2021 A/AS Results Day Countdown: today is the day - well done everyone!

Watch
Poll: How are you getting your results?
Collecting in person (419)
46.2%
Logging into college portal (156)
17.2%
Logging into exam board portal (77)
8.49%
Email from college (239)
26.35%
Through the post (11)
1.21%
Someone is collecting them for me (5)
0.55%
This discussion is closed.
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by lisani1_00)
how's everyone feeling ahead of results day?
I am fairly confident I will get the grades for my firm and insurance choice although my school decided to include an exam paper that we did as part of classwork as well as our May mocks as part of the final evidence base instead of their original plan which was the April mock and then the May mock.

As a class we overall performed very poorly on that November paper.

My predicted grade for Maths was a B and for my firm choice I need AAB so I am still confident I can get at least a B in maths cuz in the May mock I found it quite easy but when I found out that the November paper was being used instead of our April mock, I got so scared cuz I was thinking they would be grading us based off grade boundaries alone however they are using grade descriptors as well I believe plus more weighting will be given to the May mock so hopefully it all works out and I can still as a minimum, get a B in maths.

Also on results day, alongside our results we will also get a breakdown of the marks we achieved in the assessments we sat
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Useful reading

What Happens on Results Day - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...el-results-day
Can you predict what Universities may decide - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...on-results-day
CurryCurry2468
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
Results day is looming and TSR tradition means we have to have a countdown thread for everyone to get to know each other, talk about their hopes/fears and generally relax (as well as sharing advice and information before the big day). We'll update this post with pointers to advice and support soon but for now introduce yourselves

Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level?
2. What subjects?

For Yr 13:
3. What university is your firm/insurance?
4. Which subject?
5. What grades are required?
6. Going to uni this year or taking a gap year?

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted?
8. How are you feeling about results day?
9. Anything else to add?

Results Day Flowchart Imagepdf version
1. A-Level
2. Maths, Physics & Economics
3. Firm = Loughborough, Insurance = Leicester
4. Computer Science
5. AAB (Firm), ABB(Insurance)
6. Going uni this year
7. A*,A,B
8. I was feeling very confident these last few weeks however a couple of days ago I came across a file on the school website which outlines the final pieces of evidence they used and for maths, instead of using our April & May mocks, it shows they used our May mock & a set of papers we did back in November as classwork. As a class we did poorly on that set of papers (lowest grade was an E and I think the highest grade was a low B). So the last two days I have been stressing as this could adversely affect my maths grade however from what I have read online, teachers did not just use grade boundaries alone, apparently they made use of grade descriptors which hopefully means that for maths, the teachers did not just simply take an average from the two sets of mocks.
zoeeeeeee1216
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
Results day is looming and TSR tradition means we have to have a countdown thread for everyone to get to know each other, talk about their hopes/fears and generally relax (as well as sharing advice and information before the big day). We'll update this post with pointers to advice and support soon but for now introduce yourselves

Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level?
2. What subjects?

For Yr 13:
4. Which subject?

For everyone:
9. Anything else to add?

FAQs

RESULTS

When can I collect my results from school/college?

That depends on the arrangements your school/college make and is likely to be different this year - if you don't know the details then ring them up on Monday the 9th (there should be someone in that day) and ask.

How do I collect my results online?

Again, this depends on your exam boards and/or your school/college. If you don't know then ask them directly.

When do unis get our results?

UCAS get the results from the exam boards approximately a week before results day. They spend a day or two matching them to your applications and then send them on to universities either overnight Wednesday or Thursday.
Universities then spend Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday MANUALLY comparing every offer to the results to decide whether applicants have met their offers or not (and if not whether they can be accepted with lower grades).

I've change my mind about the course/university I want to go to - what do I do?

See this article https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...surance-choice

Track on Results Day

When will Track update?

Track will go live AFTER 8:30am on results day. UCAS say 8:30am (and 8am for Advisers) - it used to go live a little earlier, but the embargo time that UCAS and universities work to has been pushed back from 6am to 8:30am this year so it WILL NOT be before 8.30am. The embargo agreement is between UCAS, Universities, SQA and A level Exam Boards - no one is going to risk getting in trouble by releasing information early.

It WON'T go live at midnight.

Once it "goes live" EVERYONE will be able to see any decisions that their universities have sent to UCAS. Just because it's live doesn't mean it will update for everyone. About 100,000 people every year don't get a clear answer from Track first thing on Results Day - they have to collect their results and then ring up their firm/insurance uni.

My Track didn't change - is it worth hitting refresh until it does?
NO - once Track goes live again it then gets re-frozen in that state (because UCAS need to handle everyone and their dog hitting refresh constantly). Track WILL NOT CHANGE between 8am and midday. Hitting refresh just slows things down for everyone else.

Give yourself some good karma - get off Track and go and have a look on UCAS course search, get together your contact numbers for your unis, top your phone up with credit (and charge it) and get your results from school/college.

what will Track show?

It depends how quick your universities are. There's a lot of scenarios. The post below gives an idea of what might show,what that means and what you need to do about that. Use the flowchart at the end of this post as a quick reference
Track scenarios

My Track didn't change! That means I failed!

NO - Universities have to MANUALLY compare every set of results with the offer conditions - even if it's a simple YES or NO for every one of those that means a lot of data input to put in to their database to send through to UCAS.
If Track hasn't changed then that means that either:
a) You've met your offer and your uni knows that and hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
b) You've met your offer and your uni doesn't know that because your results got muddled up so they're waiting to talk to you to check before telling UCAS.
c) You've missed your offer but your uni wants you anyway but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
d) You've missed your offer but your uni want to make you an offer for a similar but less full course and haven't got round to telling UCAS.
e) You've missed your offer and your uni haven't decided yet whether they can take you or not - they might need to see how many Insurance people they have to take before they know they've got room first.
f) You've missed your offer and your firm uni doesn't want you but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
In other words - if Track hasn't changed that doesn't give ANY indication as to whether your results are good or bad. In fact in some ways it's good - of those applicants who got a definite answer on results day last year...?....150,000 of them were rejected by both their firm and insurance and placed in Clearing. Being in limbo for a couple of hours is a GOOD thing compared to that.

My Firm place has confirmed me! That means I passed my A levels!

NO - remember - these things are decided MANUALLY....someone somewhere sits down with a pile of UCAS forms and a list of results and ticks off results against offers.

If your firm has confirmed you - well done! You're in! BUT don't go expecting to see a long line of A grades. Just as a lot of unis can be slow in sending decisions to UCAS, some unis are VERY quick and will not only confirm the people who met their offers but will have confirmed a whole BUNCH of people who missed their grades.

Clearing ARRRRGH!

quick guide to Clearing
Spoiler:
Show
- Search for your subject areas/key words (there may be more than one eg you might find some courses listed in Biology that aren't listed in Life Sciences and vice versa) on UCAS course search (make sure you tick "courses with places available" and select the right place fee status).

- Note down the universities and courses that you're interested in - don't just rely on the UCAS website check out the websites for those universities - see if they mention the grades they want, find out a bit more about the course (eg does it have a compulsory module in a topic you hate or something that would put you off altogether).

- also double check that the course is still listed as having vacancies on the uni website.

- If you've got the grades and the course is still open and you fancy the uni RING THEIR HOTLINE (even now with lots of staff working from home ringing will get you a quicker response than using an online form/email)

They'll ask questions, if you match what they're after they might make you a verbal offer.
Be sure to ask
a) how long the offer is valid for
b) what accommodation is available
c) if they're running any open days over the weekend/have any virtual tours for you to visit (and whether they can hold your offer til after then)
d) when you can expect to get sent an email confirming the details of the offer (if you don't receive it then RING BACK - they might have misheard or mistyped your email address)

Repeat the ringing around until you're fed up of speaking. Collect a list of unis that have made you offers - DO NOT STOP AT THE FIRST OFFER.

At 3pm ish when track goes fully functional if you've got an offer you want to take up then add it on Track.

As long as you apply within the deadlines given then your uni should confirm this place within 24 hours (usually quicker) and it will show as your new Firm Unconditional place on Track. Then you just need to sort out accommodation and let student finance know about the new university/course

See the FAQ for more help.

I did really badly - what do I do now?
The lovely SarcAndSpark will be putting together a thread with information and advice on remakes/remarks/appeals
There will be threads in the applications, clearing and ucas forum for people planning to take a gap year and reapply and help available in the gap years

Results day stats from previous years:
Spoiler:
Show
On results day in 2017 (2018 and 2019 were similar, 2020 was weird):
58% of applicants were unconditional with their FIRM
5% were unconditional with their INSURANCE
1% of applicants were already unconditional with a clearing choice (Scottish/IB/reapplicants who had their results)
15% of applicants were in limbo waiting for a decision from either their firm or insurance.
22% were in clearing (either because they had no offers initially, didn't accept an offer initially or both their firm and insurance had rejected them).

By the end of Clearing last year:
62% of applicants were unconditional with their FIRM
6% were unconditional with their INSURANCE
6% were unconditional with a CLEARING choice
5% were still in limbo (these are usually international students who don't bother sending through their results or cancelling their applications)
0.1% were unconditional with an ADJUSTMENT choice
21% were still in clearing (because they decided to take a gap year or are international and had a place in a university in another country).
So about half the limbo Track people end up with their Firm, about half find a place through clearing and a smidge end up with their insurance.

1. A level
2. Geography, Biology, Maths and Chemistry
3. Warwick (Firm) /Anglia Ruskin (Insurance)
4. Biomedical science
5. AAB (Firm) / 120 UCAS points (Insurance)
6. Going to uni this year, hopefully
7. A*AAC
8. Anxious, scared and worried
9. -
Last edited by zoeeeeeee1216; 2 months ago
A_02
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by PQ)

Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level?
2. What subjects?

For Yr 13:
4. Which subject?

For everyone:
9. Anything else to add?

FAQs

RESULTS

When can I collect my results from school/college?

That depends on the arrangements your school/college make and is likely to be different this year - if you don't know the details then ring them up on Monday the 9th (there should be someone in that day) and ask.

How do I collect my results online?

Again, this depends on your exam boards and/or your school/college. If you don't know then ask them directly.

When do unis get our results?

UCAS get the results from the exam boards approximately a week before results day. They spend a day or two matching them to your applications and then send them on to universities either overnight Wednesday or Thursday.
Universities then spend Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday MANUALLY comparing every offer to the results to decide whether applicants have met their offers or not (and if not whether they can be accepted with lower grades).

I've change my mind about the course/university I want to go to - what do I do?

See this article https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...surance-choice

Track on Results Day

When will Track update?

Track will go live AFTER 8:30am on results day. UCAS say 8:30am (and 8am for Advisers) - it used to go live a little earlier, but the embargo time that UCAS and universities work to has been pushed back from 6am to 8:30am this year so it WILL NOT be before 8.30am. The embargo agreement is between UCAS, Universities, SQA and A level Exam Boards - no one is going to risk getting in trouble by releasing information early.

It WON'T go live at midnight.

Once it "goes live" EVERYONE will be able to see any decisions that their universities have sent to UCAS. Just because it's live doesn't mean it will update for everyone. About 100,000 people every year don't get a clear answer from Track first thing on Results Day - they have to collect their results and then ring up their firm/insurance uni.

My Track didn't change - is it worth hitting refresh until it does?
NO - once Track goes live again it then gets re-frozen in that state (because UCAS need to handle everyone and their dog hitting refresh constantly). Track WILL NOT CHANGE between 8am and midday. Hitting refresh just slows things down for everyone else.

Give yourself some good karma - get off Track and go and have a look on UCAS course search, get together your contact numbers for your unis, top your phone up with credit (and charge it) and get your results from school/college.

what will Track show?

It depends how quick your universities are. There's a lot of scenarios. The post below gives an idea of what might show,what that means and what you need to do about that. Use the flowchart at the end of this post as a quick reference
Track scenarios

My Track didn't change! That means I failed!

NO - Universities have to MANUALLY compare every set of results with the offer conditions - even if it's a simple YES or NO for every one of those that means a lot of data input to put in to their database to send through to UCAS.
If Track hasn't changed then that means that either:
a) You've met your offer and your uni knows that and hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
b) You've met your offer and your uni doesn't know that because your results got muddled up so they're waiting to talk to you to check before telling UCAS.
c) You've missed your offer but your uni wants you anyway but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
d) You've missed your offer but your uni want to make you an offer for a similar but less full course and haven't got round to telling UCAS.
e) You've missed your offer and your uni haven't decided yet whether they can take you or not - they might need to see how many Insurance people they have to take before they know they've got room first.
f) You've missed your offer and your firm uni doesn't want you but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
In other words - if Track hasn't changed that doesn't give ANY indication as to whether your results are good or bad. In fact in some ways it's good - of those applicants who got a definite answer on results day last year...?....150,000 of them were rejected by both their firm and insurance and placed in Clearing. Being in limbo for a couple of hours is a GOOD thing compared to that.

My Firm place has confirmed me! That means I passed my A levels!

NO - remember - these things are decided MANUALLY....someone somewhere sits down with a pile of UCAS forms and a list of results and ticks off results against offers.

If your firm has confirmed you - well done! You're in! BUT don't go expecting to see a long line of A grades. Just as a lot of unis can be slow in sending decisions to UCAS, some unis are VERY quick and will not only confirm the people who met their offers but will have confirmed a whole BUNCH of people who missed their grades.

Clearing ARRRRGH!

quick guide to Clearing
Spoiler:
Show
- Search for your subject areas/key words (there may be more than one eg you might find some courses listed in Biology that aren't listed in Life Sciences and vice versa) on UCAS course search (make sure you tick "courses with places available" and select the right place fee status).

- Note down the universities and courses that you're interested in - don't just rely on the UCAS website check out the websites for those universities - see if they mention the grades they want, find out a bit more about the course (eg does it have a compulsory module in a topic you hate or something that would put you off altogether).

- also double check that the course is still listed as having vacancies on the uni website.

- If you've got the grades and the course is still open and you fancy the uni RING THEIR HOTLINE (even now with lots of staff working from home ringing will get you a quicker response than using an online form/email)

They'll ask questions, if you match what they're after they might make you a verbal offer.
Be sure to ask
a) how long the offer is valid for
b) what accommodation is available
c) if they're running any open days over the weekend/have any virtual tours for you to visit (and whether they can hold your offer til after then)
d) when you can expect to get sent an email confirming the details of the offer (if you don't receive it then RING BACK - they might have misheard or mistyped your email address)

Repeat the ringing around until you're fed up of speaking. Collect a list of unis that have made you offers - DO NOT STOP AT THE FIRST OFFER.

At 3pm ish when track goes fully functional if you've got an offer you want to take up then add it on Track.

As long as you apply within the deadlines given then your uni should confirm this place within 24 hours (usually quicker) and it will show as your new Firm Unconditional place on Track. Then you just need to sort out accommodation and let student finance know about the new university/course

See the FAQ for more help.

I did really badly - what do I do now?
The lovely SarcAndSpark will be putting together a thread with information and advice on remakes/remarks/appeals
There will be threads in the applications, clearing and ucas forum for people planning to take a gap year and reapply and help available in the gap years

Results day stats from previous years:
Spoiler:
Show
On results day in 2017 (2018 and 2019 were similar, 2020 was weird):
58% of applicants were unconditional with their FIRM
5% were unconditional with their INSURANCE
1% of applicants were already unconditional with a clearing choice (Scottish/IB/reapplicants who had their results)
15% of applicants were in limbo waiting for a decision from either their firm or insurance.
22% were in clearing (either because they had no offers initially, didn't accept an offer initially or both their firm and insurance had rejected them).

By the end of Clearing last year:
62% of applicants were unconditional with their FIRM
6% were unconditional with their INSURANCE
6% were unconditional with a CLEARING choice
5% were still in limbo (these are usually international students who don't bother sending through their results or cancelling their applications)
0.1% were unconditional with an ADJUSTMENT choice
21% were still in clearing (because they decided to take a gap year or are international and had a place in a university in another country).
So about half the limbo Track people end up with their Firm, about half find a place through clearing and a smidge end up with their insurance.

Hi everyone!

1. AS or A level? A level
2. What subjects? Biology, Chemistry and Maths

For Yr 13:
3. What university is your firm/insurance? Was not successful
4. Which subject? Medicine
5. What grades are required? N/A
6. Going to uni this year or taking a gap year? Gonna check clearing nearer the time, but pretty much set for a gap year

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted? A*A*A
8. How are you feeling about results day? Nervous ofc so trying to distract myself atm
9. Anything else to add? Good luck everyone!!!
Last edited by A_02; 2 months ago
katie.weston
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mazmum)
Bump
Crazy, so close now
Last edited by katie.weston; 2 months ago
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey guys, :wavey:

Just to let you know I've combined a few conversations together as they were all about the same thing... counting down to results day! Good luck everyone and try not to stress too much, if there's anything TSR can do to help over the next few weeks please just let us know.

You got this guys! :yep:
shooonthebeat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
nah idc, man's in my bag with the music. **** uni, it's summer break.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by *_* i.o.i)
I wish I was given provisional A level results
Schools were told explicitly that they were not to give students any information about assessed grades.
CurryCurry2468
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Schools were told explicitly that they were not to give students any information about assessed grades.
I think it was only Walea who gave out provisional rescues
mjhmichael18
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
These are my current feelings about my grades and results:
(Original post by Kyle McNeil)
Hey everyone, to those doing GCSEs or A-Levels, how are you feeling about results day? Do you feel confident? Do you think your going to get the grades you deserve? What do you expect to get for each subject?
Yes, on August the 10th, I am worried about them. I need Bs in both Business Studies and Economics and a Merit in Law to get into DMU and I am not sure if I will get that. I did do some work of a B standard in both Business Studies and Economics but I am not sure if that will be used in working out my teacher assessed grades. We did lots of assessments in fact we did an assessment every week until the last week of going into college from the start of Easter term but I was never told the results of these assessments because they didn’t want me to know my grades before August the 10th.
mjhmichael18
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by A_02)
Hi everyone!

1. AS or A level? A level
2. What subjects? Biology, Chemistry and Maths

For Yr 13:
3. What university is your firm/insurance? Was not successful
4. Which subject? Medicine
5. What grades are required? N/A
6. Going to uni this year or taking a gap year? Gonna check clearing nearer the time, but pretty much set for a gap year

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted? A*A*A
8. How are you feeling about results day? Nervous ofc so trying to distract myself atm
9. Anything else to add? Good luck everyone!!!
1)A level
2)Business, Economics and BTEC Applied Law
3)De Montfort University or Coventry University
4)Accounting and Finance BA Hons
5)BCMerit
6)Depends on my grades, but I have got a gap year ready just in case it has to be that
7)DEMerit this was in November things may have changed
8) These are my current feelings about my grades and results:
(Original post by Kyle McNeil)
Hey everyone, to those doing GCSEs or A-Levels, how are you feeling about results day? Do you feel confident? Do you think your going to get the grades you deserve? What do you expect to get for each subject?
Yes, on August the 10th, I am worried about them. I need Bs in both Business Studies and Economics and a Merit in Law to get into DMU and I am not sure if I will get that. I did do some work of a B standard in both Business Studies and Economics but I am not sure if that will be used in working out my teacher assessed grades. We did lots of assessments in fact we did an assessment every week until the last week of going into college from the start of Easter term but I was never told the results of these assessments because they didn’t want me to know my grades before August the 10th.
9) Good luck to you all!
Last edited by mjhmichael18; 2 months ago
Akash1234567
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I cannot believe it. 13 days to go. Not long left at all.
Kyle McNeil
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
2 weeks to go! 😬😬😬
shooonthebeat
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
damn bro idek when uni is starting again
Unknown1232003
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Im so nervousssss i just hope i get into my firm😭😭😭😭 the only subject im worried about is chemistry because i kept getting like 30% in every assessment for the whole year and then in the final two assessments i got proper high percentages so idek how they decided my grade. Good luck everyone!
Unknown1232003
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
PQ Hi i just wanted to ask.. if we get higher grades than expected and we wanted to go through adjustment (subject to course availability) do we have to decline our firm and insurane in order to go through adjustment? Also, with clearing are unis more likely to be slightly lenient? For example if they needed BBB but you go BBC would they possibly give you an offer?

Thank you in advance!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Unknown1232003)
PQ Hi i just wanted to ask.. if we get higher grades than expected and we wanted to go through adjustment (subject to course availability) do we have to decline our firm and insurane in order to go through adjustment? Also, with clearing are unis more likely to be slightly lenient? For example if they needed BBB but you go BBC would they possibly give you an offer?

Thank you in advance!
For adjustment you just hit the big red button on Track (button might not be big and red). Your firm can see that you've hit the button but your firm offer stays in place.
You then call universities you're interested in and ask about adjustment vacancies, they'll make an offer and if you want to adjust to that university you ask the university to take you through adjustment (it's important to be clear if you are just enquiring about adjustment places or if you want to accept an adjustment offer - all the changes to your application are made by the university you adjust to so if you aren't clear and they think you're accepting an offer when you're just asking for information they could accidentally fish you away from your firm choice).
If you don't ask any university to take you through adjustment within 5 days then you stay with your firm choice.

Universities will sometimes be more lenient in clearing. If there's no information on the university website about what grades they will take in clearing then it's worth a phone call if you're within 2/3 grades of their normal offer (but the further away you are the more likely they will tell you no quickly).
PQ
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
12 days
shooonthebeat
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
50 years.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (61)
57.01%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (11)
10.28%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (16)
14.95%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (7)
6.54%
I haven't started researching yet (7)
6.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
4.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed