Kit01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I want to do a PhD in psychology from Canada and I was wondering if a degree in neuroscience from king's college London will improve my chances of getting in? Because it's REALLY expensive for international students and I'm worried if it's worth it.
Last edited by Kit01; 2 months ago
Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Kit01)
I want to do a PhD in psychology from Canada and I was wondering if a degree in neuroscience from king's college London will improve my chances of getting in? Because it's REALLY expensive for international students and I'm worried if it's worth it.
KCL will provide a better education than most other unis. This will therefore make you a better candidate. The reputation of KCL will also be very helpful.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm confused why you are spending only £3000 there? Was there a zero missing? Is this a masters or an undergraduate degree you are considering?

In any case it's hard to say how much a degree from KCL will help with pursuing a PhD in another country. In the UK KCL does have a quite strong reputation in psychology, neuroscience and psychiatry as I understand, and I would imagine some of their work would be known internationally; how much of it, I'm not sure.

If it's an undergraduate degree though then this might be less "valuable" than a masters as you are not likely to be doing as much graduate level research with those researchers (if any), which is probably what would "make the difference" for a PhD programme in another country.
Kit01
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I'm confused why you are spending only £3000 there? Was there a zero missing? Is this a masters or an undergraduate degree you are considering?

In any case it's hard to say how much a degree from KCL will help with pursuing a PhD in another country. In the UK KCL does have a quite strong reputation in psychology, neuroscience and psychiatry as I understand, and I would imagine some of their work would be known internationally; how much of it, I'm not sure.

If it's an undergraduate degree though then this might be less "valuable" than a masters as you are not likely to be doing as much graduate level research with those researchers (if any), which is probably what would "make the difference" for a PhD programme in another country.
Yep there was a 0 missing 😖 thank you so much
Kit01
Rep:
?
It is a master's degree, but I'm still worried about the covid restrictions rn. Like it's probably not worth flying to the UK if classes are going to be online and idk what the job situation is like for international students rn. I had heard some horror stories last year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.73%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.23%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.23%
I need help with my personal statement (65)
42.48%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
23.53%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.96%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (12)
7.84%

Watched Threads