Atena_r
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Could you someone help me what is the difference between Access Course and Foundation Course? For Dental Hygiene which one is appropriate?
Thank you
Kay34645
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
An access course is when you go to 'college?' to do a course that helps prepare you and provides a gateway to the course so then you can apply to the university and then start the course that you want. It is aimed towards mature students and if you want to go into dental hygiene I believe that most have a minimum age of 19. Access courses can last between 1-3 years i believe and you would need to complete an access course to dentistry. However you should want to check the what your preferred Uni says about these courses as for example Kings College provide a link where you can see which ones they accept and some Uni's don't even accept access courses. Access courses can also be completed online ( distanced learning ).

A foundation year is part of the Uni course that you'll be completing so the students who is doing the course with the right entry requirements and grades will do the course only and you'll just do an extra year at the university before you start the course to help prepare you and teach you the basics. Foundation year is great as you will be in the university so you don't have to worry about having to apply the next year. For example a normal dentistry course is 5 years but with a foundation year at the beginning it is 6 years.

Most people who do an access course is because they don't have the right grades or qualifications however most foundation courses are either weren't the AAA or might go one grade lower. In your case as you want to do dental hygiene i would think that a foundation course would be better as you'll be able to easily move into your first year after completing year 0( the foundation year) and you'll be more sure than completing an access course and finding out that the Uni that you want to go to doesn't accept it and especially if you want to go straight to Uni to finish he course faster than doing a course and then applying top uni.

At the end of the day it is your choice which matters and you pick whatever you want to as long as you do your research your fine. Have you looked in any universities ? What year of entry are you going for as i am in year 12 and i am hopefully going to study dentistry so ill be year 2022!
Atena_r
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Thank for your kind answer. I applied for Dental hygiene but unfortunately my application was unsuccessful. I wanted to use my qualification from my home country as a entry requirement, which is equivalent to A Level. I decided to study one year Dental nursing training to improve my application for the next year. Do you have any suggestion?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads