The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Changing university

If I do a foundation year let’s say at One university and after I’ve completed my foundation year would I be able to get accepted to study for first year at queen Mary?

Scroll to see replies

Really dependent on university but I do have some experience in this.

I did my first year at DMU but wished to transfer to a university that had a more well-respected physics department. As such, I contacted a host of more well-renowned universities asking about transferring. ICL, Durham, Manchester and Edinburgh all said they'd accept a 1st for the year as equivalent to their entry requirements and if I achieved one, I could transfer and start from year one.

Leicester actually had the same requirement, but it would allow me to transfer directly into the second year.

Few people actually transfer, so it's not well known how the process works and each Uni has its own policies. My method and the one I'd advise you to follow is to send out emails to every single university you're looking at and ask their individual procedure.

This was for transferring to the same course mind you, no idea about transferring Uni and course.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Syed Siam
If I do a foundation year let’s say at One university and after I’ve completed my foundation year would I be able to get accepted to study for first year at queen Mary?

Yes. I've done that. Just email admissions and ask them for the specific course and send them the years spec sheet.
It's not guaranteed, essentially. Other unis may consider a foundation year done at another uni, but they are under no obligation to do so. It really is entirely up to the uni you are applying to whether and to what extent they'll consider another unis foundation year acceptable, which makes it a bit of a gamble.

Generally for this reason (and also issues relating to student finance entitlement) it's only advisable to do a foundation year at a uni you intend to stay at. Otherwise you are better off taking a gap year(s) to take/retake A-levels etc to meet the entry criteria. That way you know in no uncertain terms that the qualification(s) you are doing are acceptable for the uni(s) you are applying to.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Yes. I've done that. Just email admissions and ask them for the specific course and send them the years spec sheet.

Did you go queens Mary like that too or did you mean generally
Did you go queens Mary like that too or did you mean generally

That's how I got into QMUL. I'm there now. I asked if they allowed it or not with the spec sheet attached. And they said that's fine and they will only consider the results from the foundation year as it is the most recent qualification and asked that I get 70% overall. As for SFE, I believe transferring like this uses up your "gift year" so in the case you fail and need to resit a whole year sfe won't fund it.
Reply 6
That's how I got into QMUL. I'm there now. I asked if they allowed it or not with the spec sheet attached. And they said that's fine and they will only consider the results from the foundation year as it is the most recent qualification and asked that I get 70% overall. As for SFE, I believe transferring like this uses up your "gift year" so in the case you fail and need to resit a whole year sfe won't fund it.

Ah thanks so much man really appreciate it.
Lots of good guidance on this topic in the University Transfer FAQ.

Hi ik this old, but did you meet the A-level requirements for the course at qmul? Or did they not consider it at all and only look at ur foundation yr grades?? Thanks
Hi ik this old, but did you meet the A-level requirements for the course at qmul? Or did they not consider it at all and only look at ur foundation yr grades?? Thanks

Didn't meet the requirements. They just said they'll consider the most recent qualification which was the foundation year :smile:
Didn't meet the requirements. They just said they'll consider the most recent qualification which was the foundation year :smile:

Oh that’s amazing well done!! Do you mind if i ask what course??
Oh that’s amazing well done!! Do you mind if i ask what course??

Comp Sci + Maths
Comp Sci + Maths

Did you go to a Russel group uni before transferring to qmul?
Did you go to a Russel group uni before transferring to qmul?

No
No

Hey I’m kind of in the same process you were in. I’m going to be doing a foundation year in city but i want to transfer to either royal Holloway or queens Mary after I finish that foundation year.. and I tried looking around a lot to see if these universities would accept transfer after competing a foundation year and just wanted to ask what the process was like. Especially for queens Mary. I’m also doing a computer science foundation year as well this year. What is the requirements to be accepted for transfer, how did you tell them about your situation and how/why were they so lenient about your alevel grades ??

Don’t go to QMUL, it’s such a toxic uni. The staff are miserable and the area is very dangerous. The three months I was there I know of at least two people robbed at knifepoint outside the uni as the campus security at the gates are useless. Also if you like constant ambulances on campus and staff that shout at the entire cohort for no reason then go to QMUL.
Don’t go to QMUL, it’s such a toxic uni. The staff are miserable and the area is very dangerous. The three months I was there I know of at least two people robbed at knifepoint outside the uni as the campus security at the gates are useless. Also if you like constant ambulances on campus and staff that shout at the entire cohort for no reason then go to QMUL.

Lmao I guess the only reason I decided to put it as an option is because of it being a Russel and that kinda made me think that it would allow me to get better job opportunities as well. But I think I passed that phase. And I’m more towards probably studying as royal Holloway, but I’m still keeping my options up
Original post by Mcadzz00
Lmao I guess the only reason I decided to put it as an option is because of it being a Russel and that kinda made me think that it would allow me to get better job opportunities as well. But I think I passed that phase. And I’m more towards probably studying as royal Holloway, but I’m still keeping my options up

I applied to Royal Holloway. It was nice from the looks of it, it was my last choice so I didn’t do much research to be able to talk about. A lot of Russell group unis actually aren’t any better than other good unis in the country. QMUL is a recent addition who literally paid to join the RG to look good. I didn’t know that until after I joined but after going there I’m amazed even with paying they got in. RG has been very devalued overtime and it’s never been anything like the American Ivy League.
I applied to Royal Holloway. It was nice from the looks of it, it was my last choice so I didn’t do much research to be able to talk about. A lot of Russell group unis actually aren’t any better than other good unis in the country. QMUL is a recent addition who literally paid to join the RG to look good. I didn’t know that until after I joined but after going there I’m amazed even with paying they got in. RG has been very devalued overtime and it’s never been anything like the American Ivy League.

That’s cool, I might go to either royal Holloway, queens Mary or university of readings. What do you study in royal Holloway ?
Original post by Mcadzz00
That’s cool, I might go to either royal Holloway, queens Mary or university of readings. What do you study in royal Holloway ?

As I said they weren’t a high up choice for me so I didn’t go, but I would have studied genetics if I did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending