Syed Siam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
If I do a foundation year let’s say at One university and after I’ve completed my foundation year would I be able to get accepted to study for first year at queen Mary?
TheCorpsCorporal
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Really dependent on university but I do have some experience in this.

I did my first year at DMU but wished to transfer to a university that had a more well-respected physics department. As such, I contacted a host of more well-renowned universities asking about transferring. ICL, Durham, Manchester and Edinburgh all said they'd accept a 1st for the year as equivalent to their entry requirements and if I achieved one, I could transfer and start from year one.

Leicester actually had the same requirement, but it would allow me to transfer directly into the second year.

Few people actually transfer, so it's not well known how the process works and each Uni has its own policies. My method and the one I'd advise you to follow is to send out emails to every single university you're looking at and ask their individual procedure.

This was for transferring to the same course mind you, no idea about transferring Uni and course.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Syed Siam)
If I do a foundation year let’s say at One university and after I’ve completed my foundation year would I be able to get accepted to study for first year at queen Mary?
Yes. I've done that. Just email admissions and ask them for the specific course and send them the years spec sheet.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not guaranteed, essentially. Other unis may consider a foundation year done at another uni, but they are under no obligation to do so. It really is entirely up to the uni you are applying to whether and to what extent they'll consider another unis foundation year acceptable, which makes it a bit of a gamble.

Generally for this reason (and also issues relating to student finance entitlement) it's only advisable to do a foundation year at a uni you intend to stay at. Otherwise you are better off taking a gap year(s) to take/retake A-levels etc to meet the entry criteria. That way you know in no uncertain terms that the qualification(s) you are doing are acceptable for the uni(s) you are applying to.
Syed Siam
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yes. I've done that. Just email admissions and ask them for the specific course and send them the years spec sheet.
Did you go queens Mary like that too or did you mean generally
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Syed Siam)
Did you go queens Mary like that too or did you mean generally
That's how I got into QMUL. I'm there now. I asked if they allowed it or not with the spec sheet attached. And they said that's fine and they will only consider the results from the foundation year as it is the most recent qualification and asked that I get 70% overall. As for SFE, I believe transferring like this uses up your "gift year" so in the case you fail and need to resit a whole year sfe won't fund it.
Syed Siam
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
That's how I got into QMUL. I'm there now. I asked if they allowed it or not with the spec sheet attached. And they said that's fine and they will only consider the results from the foundation year as it is the most recent qualification and asked that I get 70% overall. As for SFE, I believe transferring like this uses up your "gift year" so in the case you fail and need to resit a whole year sfe won't fund it.
Ah thanks so much man really appreciate it.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lots of good guidance on this topic in the University Transfer FAQ.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi ik this old, but did you meet the A-level requirements for the course at qmul? Or did they not consider it at all and only look at ur foundation yr grades?? Thanks
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi ik this old, but did you meet the A-level requirements for the course at qmul? Or did they not consider it at all and only look at ur foundation yr grades?? Thanks
Didn't meet the requirements. They just said they'll consider the most recent qualification which was the foundation year
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Didn't meet the requirements. They just said they'll consider the most recent qualification which was the foundation year
Oh that’s amazing well done!! Do you mind if i ask what course??
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh that’s amazing well done!! Do you mind if i ask what course??
Comp Sci + Maths
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Comp Sci + Maths
Did you go to a Russel group uni before transferring to qmul?
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
Did you go to a Russel group uni before transferring to qmul?
No
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.53%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (12)
14.12%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
18.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.59%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
18.82%

Watched Threads