The Student Room Group

How many / what quotations do I need to remember for Jane Eyre GCSE?

How many / what quotations do I need to remember for Jane Eyre GCSE?
I've only got 10 so far, is this enough?
You have no business to take our books; you are a dependent, mama says; you have no money; your father left you none; you ought to beg, and not to live here with gentlemen’s children like us, and eat the same meals we do, and wear clothes at our mama’s expense.
- Chapter 1
I was a discord in Gateshead Hall: I was like nobody there; I had nothing in harmony with Mrs. Reed or her children, or her chosen vassalage. If they did not love me, in fact, as little did I love them.
- Chapter 2
I could not see how poor people had the means of being kind; and then to learn to speak like them, to adopt their manners, to be uneducated, to grow up like one of the poor women I saw sometimes nursing their children or washing their clothes at the cottage doors of the village of Gateshead: no, I was not heroic enough to purchase liberty at the price of caste.
- Chapter 3
I am glad you are no relation of mine: I will never call you aunt again as long as I live. I will never come to see you when I am grown up; and if anyone asks me how I liked you, and how you treated me, I will say the very thought of you makes me sick, and that you treated me with miserable cruelty.
- Chapter 4
It is far better to endure patiently a smart which nobody feels but yourself, than to commit a hasty action whose evil consequences will extend to all connected with you; and besides, the Bible bids us return good for evil.
- Chapter 6
And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh;—it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God’s feet, equal,—as we are!
- Chapter 23
In the deep shade, at the farther end of the room, a figure ran backwards and forwards. What it was, whether beast or human being, one could not, at first sight tell: it groveled, seemingly on all fours: it snatched and growled like some strange wild animal: but it was covered with clothing and a quantity of dark, grizzled hair wild as a mane, hid its head and face.
- Chapter 26
To live amidst general regard, though it be but the regard of working people, is like ‘sitting in sunshine, calm and sweet’; serene inward feelings bud and bloom under the ray.
- Chapter 32
I am no better than the old lightning-struck chestnut-tree in Thornfield orchard,’ he remarked ere long. “And what right would that ruin have to bid a budding woodbine cover its decay with freshness?
- Chapter 37
Mr. Rochester, if ever I did a good deed in my life—if ever I thought a good thought—if ever I prayed a sincere and blameless prayer—if ever I wished a righteous wish, I am rewarded now. To be your wife is, for me, to be as happy as I can be on earth.
- Chapter 38
i also did jane eyre, depends what exam board. which one are you doing?
Original post by milkgloss
i also did jane eyre, depends what exam board. which one are you doing?

thanks for the reply! i’m doing aqa gcse
no problem! ah ok, i did cie igcse. for us, we had an option of doing a whole text question (which means you would need to learn quotes) or an extract question (which meant that we had the extract, so we didn’t have to learn quotes). this might not be the same for you, however
Original post by milkgloss
no problem! ah ok, i did cie igcse. for us, we had an option of doing a whole text question (which means you would need to learn quotes) or an extract question (which meant that we had the extract, so we didn’t have to learn quotes). this might not be the same for you, however

ahh i see, thanks anyway tho!
Hello-

I didn't do Jane Eyre for gcse, but I got a 9 on AQA gcse and I'm writing on it for my A-level coursework so I promise I know what I'm talking about ahaha

I think the best way to learn quotes for GCSE is to find some that apply to as many different themes and characters as possible, because in the end that's what you'll be writing about in the exam. Write out a list of themes and characters you think you could be asked about, from past paper questions & the internet if you can't think of many, and see how well the quotes you already have fit to them. In my experience it's good to have at least two or three quotes for each theme / character, especially if you're aiming for top marks.

If there's any themes or characters you don't have any quotes for, make sure you find and learn some to fill the gaps. Try and find good multipurpose quotes so you don't have to remember as many!

Best of luck for your exams!!
Original post by amybower
Hello-

I didn't do Jane Eyre for gcse, but I got a 9 on AQA gcse and I'm writing on it for my A-level coursework so I promise I know what I'm talking about ahaha

I think the best way to learn quotes for GCSE is to find some that apply to as many different themes and characters as possible, because in the end that's what you'll be writing about in the exam. Write out a list of themes and characters you think you could be asked about, from past paper questions & the internet if you can't think of many, and see how well the quotes you already have fit to them. In my experience it's good to have at least two or three quotes for each theme / character, especially if you're aiming for top marks.

If there's any themes or characters you don't have any quotes for, make sure you find and learn some to fill the gaps. Try and find good multipurpose quotes so you don't have to remember as many!

Best of luck for your exams!!

Thanks so much!! And good luck with your A-levels!

Quick Reply

Latest