The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Accommodation

I received my accommodation offer today and to say I'm unhappy is an understatement; I opened the offer and have been crying for about an hour.
It's nowhere near any of the 9 halls nor preferences I listed on my form and I am genuinely reconsidering going this year because of it.
I know there's no way for them to reallocate me a new hall at this point; would it be worth going and hoping a space opens up in the first few weeks, just sticking with it or what?
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

hey, the same thing happened to me! got an accommodation that i didn't apply for and im quite disappointed :/ where did you get? (if you don't mind me asking!)

you could email or call the accommodation office? it doesn't hurt to ask about relocating and what your options are.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
hey, the same thing happened to me! got an accommodation that i didn't apply for and im quite disappointed :/ where did you get? (if you don't mind me asking!)

you could email or call the accommodation office? it doesn't hurt to ask about relocating and what your options are.

I got Culver house.:frown:
My dad and I both rung, but got nowhere! They simply told us they were sorry but that they couldn't relocate me.
What about you?
I got Culver house.:frown:
My dad and I both rung, but got nowhere! They simply told us they were sorry but that they couldn't relocate me.
What about you?

oh no, that's annoying!! what were your choices??

i'm in the hawthorns - i'm yet to hear something good about it :')
Reply 4

Aw, I'm sorry too! I know nothing about the Hawthorns I'm afraid:,)
My choices were Goldney, University Hall, Hiatt Baker, Durdham, Manor Hall etc. etc.
Wondering whether to just stick it out or what, I'm confused as to the options I have at this point!
My choices were Goldney, University Hall, Hiatt Baker, Durdham, Manor Hall etc. etc.
Wondering whether to just stick it out or what, I'm confused as to the options I have at this point!

Does sound like there a lot of very unhappy people at the moment, not a good start for what could be a difficult year for students anyway. Does anyone know if there is a group where some of these students can join together to try and find their own accommodation. Experiencing first hand the lack of support and help being given by the accommodation office it doesn't surprise me the Uni has such a bad reputation for student welfare. Also seems to be a lack of international students unhappy with their choices!
Reply 6
Original post by Urbanfoxy
Does sound like there a lot of very unhappy people at the moment, not a good start for what could be a difficult year for students anyway. Does anyone know if there is a group where some of these students can join together to try and find their own accommodation. Experiencing first hand the lack of support and help being given by the accommodation office it doesn't surprise me the Uni has such a bad reputation for student welfare. Also seems to be a lack of international students unhappy with their choices!

Totally agree! I am so unhappy with mine and frankly the bad service of Bristol that I am inclined to find a clearing place at a uni above or around the same level as Bristol now. The system is ridiculous - demanding 9 accommodation preferences off each student and then letting an algorithm place them in a random halls which wasn't on the list, let alone amongst their top preferences! (my situation) Furthermore, they allow no swaps, no waiting list and essentially no leeway for these random allocations to be amended. Very upset with Bristol to be honest, especially after I deferred and have waited a year just to be let down by some administrative mishap.
Reply 7

I got hawthorns too!

It wasn't any of my nine and I also am trying to find anything good apart from the location

I looked at a few reviews about it and they all say that it's not proper flats, dirty, bad wifi and bad social life :frown:

I don't know what to do- we have to accept by tomorrow but it looks horrible

I don't even know what my en-suite room looks like because they didn't put any pictures
Totally agree! I am so unhappy with mine and frankly the bad service of Bristol that I am inclined to find a clearing place at a uni above or around the same level as Bristol now. The system is ridiculous - demanding 9 accommodation preferences off each student and then letting an algorithm place them in a random halls which wasn't on the list, let alone amongst their top preferences! (my situation) Furthermore, they allow no swaps, no waiting list and essentially no leeway for these random allocations to be amended. Very upset with Bristol to be honest, especially after I deferred and have waited a year just to be let down by some administrative mishap.

i agree - 9 accommodation preferences is a lot and then not to allocate one of the 9 ... i don't get it :')
i have read somewhere that people have changed accommodations before the start of the academic year, after students who have gone through clearing have got theirs, but that seems a little risky to me as surely then most of the rooms have been allocated?
have you decided on declining bristol?

Original post by rovpov
I got hawthorns too!

It wasn't any of my nine and I also am trying to find anything good apart from the location

I looked at a few reviews about it and they all say that it's not proper flats, dirty, bad wifi and bad social life :frown:

I don't know what to do- we have to accept by tomorrow but it looks horrible

I don't even know what my en-suite room looks like because they didn't put any pictures

I'm glad im not the only one :') i'll pm you!
i agree though - the location is the only positive imo... when applying for accommodation i was told by a couple of friends to avoid the hawthorns, but here we are.
the reviews are so off-putting i can't bring myself to accept it haha
Reply 9
Hi! I’m so unhappy with my offer too. I have a room in Waverley and I’m looking for a place in the north village. Ideally hiatt Baker self catered or even catered. Please let me know if anyone would like to swap im desperate !!😕
Original post by cstb02
Hi! I’m so unhappy with my offer too. I have a room in Waverley and I’m looking for a place in the north village. Ideally hiatt Baker self catered or even catered. Please let me know if anyone would like to swap im desperate !!😕

Hi. Bristol have a few terms on swaps at the moment I'm afraid!

"We know that when the accommodation offers are made there can be a lot of chat on social channels about swapping your accommodation offer with another student, but it's important to know that we cannot facilitate these swaps.

We understand that this can be frustrating as swapping offer may seem like a simple request - however at the time of making the offers, we are in the process of housing over 8500 students for the start of term. This is a huge task that involves a small team working long hours over several weeks, and we do not have the resource available to administer requests to swap offers."

Source: http://www.bris.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/offers/

did you apply for ensuites or not? Im kind of worried now
did you apply for ensuites or not? Im kind of worried now

Hi. Yes, I applied for 8 out of the 9 choices WITH ensuite, and the last choice was Manor Hall; that was the only choice (and it was my last) that I put without ensuite. You had 1 job Bristol!:frown:
I know it's stressful waiting, but you may just strike lucky. I was a deferred year student, and when I applied to Bristol the first year round I received my top choice, Hiatt Baker self-catered with an ensuite. I just wasn't so lucky this year, hence my Culver House disaster.
It's really a game of luck, and I really hope you do get a house you're happy with; I'd consider it a win if you get any of your 9 choices:smile:
Hi. Yes, I applied for 8 out of the 9 choices WITH ensuite, and the last choice was Manor Hall; that was the only choice (and it was my last) that I put without ensuite. You had 1 job Bristol!:frown:
I know it's stressful waiting, but you may just strike lucky. I was a deferred year student, and when I applied to Bristol the first year round I received my top choice, Hiatt Baker self-catered with an ensuite. I just wasn't so lucky this year, hence my Culver House disaster.
It's really a game of luck, and I really hope you do get a house you're happy with; I'd consider it a win if you get any of your 9 choices:smile:

Ensuite are mainly for students with health issues. You'd be lucky to receive an ensuite.
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
Ensuite are mainly for students with health issues. You'd be lucky to receive an ensuite.

I got one last year - Hiatt Baker self-catered w/ ensuite.
I am now enrolled at a different university w/ ensuite and it was a hell of a lot easier; 90% of the accom there was ensuite. I guess Bristol may just offer accom more for people looking for shared, but that isn't me, and I appreciate I just struck lucky last year!

Also, I think for any prospective students panicking about ensuites - Goldney and perhaps others (?) seems to be the only one favouring those with medical need as is specifically stated in the advert. I hope anyone who requested one gets it :smile:
I got one last year - Hiatt Baker self-catered w/ ensuite.
I am now enrolled at a different university w/ ensuite and it was a hell of a lot easier; 90% of the accom there was ensuite. I guess Bristol may just offer accom more for people looking for shared, but that isn't me, and I appreciate I just struck lucky last year!

Oh that's fair. I did also get one last year too at Goldney Hall but deferred my place to this year
Also, I think for any prospective students panicking about ensuites - Goldney and perhaps others (?) seems to be the only one favouring those with medical need as is specifically stated in the advert. I hope anyone who requested one gets it :smile:

That makes sense. I did end up getting Goldney Hall ensuite last year but never accepted the offer as I'm starting this year
i agree - 9 accommodation preferences is a lot and then not to allocate one of the 9 ... i don't get it :')
i have read somewhere that people have changed accommodations before the start of the academic year, after students who have gone through clearing have got theirs, but that seems a little risky to me as surely then most of the rooms have been allocated?
have you decided on declining bristol?

I'm glad im not the only one :') i'll pm you!
i agree though - the location is the only positive imo... when applying for accommodation i was told by a couple of friends to avoid the hawthorns, but here we are.
the reviews are so off-putting i can't bring myself to accept it haha

Hawthorns is right on campus though… that’s kinda convenient. Most of the halls are miles away in Stoke Bishop where I live.

I got my first choice print hall en-suite and I didn’t put any health conditions it’s really just luck of draw :/ I feel so bad for people who didn’t even get there preferences !

Quick Reply

Latest