The Student Room Group

good a level combo for psychology?

i’m starting a levels in september and taking psychology, business and french.

i was wondering if this is an appropriate combination of subjects to study if i want to do psychology at uni. i know that many universities want you to take science a level to do psychology but i really don’t want to tbh.

would this put me at a disadvantage especially with russell group unis?

thanks 🙂
Original post by anonymoussss77

i was wondering if this is an appropriate combination of subjects to study if i want to do psychology at uni. i know that many universities want you to take science a level to do psychology but i really don’t want to tbh.

thanks 🙂

Hi!

Very cool subject choices! I studied French at A Level as well. The good news is, not all universities will expect sciences for psychology. I think your best bet would be to look at the the course listed on the website of the uni you're thinking of applying to. In many cases, when they list what you will study in each year, they may also indicate whether or not you will be expected to have taken on a science at A Level. If they don't say anything, the types of courses they mention may give you an indication.

Feel free to browse our Bsc Psychology page for an idea of what I'm talking about.

https://www.port.ac.uk/study/courses/bsc-hons-psychology?utm_campaign=ug2021_clearing_sah_psychology&utm_medium=search_google&utm_source=adwords&utm_term=university%20of%20portsmouth%20psychology

UoP has a gold standard of teaching, and 90% of students taking this course were very satisfied.

Hope this helps! Bonne chance!

Samantha, UoP Rep

thanks 🙂

@Anonymousss77
Hello! I am currently working on my MSc in Psychology. A lot of Universities won't insist on a science subject, what would help is a reasonable command of mathematics which is useful for the scientific side. This is useful for data analysis which you tend to do in the final year and in post graduate study. I got a grade C in maths at school for GCSE and that was good enough for me.

Make sure that your degree program is accredited with the BPS like Arden's program https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/undergraduate/psychology-degrees/bsc-hons-psychology-bps

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Most Universities regard Psychology as a science - and will want a science or science related subject at A level, this usually includes Psychology, but you will need to check entry requirements carefully. There is also often a requirement for a high GCSE Maths grade.

If you are interested in the less 'sciencey' aspects of Psychology then look at Counselling as an alternative degree, or subjects like Childhood Studies, Disability Studies, Special Education etc.
@Noodlzzz might be able to advise?

It might depend a bit on where you want to apply to, but as above many require a core science (i.e. maths/physics/chemistry/biology), and some might ask for two (which may include psychology as well). I gather that A-level Biology and A-level Maths may be useful for some parts of the course. Note that this requirement is usually used by unis with very scientific psychology degree courses; if you don't want to study sciences now you probably wouldn't like those specific psychology degrees. Be aware however due to BPS requirements all psychology degrees will include a reasonable amount of scientific and statistical content so if this is something you absolutely don't want to study psychology may not be the best degree choice for you.

thanks 🙂

Yes it will put you at a disadvantage. Many universities require a science in addition to Psychology and you would basically be ruling yourself out of those.

Some universities also have a specific Maths GCSE requirement which is non negotiable. If you dont have it you dont get in. Usually grade 6 but Bath ask for grade 7.

Check the entry requirements for the universities you are interested in and only apply to those you meet the entry criteria for and look at both A levels and GCSEs

Quick Reply

Latest