Best techniques for becoming more fluent in Spanish?

Watch
buttercupdogs
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I just finished my first year of Spanish A-Level and I found it so difficult! This is the first time I’ve ever taken Spanish, as I took German for GCSE and (stupidly) decided to take Spanish for A-Level. So, pretty much I’m a beginner half-way through my course. I struggle mainly with grammar; does anyone have any techniques or tricks to learning grammar well so you’re able to use it in all aspects (eg. writing, listening, reading, speaking)?
SlaveofAll
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Start with the pronouns and their declensions.
buttercupdogs
Rep:
?
Good idea!! Pronouns are hard in Spanish since you’ve got normal pronouns as well as reflexive and indirect and direct object ones (((><)))
bex285
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Can't recommend LightSpeed Spanish's YouTube channel/Podcasts enough.
buttercupdogs
Rep:
?
(Original post by bex285)
Can't recommend LightSpeed Spanish's YouTube channel/Podcasts enough.
Thank you!! I’ll definitely check them out !!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by buttercupdogs)
I just finished my first year of Spanish A-Level and I found it so difficult! This is the first time I’ve ever taken Spanish, as I took German for GCSE and (stupidly) decided to take Spanish for A-Level. So, pretty much I’m a beginner half-way through my course. I struggle mainly with grammar; does anyone have any techniques or tricks to learning grammar well so you’re able to use it in all aspects (eg. writing, listening, reading, speaking)?
Hi,

The best way to learn and increase fluency in a language is to immerse yourself in it as much as possible. Find some shows and movies in Spanish to watch, turn on the English subtitles. There is a plug in for Netflix that is available on Chrome that translates subtitles from whichever language into English, and it also gives explanations of some words. Also consider listening to Spanish speaking musicians or beginner friendly podcasts. For grammar, I would suggest reading. I used to read very basic books in French when I was still learning it (I'm talking books meant for children who are learning to read haha) and I worked my way to reading plays and 18th century literature in a few years. That's the best way to pick up on grammar and vocab. Do whatever interests you!

Samantha, UoP Rep
buttercupdogs
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi,

The best way to learn and increase fluency in a language is to immerse yourself in it as much as possible. Find some shows and movies in Spanish to watch, turn on the English subtitles. There is a plug in for Netflix that is available on Chrome that translates subtitles from whichever language into English, and it also gives explanations of some words. Also consider listening to Spanish speaking musicians or beginner friendly podcasts. For grammar, I would suggest reading. I used to read very basic books in French when I was still learning it (I'm talking books meant for children who are learning to read haha) and I worked my way to reading plays and 18th century literature in a few years. That's the best way to pick up on grammar and vocab. Do whatever interests you!

Samantha, UoP Rep
Thank you so much for your lovely reply it was really helpful! Reading basic books and building up grammar skills from there seems like a great idea that I’m going to definitely try, thank you !!
DeliaMoreno
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hola, can I recommend my video summaries on Youtube? My channel is Spanish no panic and I give lots of facts, figures, info, etc, etc ready to impress any examiner. I'm also on IG (SPANISH NO PANIC) where you'll find lots of tips and small pieces of info about all topics. Keep going, read lots, make sure you know your basic vocabulary for each topic and the present indicative and it'll allow you say lots of ideas. Buena suerte.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (362)
84.19%
No (68)
15.81%

Watched Threads