places and theres very limited places offering it at the moment
Sophia Dalal
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was thinking of staying away from home, Birmingham University has courses in law except I'm not sure where you can do an SQE except in the University of Law.
Itssbeckie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know theres a few places offering it, but the main one i hear people talking about is university of law and bpp but ive heard very mixed reviews about them
Sophia Dalal
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I haven't started applying yet even though accomodation has to be booked for September and ucas applications as well
The University of Law Students
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hannak1)
Hopefully, this is the correct place for this discussion. I'm basically planning on doing a masters in law in September but I'm hesitant to do the LPC or SQE. Just wondering what other law graduates are planning on doing. Are you waiting to see how the SQE route pans out or starting the LPC/SQE in Sept?
Hi hannak1

I am currently completing the LPC, LLM at ULaw and would be more than happy to answer any queries about studying there.

What law masters are you thinking of doing?

As a recent undergraduate law graduate, I appreciate there’s a lot of options in terms of how to best move forward (CILEx, Solicitor Apprenticeships, Paralegal Qualifications, not to mention the countless careers outside of law!!!) and so the best advice I can give is make sure you do your homework – whatever your decision.

I think the SQE is an exciting route to qualification and warrants some time to look into. I have attached the link for ULaw SQE page here. Another good tip for choosing courses and Universities is to look at their open days and talks – be it virtually or in-person.

As above, please do let me know if you have any questions about studying at ULaw.

All the best

James
ULaw Student Ambassador
wilsonchungalobe
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I believe some firms are biased towards the LPC but cannot confirm the standing on the SQE as it is too soon to tell.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.69%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.98%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.17%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (65)
26.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.03%

Watched Threads