The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Mature Student Advice Needed

I am starting Portsmouth University this October as a 43 year old mature student, living in my own studio flat in halls. Any advice on being a mature student would be much appreciated please
Hey good luck with it! I’d probably join a few societies but I’d also look into local things in Portsmouth to make friends too as more likely to be people your own age.
Be prepared for lots of other students to assume you know stuff and contact you to ask about all random sorts (which I generally did for stuff like course admin /term dates /exam arrangements)
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Original post by Catherine1973
Hey good luck with it! I’d probably join a few societies but I’d also look into local things in Portsmouth to make friends too as more likely to be people your own age.
Be prepared for lots of other students to assume you know stuff and contact you to ask about all random sorts (which I generally did for stuff like course admin /term dates /exam arrangements)

Hiya,

Thank you so much for the advice, I have a feeling I'll be the one asking the other students for those kind of things lol
Original post by Eclectic Tree
I am starting Portsmouth University this October as a 43 year old mature student, living in my own studio flat in halls. Any advice on being a mature student would be much appreciated please

Hi! @Eclectic Tree

I'm not a mature student myself but the ones I knew made a group of their own with other mature students at the university and on the course they were on. They went to workshops designed for mature students getting settled into university. It would be worth contacting our student union and asking there for some advice from current mature students, as I know some of the Sabbatical Officers are mature students themselves.

I hope this helps and best of luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 4
I start in October this year and I will be nearly 28 and I am anxious about it! Feels weird going back to learning in a n educational environment after all these years!
Reply 5
Hi team,

Am also a mature student and am happy I will not be the only one :smile:. Turning 40 and my son is turning 10 later this year, I would like to show my son that when the opportunity window opened, we wasted no time but grabbed the bull by the horns. This golden opportunity came slightly later in life but is welcomed nevertheless. I will surely be joining workshops and groups. See you soon!
Original post by jpoole16
I start in October this year and I will be nearly 28 and I am anxious about it! Feels weird going back to learning in a n educational environment after all these years!

Hi! @jpoole16 and @markeast

I wouldn't worry, on my course and many others there was lots of support for getting back to academic learning. There will be plenty of support from your tutors, who will offer one-to-one advice for you. They're really helpful and you can go to them about any issue you may have with work.
Your course will also offer workshops. This is where they will hold specific classes to help you learn the skills you need to complete assessments and coursework.
There is also the ASDAC centre. They provide more academic supports and teach you academic skills in addition to your course. As well as finding the best ways for you to learn, take notes and revise. They are really useful and offer support and workshops throughout the year. https://www.port.ac.uk/student-life/guidance-and-support/learning-and-academic-support
On my course, many of the mature students had their own chat to help each other out, as they had more in common and understanding.

Also, don't think that freshers are just for younger students. There will be plenty of stalls there to help mature students. From academic support and joining pages for your course and career advice.

I hope this helps ease any worry.
Best wishes!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending