Is international relations a good degree specifically regarding job prospects ?

Watch this thread
Salamol
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Specifying** sorry there may be lots of grammar errors I’m in a bit of a frenzy currently
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Salamol)
Specifying** sorry there may be lots of grammar errors I’m in a bit of a frenzy currently
specifically was correct, specifying is not correct lol...you were right the first time

i'd say that it is middle of the road. successful IR grads tend to have good family connections for internships and the like. you really need to focus on good work experience
Last edited by A Rolling Stone; 11 months ago
Salamol
Rep:
Right sorry haha I was sent into a frenzy after seeing lots of posts on here saying it’s hard to get a good job with ir. what sort of places would you recommend would be a good stepping stone for work experience placements to ensure I can be more stable in my career path ?
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
International Relations is 'International Politics' - make sure this actually interests you as a subject rather than just the glamorous sounding title. Have a look at podcast lectures (a couple of examples https://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-a...ts/china-media and https://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-a...ure-of-britain), and some subject talks on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVCDnUZqLzU etc)

In terms of careers - a thousand different career paths - its a solid social science degree and could lead you into connected areas like journalism, government, human rights, international development etc, or into ares where just the degree skills are useful rather than the subject - banking, management, education, local government etc etc. Info here https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...onal-relations and video from Birmingham - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfVQA-g7WUU
Salamol
Rep:
Wow you have been absolutely fantastic thank you for taking out your time to help me !!
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Salamol)
Hi there,

I am a final year Sociology student from the University of Bath.

Here at Bath we offer a Politics and International relations course, which you can check out here. This particular course at Bath focuses on political theories and the study of global affairs. There are multiple compulsory units such as political theory and analysis, international organisation and research design and methods, but you also get to choose units which you are interested in. Optional units include researching social change, culture and national identity and critical issues in social development.

Also as part of the Politics and International relations course at Bath you can choose to opt into a year studying abroad or a work placement. I personally did a work placement, which is very popular at Bath and very valuable for gaining work experience. Students from the Politics and International relations course have had placements at places, such as the Confederation of British Industry, House of Commons/Lords, the World Food Programme, Deloitte, Google and Goldman Sachs.

Also when graduating from this course, graduates have been found in a wide range of public, private and voluntary sector jobs, with popular destinations including in the banking and finance industries, the media, public administration, and national, European and international political institutions and organisations or going onto further study. Recruiters have included Amazon, the American Chamber of Commerce to the EU, the Civil Service, KPMG and Virgin Media.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask

Isobel (A Final Year Sociology Student)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (37)
26.24%
As I expected (46)
32.62%
Harder (51)
36.17%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.96%

Watched Threads