The Student Room Group

Dream Career

Here’s my problem!

Ever since I was a little girl I’ve wanted to be an actress and sing. I’m now 16 and still want to do that. However I’m constantly subtly being persuaded not to by my mum and family. She will say things like “why don’t you become a vet or police officer or doctor” etc.. and when I show her auditions I want to enter she says “are you sure you want to do that, we could look at police training” etc.

I have considered deeply about joining the fire and rescue service as that would be an amazing job as well as please my mum, but deep down, in the back of my mind I know it’s not my big dream! I know acting and singing is unrealistic but it’s what I want to do and it’s what I’ve always wanted to do?!

Has anyone got any advice? Should I talk to someone? I’ve already tried telling my mum that it’s my choice but I get no support when it comes to acting and as soon as I mention firefighting or police services she is straight onto it!

Many thanks if you read this,
Grace :smile: x
I'd recommend going for a career that guarantees job stability and singing/acting part time on the side. Succeeding in that industry is very difficult and highly unlikely to put it bluntly. But if you do it part-time whilst providing yourself with money with a job you'll be able to pursue that passion on the side and try to make it work. If it doesn't it doesn't and you've risked nothing but if it does then you can pursue your dreams without sacrificing or risking anything.

Just what I think and good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you for the reply!! I’m just concerned that any job too big (like firefighting) will limit my time singing and acting on the side? Would you recommend therefore going for a smaller job maybe part-time that provides me with a stable amount of money? X
Original post by Grace.16
Thank you for the reply!! I’m just concerned that any job too big (like firefighting) will limit my time singing and acting on the side? Would you recommend therefore going for a smaller job maybe part-time that provides me with a stable amount of money? X

To be honest, I know very little about firefighting so I can't comment on that D: I'd imagine your working schedule and hours could be quite unpredictable but I'm sure you'd still have free time to do singing and acting on the side. I'm sure that firefighters, as with any job, do have free time! But you'd be best looking into this yourself because I unfortunately can't give much advice that I'd know to be true on this sorry :frown:
Reply 4
Thank you :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending