The Student Room Group

work experience question ideas

Hi,
I am going to be completed some work experience for a 3 days this week at a primary school (where my Mum works). I already have a few questions in mind but I don't want to miss this opportunity and not ask something I may later want to know.
Does anybody have any good question ideas that I could ask?

Thank you
Original post by is.jenk
Hi,
I am going to be completed some work experience for a 3 days this week at a primary school (where my Mum works). I already have a few questions in mind but I don't want to miss this opportunity and not ask something I may later want to know.

Thank you

Honestly you are better off just asking questions as they come up. If there's a particular job you'd be interested in, do ask people how they got to where they are today. However, do be sensitive that it is a busy time of year and a lot of staff are pretty knackered. Try to ask questions at sensible times, and be conscious of e.g. monopolising people's lunch breaks etc.
Original post by is.jenk
Hi,

Thank you

Hello @is.jenk

I'm so pleased you have managed to get this experience! Good for you. Over the period, I would recommend you keep a reflections diary and consider the following -

How does the teacher welcome the pupils into the classroom? - What traits do you notice? A smile from the teacher? Does the teacher know individual pupils well? Does the lesson begin well? - Why?

How are the pupils seated? - In rows? In groups? In pairs?

How are resources handed out? - Exercise books, activities, materials

What type of activities does the teacher give to the pupils at the very start of the lesson? - How are pupils engaged in their learning quickly?

How does the teacher manage the learning environment? - What directions are given? Are pupils organised and able to take personal responsibility for their learning? What do you see the teacher doing to show that they are in charge of the learning?

What kinds of questions (assessment) are asked of the pupils? - Open ended or closed?

What kind of questioning occurs between pupils? - In groups? In pairs?

What have pupils learnt? How do you know? - Think about the activities and questioning within the lesson. Did this include all pupils across all abilities?

Have a great time!

Jane

Quick Reply