The Student Room Group

Violin worth

How much is a violin worth that was bought for £200 new ten years ago with case and one not very good bow? Thank you
Reply 1
Look on eBay for similar sold listings.
Original post by kayinda
How much is a violin worth that was bought for £200 new ten years ago with case and one not very good bow? Thank you

Unless it's a prestigious make, musical instruments tend to depreciate in value over time. Is it a well-known brand?
Reply 3
Original post by ThomH97
Look on eBay for similar sold listings.

thanks but they are listing it differently like between £50-120 for the same kind of thing.
Reply 4
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Unless it's a prestigious make, musical instruments tend to depreciate in value over time. Is it a well-known brand?

Well it was bought for £200 so it's not going to be prestigious really. The brand is Stentor. I changed the strings to better ones and have a better bow than it originally had
Reply 5
Original post by kayinda
Well it was bought for £200 so it's not going to be prestigious really. The brand is Stentor. I changed the strings to better ones and have a better bow than it originally had

Stentor are pretty popular but pretty mass produced, is it a Student II? They're the ones that usually sell for about £185 brand new. I imagine you'd be able to sell it easily enough since the brand has a good reputation for beginners, but likely closer to the £100 range. Are the different listings all for full size ones by the way? I've been violin shopping recently but most of the £50ish ones I've seen have been 1/2 size or damaged full size, so that might explain the range of eBay prices.
Reply 6
Original post by Interea
Stentor are pretty popular but pretty mass produced, is it a Student II? They're the ones that usually sell for about £185 brand new. I imagine you'd be able to sell it easily enough since the brand has a good reputation for beginners, but likely closer to the £100 range. Are the different listings all for full size ones by the way? I've been violin shopping recently but most of the £50ish ones I've seen have been 1/2 size or damaged full size, so that might explain the range of eBay prices.

Yes maybe that's why they are cheaper, mine is full size. How will I know if it's a Student II? Is it written somewhere?
Reply 7
Original post by kayinda
Yes maybe that's why they are cheaper, mine is full size. How will I know if it's a Student II? Is it written somewhere?

Not entirely sure, but you'll want to find out which Stentor it is because some sell for significantly less than others (the Student I can be about half the price of the Student II, for example, and then the Conservatoire ones are more expensive again). If you don't know then your best bet would be to go to a local music shop and see if they can help you identify it and also give a rough idea of sale price based on your one's condition and the new strings and bow. If you're near a Hobgoblin Music shop that might be a good call, they sell a lot of second-hand string instruments so are probably pretty knowledgable.
Reply 8
Original post by Interea
Not entirely sure, but you'll want to find out which Stentor it is because some sell for significantly less than others (the Student I can be about half the price of the Student II, for example, and then the Conservatoire ones are more expensive again). If you don't know then your best bet would be to go to a local music shop and see if they can help you identify it and also give a rough idea of sale price based on your one's condition and the new strings and bow. If you're near a Hobgoblin Music shop that might be a good call, they sell a lot of second-hand string instruments so are probably pretty knowledgable

Thanks for your help, I have found the make now and sorted out a sale.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by kayinda
Thanks for your help, I have found the make now and sorted out a sale.

Good news :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest