Contextual offers

Watch this thread
Restored
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
My neighbour and I attend the same 6th form college and we live on the same street . we applied to the same uni for the same course but they gave him a contextual offer whilst the uni gave me a normal conditional offer . Can I contact them to ask why and request that they please look again at my offer of course without naming my neighbour.

I am worried that I will be at a disadvantage if I don’t meet up to the grades on the offer on results day. Pls advice me
sarahjanesmith
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Restored)
My neighbour and I attend the same 6th form college and we live on the same street . we applied to the same uni for the same course but they gave him a contextual offer whilst the uni gave me a normal conditional offer . Can I contact them to ask why and request that they please look again at my offer of course without naming my neighbour.

I am worried that I will be at a disadvantage if I don’t meet up to the grades on the offer on results day. Pls advice me
contextual offers isn't just dependent on your postcode, there are other things too like if you come from a military family, your parent's annual income, if you receive school bursaries etc (depending on the uni and course)
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 10 months ago

Yes ask them about their process for conditional offers. They won’t be willing to comment on another applicant’s situation though.

Two addresses on the same street can have different postcodes.
Satori Tendō
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Did you go to the same secondary school?
Usually from what I seen Uni's want an individual to meet a minimum of 2 or sometimes more conditions to get a contextual offer, perhaps your friend had an additional disadvantage as well as being from a lower progression to higher education area.
Like the first reply said, sometimes it has to be more than just postcode and some Uni's are quite specific/strict about contextual offers
McGinger
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Its certainly worth asking - sometimes Unis do make mistakes - but as above there may be factors in the other applicant's background that you are not aware of.
Restored
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Thanks y”all for your responses. Yes we went to the same secondary school. Our situations are the same really so I was wondering why our offers differed. I guess I’ll just have to wait and hope that I get the required grades on results day. I just wasn’t sure if to raise it with the uni now as an enquiry (of course withholding my friend’sdetails) or just keep quiet and hope for the best.Thanks once again for responding.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Thanks y”all for your responses. Yes we went to the same secondary school. Our situations are the same really so I was wondering why our offers differed. I guess I’ll just have to wait and hope that I get the required grades on results day. I just wasn’t sure if to raise it with the uni now as an enquiry (of course withholding my friend’sdetails) or just keep quiet and hope for the best.Thanks once again for responding.
As above, there's no harm in asking them to double-check. The worst that they can say is to confirm you are not eligible.

They will typically use more than one marker to determine who is eligible. Have you looked at their criteria on their website?
McGinger
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
I just wasn’t sure if to raise it with the uni now as an enquiry
Raise it now. If they have got it wrong there is still time to fix it.
If you ask after Results Day it gets way more complicated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (131)
66.16%
No (45)
22.73%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.11%

Watched Threads