Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    They would probably crash a jet into a nuclear power station.

ReputationRep:
    Portsmouth could be a target. Big navy base & very dense population (and I mean that physically as well as metaphorically! ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davie_Moyes)
    Read in the paper they would try outside London because theres not as much security. Were they not going to bomb Old Trafford? I also remember reading the Glasgow and Newcastle underground/metro services were put foward.
    the glasgow underground doesn't consist of much. if they had any sense they wouldn't bother with that... I think oil rigs in the north sea perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shopalotgrrl)
    the glasgow underground doesn't consist of much. if they had any sense they wouldn't bother with that... I think oil rigs in the north sea perhaps?
    Wouldn't they be quite difficult to get to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Wouldn't they be quite difficult to get to?
    they could use a speedboat packed full of explosives, like with the USS Cole incident

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    they could use a speedboat packed full of explosives, like with the USS Cole incident
    Two arabs launcing an explosives-packed speedboat from John O'Groats harbour might look a bit suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    everything in John O'Groats is suspicious

ReputationRep:
    Big Ben would be a target, think of the repercussions if it were knowcked down!, it's the time device of Britain, everyone puts there watch to it. Also the Gasgows clockwork orange could be hit, there is absolutely no security there as far as I'm concerned. Any school in Britain is a target aswell, and churches at Easter otr Christmas,

ReputationRep:
    isn't it a bit dangerous to discuss this though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daibhidh)
    Big Ben would be a target, think of the repercussions if it were knowcked down!, it's the time device of Britain, everyone puts there watch to it. Also the Gasgows clockwork orange could be hit, there is absolutely no security there as far as I'm concerned. Any school in Britain is a target aswell, and churches at Easter otr Christmas,
    I think time would still run smoothly without Big Ben!

Isn't official UK time set by one of these big fancy clocks that never loses time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    London and the south east is not the only place in the UK that is likely to be a target, during the WII, Manchester, Liverpool. Newcastle, Bristol, Leeds etc all had their fair share of bombings, yet the media only talk about the London bombs as if London was the only place to suffer from the blitz. If that was the case why are there so many air raid shelters still left form WII near me?
    yes, but the objectives of the luftwaffe are quite different to those of al-qaeda. for instance, i somehow doubt the latter are that concerned with hampering ballbearing production ect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Portsmouth could be a target. Big navy base & very dense population (and I mean that physically as well as metaphorically! ).
    give it a few more years & we won't have enough navy to warrant a 'big base', problem solved..

ReputationRep:
    and the "proper" navy is based up in scotland (though i forget the port). pompey is really just there for tradition/impressing the tourists; it's probable of very little military value in real terms. it's been several years since the grand fleet was based there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by granddad_bob)
    pompey is really just there for tradition/impressing the tourists; it's probable of very little military value in real terms. it's been several years since the grand fleet was based there.
    you mean Victory & Mary Rose don't have a key role to play in our new streamlined, effective, round the world, task force..?! :captain:

ReputationRep:
    and the "proper" navy is based up in scotland (though i forget the port). pompey is really just there for tradition/impressing the tourists; it's probable of very little military value in real terms. it's been several years since the grand fleet was based there.
    CiC is here, though. So there :p:
    Plus the Navy's oldest commissioned ship I forget what it's called.

And I don't know if it really is of 'little' military value. Along with Plymouth it's one of the largest in England... plenty of special service training down here too.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully Coalville and surrounding area... its a right dump!

ReputationRep:
    Fastlane. You could bomb it easily from the other side of the water.

A big football game i.e. an International game at Hampden/Millenium Stadium/Old Trafford? or a Premiership/SPL game at Rangers/Celtic or Man U, Newcastle would be an easy target.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    They would probably crash a jet into a nuclear power station.
    That wouldn't work - in the 60's the US crashed aircraft (in tests) into reactor buildings at high speed - the aircraft just disintegrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davie_Moyes)
    Fastlane. You could bomb it easily from the other side of the water.

A big football game i.e. an International game at Hampden/Millenium Stadium/Old Trafford? or a Premiership/SPL game at Rangers/Celtic or Man U, Newcastle would be an easy target.
    Faslane, surely? It's where the submarine services are based, IIRC, and that's the real strength of the Navy - Faslane is where the nuclear-missile submarines are based. Also during the cold war, it was where the attack submarines that would follow the Soviet missile submarines around the Atlantic were based - it had to have top security, it probably still does...

ReputationRep:
    AWE- an atomic weapons plant in aldershot would be an obvious target. At least i think it is in Aldershot...... i know AWE is one of UK's largest weapons base so unfortunately that would seem a target, as do the large cities of Britain.

Lou
    xxx

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2005
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.