Caitgreenwood
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi. I'm starting A-Level AQA Spanish next year at college and I want to get prepared, so I'm ahead of the game in September! I've purchased the textbook that I'll need, a grammar & translation workbook and the 'Palabra por palabra' vocabulary book. However I'm unsure where / how to start as I want to learn the content and also grammar etc. Any help and also recommendations for resources/websites would be brilliant. Thank you very much!
bl0bf1sh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hello, I don't know for Spanish specifically, but for languages in general maybe just do some things to keep it ticking over, for example:

see if you can find any Spanish films/documentaries/TV programmes, watch them with English subtitles, and if you feel confident later you could try Spanish subtitles
look over some of the grammar you have already learnt so that you can do verbs and tenses etc. easily
maybe read something in Spanish every (or nearly every) day, like news (I think you can get news apps that are geared towards language learners) or borrow a book in Spanish from the library
you could have a look at some of the vocal from the early chapters in your books, although I'd say that it is probably easier to learn it when you are also being taught the topic

a lot of the content for A-level languages is based around the culture of countries that speak that language, and I think that getting a general sense of and confidence with various bits and pieces (like the ones mentioned) would give you a good head start, they might not all seem relevant but they will all expand your knowledge and skills

and then once you start studying A-level in September, when a new grammar point comes up in class, look over it more thoroughly at home so you understand it. For French for example we did not need to know all of the tenses, so it would have been pointless to spend lots of time learning the obscure ones
DeliaMoreno
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Caitgreenwood)
Hi. I'm starting A-Level AQA Spanish next year at college and I want to get prepared, so I'm ahead of the game in September! I've purchased the textbook that I'll need, a grammar & translation workbook and the 'Palabra por palabra' vocabulary book. However I'm unsure where / how to start as I want to learn the content and also grammar etc. Any help and also recommendations for resources/websites would be brilliant. Thank you very much!
Hola, what film or book will you be studying? You could buy the Hodder's guide on that film and book. They are really good. Also, read the novel or play, make annotations, do mind maps about characters, symbols, themes,... It'll really help, as the year flies and the book needs more reflection time. Buena suerte. Mi nombre es Delia, de Spanish no panic. Plenty of ideas in my IG account and video summaries on my youtube channel: Spanish no panic.
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Caitgreenwood)
I did A level French so hopefully I can help you a little bit! You're in a good place already having the vocab and grammar and translation books. I'd also concur with the above advice on getting the Hodder guide on your book and film.

In the first term of Year 12 I would really recommend focusing on grammar, get that nailed first.
Lolimscrewedddd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
focus on grammar and conjugation trust me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (7)
4.96%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
17.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.02%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (20)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
29.08%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (25)
17.73%

Watched Threads