Summerlovin21
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello! I finished my A-level assessments nearly two months ago and I’ve been moping around the house, facing many, many job rejections, ever since. So, before the boredom consumes me, I thought: “Why not learn a new language?”.

Well, maybe not ‘new’...I did French at GCSE and achieved an 8, but it’s been two years since I’ve encountered the language, so I’m worried about remembering NOTHING if I revisit it!

After conducting SOME research, I understand Spanish to be easier in terms of memorisation and prononciation - is this true?

Essentially, I know a little bit of French and absolutely no Spanish - in your experience, which would you recommend regarding difficulty level, speed, memory techniques, etc? And do you know any websites for learning either please!

Thanks everyone!!
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Summerlovin21)
Hello! I finished my A-level assessments nearly two months ago and I’ve been moping around the house, facing many, many job rejections, ever since. So, before the boredom consumes me, I thought: “Why not learn a new language?”.

Well, maybe not ‘new’...I did French at GCSE and achieved an 8, but it’s been two years since I’ve encountered the language, so I’m worried about remembering NOTHING if I revisit it!

After conducting SOME research, I understand Spanish to be easier in terms of memorisation and prononciation - is this true?

Essentially, I know a little bit of French and absolutely no Spanish - in your experience, which would you recommend regarding difficulty level, speed, memory techniques, etc? And do you know any websites for learning either please!

Thanks everyone!!
Both Spanish and French have easy and hard concepts. I don't think one is easier than the other. It really depends on what you are most interested in learning.
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 2 months ago
Summerlovin21
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Both Spanish and French have easy and hard concepts. I don't think one is easier than the other. It really depends on what you are most interested in learning.
Thanks. At Uni, instead of doing a History group project in the first year, there’s a Languages for All scheme, whereby I can begin learning Spanish from scratch or join the GCSE/A-level French group. The latter scares me slightly because surely A-level students will be a lot more advanced than those at my rank? Regardless, Spanish excites me more I think!
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks. At Uni, instead of doing a History group project in the first year, there’s a Languages for All scheme, whereby I can begin learning Spanish from scratch or join the GCSE/A-level French group. The latter scares me slightly because surely A-level students will be a lot more advanced than those at my rank? Regardless, Spanish excites me more I think!
That's quite interesting! Why don't you watch some Spanish/French movies and look at YouTube videos and see which one you seem more interested in?
pinkcottoncandy1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Thanks everyone!!
As a speaker of both languages and having done A levels in both, I would definitely say Spanish is easier. This might just be me, but I think the grammar is simpler to learn and understand, and there are more similarities to English. However, from learning both I did see a lot of similarities between them. Other people may feel differently.

I would recommend Quizlet for learning vocabulary and Duolingo for learning the basic skills. For learning the language in general, consume as much media as you can. For example, watching films/Netflix shows in Spanish or reading Spanish books. For reference, I am predicted A* in both languages at A level.
Summerlovin21
Rep:
?
(Original post by pinkcottoncandy1)
As a speaker of both languages and having done A levels in both, I would definitely say Spanish is easier. This might just be me, but I think the grammar is simpler to learn and understand, and there are more similarities to English. However, from learning both I did see a lot of similarities between them. Other people may feel differently.

I would recommend Quizlet for learning vocabulary and Duolingo for learning the basic skills. For learning the language in general, consume as much media as you can. For example, watching films/Netflix shows in Spanish or reading Spanish books. For reference, I am predicted A* in both languages at A level.
Well done on your grade predictions, they’re incredible! Thank you so much for your detailed response - from friends and other forums, there appears to be a consensus that Spanish is easier grammatically, so I’ll definitely take that on board! Haha I’ll take any excuse to watch some films and hopefully I’ll be able to read books down the line. I’ve been learning the basics of Dutch with Duolingo, which is great, and I’ll give Quizlet a try too! Thanks again and good luck with your results .
pinkcottoncandy1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Well done on your grade predictions, they’re incredible! Thank you so much for your detailed response - from friends and other forums, there appears to be a consensus that Spanish is easier grammatically, so I’ll definitely take that on board! Haha I’ll take any excuse to watch some films and hopefully I’ll be able to read books down the line. I’ve been learning the basics of Dutch with Duolingo, which is great, and I’ll give Quizlet a try too! Thanks again and good luck with your results .
Thank you! Good luck with your language learning
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Thanks everyone!!
I'm biased because I am french, but I would say french is useful. A bunch of words in English that you don't know, you'll be able to guess by doing french. Spanish and french are close enough that after you learn one, the other is easier imho
SuttonOG
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Spanish all the way. More people speak Spanish, french people are rude and obnoxious, plenty more beautiful Latin countries that it would benefit you knowing the language. Also don’t you just think speaking Spanish sounds cool?
Old Skool Freak
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by pinkcottoncandy1)

pinkcottoncandy1 I'm learning French on Duolingo (currently up to Level 7), but I want to also start learning Spanish (also via Duolingo).

I was going to wait until I had completed Level 9 in French before starting Spanish, but would you recommend? Starting now, or waiting till I've completed all levels?

P.S. Sorry about hijacking your thread Summerlovin21
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SuttonOG)
Spanish all the way. More people speak Spanish, french people are rude and obnoxious, plenty more beautiful Latin countries that it would benefit you knowing the language. Also don’t you just think speaking Spanish sounds cool?
ouch. What did we ever do to you? I do agree however that Latin countries are gorgeous!
SuttonOG
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
ouch. What did we ever do to you? I do agree however that Latin countries are gorgeous!
Haha nothing actually. I have a friend who is half french speaks it fluently and goes there to see her family and even she says french people are really rude and not very friendly. I also really prefer spanish culture to french, they seem a lot more friendly and a more let-loose than french who seem more uptight and boring. I’ve been to spain 20 times and the people are always enjoying themselves. Also the countries, I’d love to retire on a beach in like Columbia or something lol
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SuttonOG)
Haha nothing actually. I have a friend who is half french speaks it fluently and goes there to see her family and even she says french people are really rude and not very friendly. I also really prefer spanish culture to french, they seem a lot more friendly and a more let-loose than french who seem more uptight and boring. I’ve been to spain 20 times and the people are always enjoying themselves. Also the countries, I’d love to retire on a beach in like Columbia or something lol
Paris is really the only rude place, the south of France is lovely. Nice is the nicest place in the universe.
Old Skool Freak
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
Paris is really the only rude place, the south of France is lovely. Nice is the nicest place in the universe.
Nice is nice

Les gens du sud de la France est tres gentils
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I was bored last year and decided to go for french while my brother went for spanish.

I'd suggest french but then I picked it.
burberry_butter
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think Spanish is deffo easier as pronunciation is largely how it is written, unlike french where there are a lot of silent letters etc. However, you did well in french so you may want to start with that and see how you get on.

Also, Spanish is a lot more spoken and in my opinion a lot more hip with its use in popular music.

All the best
Last edited by burberry_butter; 2 months ago
aistudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Thanks everyone!!
Which country do you prefer - France or Spain/ which one are you most likely to visit
pinkcottoncandy1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Old Skool Freak)
pinkcottoncandy1 I'm learning French on Duolingo (currently up to Level 7), but I want to also start learning Spanish (also via Duolingo).

I was going to wait until I had completed Level 9 in French before starting Spanish, but would you recommend? Starting now, or waiting till I've completed all levels?

P.S. Sorry about hijacking your thread Summerlovin21
I find the languages to be very separate so it would make no difference if you started one now or later, it’s up to you. I rarely find myself confused between them so it’s just a case fo whether you’d like to commit to more learning!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
15.04%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.02%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.26%
I need help with my personal statement (50)
37.59%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
26.32%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.26%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed