The Student Room Group

2021 A/AS Results Day Countdown: today is the day - well done everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by LunarSpacer
I've decided to check results first

Same here, if we met the conditions of the offer then we’re not gonna have to worry about the track being slow. If we missed it we might be pleasantly surprised 😀
Original post by mkost
Same here, if we met the conditions of the offer then we’re not gonna have to worry about the track being slow. If we missed it we might be pleasantly surprised 😀

yeah 😅😅😅😅
I m just worried about the moderation part. My school sent out an email saying that we have been subjected to significant moderation. Does anyone know what this could mean?
Original post by Maths neev
I m just worried about the moderation part. My school sent out an email saying that we have been subjected to significant moderation. Does anyone know what this could mean?

It means the school have submitted grades that significantly differ from those awarded in previous years, so the exam board have asked for evidence to back up the accuracy of these grade allocations and made any adjustments they deem necessary.
Original post by Maths neev

I think when your school submitted the grades, during the external quality assurance process the exam boards saw that the grades they submitted differ a lot to previous years so instead of asking for a small sample (2 subjects for GCSE and 1 for a-level), I guess the requested samplea of evidence from more subjects and asked for more student work, usually at a-level I think the guidance said 5 students).

As long as your school fully backed up the reasons for the grades and the evidence agreed to it, I reckon it would be fine.

Best of luck to you on your results and next steps
Original post by Ediewardí
Me too. How can they standardise results and ensure it’s fair when some schools didn’t take any exams/ some schools used exam board material/ some schools made their own questions? Grade boundaries surely will be different for every school so how does it work? Hopefully if we get ****ed over with grades again this year and everyone complains we might all end up getting our predicted grades again.

Tbh idk how they would standardise it, I know in schools they standardised internally (my school did this so I assume schools up and down the country must have done this) but externally idk how exam boards would standardise because as you said, schools may have taken different approaches to awarding TAGs this year.

I dont think they will do a u-turn this year tbh and even if they do, I am sure they will let us have the higher of the two (thay being our TAGs and the predicted grades)
Original post by CurryCurry2468
I think when your school submitted the grades, during the external quality assurance process the exam boards saw that the grades they submitted differ a lot to previous years so instead of asking for a small sample (2 subjects for GCSE and 1 for a-level), I guess the requested samplea of evidence from more subjects and asked for more student work, usually at a-level I think the guidance said 5 students).

As long as your school fully backed up the reasons for the grades and the evidence agreed to it, I reckon it would be fine.

Best of luck to you on your results and next steps

Hi thanks for the response.
Do u have any opinion on my situation in this
So i need 3 As right, in one subject i have got well into an A on one paper and like 3-4 marks off an A on another paper, subject 2 comfortable As everywhere and an A star in the very last mock paper. Subject 3 2 sets of mock paper with As ,one mock with few marks into it and one with many marks into an A.
The only thing i m worried about is that in one of my subject the teacher marking is off say 4-5 marks can be take away from 1 whole set of mock exam. Do u think this will cause problems or few teacher marking can be ignored?
(edited 2 years ago)
Guys I have a question regarding the expected grades, basically we did online quizzes through out the year and one big mock at the end of the year but it was set in person, in the p4 mock I did extremely bad, but ofcourse my online exams and assignments were all good, my question is, can the online assignments have enough weight compared with the in person mock to guarantee me atleast an E or a D, that's assuming my teacher put a D or E for me aswell, or will they have the audacity to drop it to a U?
Original post by Jakhan21064
Guys I have a question regarding the expected grades, basically we did online quizzes through out the year and one big mock at the end of the year but it was set in person, in the p4 mock I did extremely bad, but ofcourse my online exams and assignments were all good, my question is, can the online assignments have enough weight compared with the in person mock to guarantee me atleast an E or a D, that's assuming my teacher put a D or E for me aswell, or will they have the audacity to drop it to a U?

Depends on what theyre using as evidence, my college arent using anything we did online as evidence.
Original post by Unknown1232003
Depends on what theyre using as evidence, my college arent using anything we did online as evidence.

Well my school is using both that's why I wanna know if its okay for in person exam to be bad but online is good because its obviously sketchy af
Original post by Jakhan21064
Well my school is using both that's why I wanna know if its okay for in person exam to be bad but online is good because its obviously sketchy af

I think any assessments that were done later in the year (usually in term 5) and are part of the basket of evidence have more weighting compared to evidence from earlier in the year
I think any assessments that were done later in the year (usually in term 5) and are part of the basket of evidence have more weighting compared to evidence from earlier in the year

It depends on your college I think although they didn’t tell us explicitly all my teachers implied equal weighting.
your not gonna get any cos your having 1 year rest arnt you coochie i bet thats nice and relaxing thing to do with no stress:shakehand:
My school did that too
Original post by Kibser
Are your results read out to you on a scroll of vellum?

that sounds satanic

Not really. My school just done a HUGE exam season after the easter holidays with like 6 exams per subject. Those are the only exams that they're going to use. What I'm trying to say is it varies from school to school.
Original post by ineedhelpsohelp
Not really. My school just done a HUGE exam season after the easter holidays with like 6 exams per subject. Those are the only exams that they're going to use. What I'm trying to say is it varies from school to school.

saaaaame
me: has an unconditional offer
me, still:
thumb_first-date-kinda-nervous-60357182.png
Our school are using the exams we did in April/May and we did 4 exams for bio and chem each and 3 for maths. For maths we’ve been told that if you do badly in one of the exams they’ll use the exam we did halfway through year 12 (so basically getting the best 3 out of 4 exams) and it’s similar for biology & chem too.
Original post by mxx454
Our school are using the exams we did in April/May and we did 4 exams for bio and chem each and 3 for maths. For maths we’ve been told that if you do badly in one of the exams they’ll use the exam we did halfway through year 12 (so basically getting the best 3 out of 4 exams) and it’s similar for biology & chem too.

Same i did 2 exams each for physics maths and chem near the end of our term and they said if we did bad they can just remove some of it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending