Too many rejections and losing motivation to apply

Watch
k20_hamza
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Ok guys I'm really struggling to find a job and I think it is because of my age and lack of experience. I'm 29 and I graduated 5 years ago with a IT degree. I have only worked in a retail store on checkouts for 2 years from 24-26 and I don't think it's enough to impress an employer.

I have applied for so many IT jobs such as admin, helpdesk support etc even junior positions but they all seem to demand too much as I don't have all the skills they require. The retail jobs, I get instantly rejected lol, I applied for tesco the other day sales advisor and 10 minutes later I got reply rejected.

What the hell am I supposed to do? I quit my previous job at 26 which was 3 years ago and in these 3 years ago I've still not landed a job fml

I have even paid a professional £80 to write a cv which lists my personal summary, education and qualification, work experience which is only 1 job and then my IT skills and I feel I wasted £80.
JGLM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’ll throw this idea in. Paying someone to write a CV might make it difficult for employers to gain insight on you as a person. The way someone writes can show a lot about them
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by k20_hamza)
Ok guys I'm really struggling to find a job and I think it is because of my age and lack of experience. I'm 29 and I graduated 5 years ago with a IT degree. I have only worked in a retail store on checkouts for 2 years from 24-26 and I don't think it's enough to impress an employer.

I have applied for so many IT jobs such as admin, helpdesk support etc even junior positions but they all seem to demand too much as I don't have all the skills they require. The retail jobs, I get instantly rejected lol, I applied for tesco the other day sales advisor and 10 minutes later I got reply rejected.

What the hell am I supposed to do? I quit my previous job at 26 which was 3 years ago and in these 3 years ago I've still not landed a job fml

I have even paid a professional £80 to write a cv which lists my personal summary, education and qualification, work experience which is only 1 job and then my IT skills and I feel I wasted £80.
Pop back into the CV Help thread and answer my last questions

Your CV isn't showing any IT skills, it's all about retail. You've got to show the employer you've got the skills to do the job they are offering, and that means giving details of your experience, even if it isn't from your paid employment.
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by k20_hamza)

Hi k20_hamza

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues. Regards the IT skills you need, have you thought about trying to get these in your free time? There are loads of websites out there which offer free courses in terms of web development such as CodeCademy and there's also loads of tutorials out there on things like YouTube and also useful forums like GitHub.

Look at the kind of jobs you're considering and make a note of the skills you're missing, and then try and make a plan to get these skills. Learning these skills in your own time will show that you're proactive, and will also show you still have a passion and drive to work in IT.

In addition, it may also be worth looking at IT apprenticeships. I know you have an IT degree, but as you've admitted, you've not really worked in IT so it seems like you could be missing the practical experience employers are looking for. An apprenticeship can give you that practical experience, and can also help to get your foot in the door with an employer.

The only other thing I'd add is to maybe try and really focus your efforts on applying for jobs you really want. If you apply for lots and lots, it means you're probably not putting that much time into each application, which may reflect on your application.

Thanks and good luck!

Amy
Yochahine
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I am so sorry to see that you are struggling but you need to have a very well and clear CV. Also it depends on the country that you are applying too. Each country has her own "style " of a CV. Pay attention to this point. Also you need to show the recruiter the skills that you have as an IT
Good luck with that.
LouiseRu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Look at opportunities in the Armed Forces.

Not all roles are pure soldier roles but support roles in administration,HR, IT etc.

They take you and train you up without necessarily expecting huge amounts of previous work experience.

Go to their career pages and you can also speak to one of their advisors as well.

This is one way out of your predicament.

You will have to get physically fit and agree to a fixed term of service.

At least look into it.

One of the hardest things to do on graduating is to get work experience to allow you to progress in a worthwhile career.

I know people who have done a period in the Armed Forces and progressed very well.

Good Luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
12.57%
I need help researching courses (12)
7.19%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
4.79%
I need help with my personal statement (71)
42.51%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (39)
23.35%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.8%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
7.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed