The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Applying to LSE Economics- Don't have standout PS

I am currently studying Maths, Further Maths Economics and History with predicted grades of A*A*A*A (should get A,A,A,A at AS level in August). However I'm beginning to write my PS and have realised that although I have done lots of super curricular stuff like essay competitions or other competitions like BASE, I havent won any of them or been shortlisted. Will this be a problem for my PS and should I still write about these activities and what I learnt through them?
Reply 1
you have strong grades and have done good super curricular activities - you don't have to win them

you just have to show how you're interested in your degree subject and essay competitions and the BASE competition are great ways to show that so definitely write about what you gained from them.

good luck!!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently studying Maths, Further Maths Economics and History with predicted grades of A*A*A*A (should get A,A,A,A at AS level in August). However I'm beginning to write my PS and have realised that although I have done lots of super curricular stuff like essay competitions or other competitions like BASE, I havent won any of them or been shortlisted. Will this be a problem for my PS and should I still write about these activities and what I learnt through them?

Hello, our interest is primarily in your academic engagement with the subject, and your own thoughts or ideas on the topics that you find interesting. The activities that you reference themselves are not especially important - whether you've become aware of a discussion or theory via essay competitions, a club/society or independent study - it's your engagement with and understanding of the subject matter itself that we're keen to see. A candidate is not necessarily going to be any more competitive simply by telling us that they'd entered or won a competition - the key is being able to explain why this particular activity is relevant to their chosen programme, and how their involvement has been beneficial.

I'd recommend referring to our Personal Statement resources to find out more about what we're looking for in a competitive application.
Reply 3
Thanks, it’s put my mind to rest as I need to show my ability to engage with the subject, which I can do in one way by talking about what I’ve learnt in my super curricular activities and other reading.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending