Emma____w
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi I want to do geography at university but I’m not sure what unis I should be looking at I’m thinking about Birmingham, york, Leeds, Lancaster etc. They aren’t the highest ranking uni but do league ranking actually matter that much?
abirbella
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hi i’m in year 12 also wanting to do geography at uni and my teachers told me that obviously rankings are important to look at but the most important things is what modules there each uni’s are providing because if you choose a high ranking uni but there modules aren’t enjoyable you won’t do well. hope this helps
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No, league table rankings don't matter that much. Anyway, they might be shifting up and down ten places or more every year.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
:ditto:

also i moved your thread to the relevant forum
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi Emma!
In short: no, league rankings don't matter. They shouldn't sway your opinion when deciding where to go - rankings change each year anyway, and courses tend to be clustered together so it's difficult to tell how a specific course ranks. Every university has their strengths and weaknesses - Oxbridge for example definitely have their flaws despite their high rankings, and it's not suited for everyone. That being said the universities you have named (Birmingham, York, etc.) are what I would regard as high ranking unis, and are part of the Russell Group. I would try and take a step back from the league tables and make a list of the things you want out of your degree and then look through a bunch of different unis to see where fits your wants. Book onto some open days and explore the campuses, make sure you feel at home. Try using league tables as a guide more than anything else - uni's rank highly because of their strengths, but that doesn't mean their strengths match your interests/desired uni experience (if that makes sense!). Rankings can seem important right now, but it's better to pick somewhere you know you'll love that has a slightly lower ranking than to try and fit yourself into a uni just because of a higher ranking. And if you're looking for another course to explore, I would highly recommend the University of Southampton, which has great geography courses, a friendly department and real-world research taking place. Hope this helps Emma and best of luck with your applications, if you have any more questions don't hesitate to reach out!
Amy (4th year student ambassador)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (9)
6.16%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (25)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.38%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
28.08%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (26)
17.81%

Watched Threads