All homework should be banned?

Watch
Lars360
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago

Post opinions below. Do not judge for any opinions just accept them and respond with a counter arguament
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It was originally a punishment, so yes.
Elize W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lars360)

Post opinions below. Do not judge for any opinions just accept them and respond with a counter arguament
Not all but there should be much much less homework in general. I think a good way would be to say what excercize students can do if they want to practice more when they have a problem or want a revision. Also group projects or giving a presentation by a particular student are things that require work at home but those do not happen very often. Maybe once or twice a year per subject unlike current homework which takes majority of time from students which they should spend on rest socializing and hobbys.
username5778314
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No.

It allows for the consolidation of information and allows kids to develop skills around working independently, research and time management.
Last edited by username5778314; 1 month ago
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If we could trust people to do outside work of their own accord, yes. But that's not really the case.
username3477548
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
that's the stupidest idea ever

All homework should be banned
Little pecker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, get rid of it.

If a kid wants to be proactive the materials (and answers) should be available to them but not mandatory.
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How could you decide if you agree with someone's point of without first making some kind of judgment about it?
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some homework is useful and some homework is an utter waste of time. Instead of a blanket ban, more consideration should be given with regards to what homework will actually enrich a student’s learning. For example, completing an unfinished English essay at home to be ready in time for marking or a practice maths paper are useful examples of homework. “Research” tasks using Wikipedia that are never marked and thus never contribute to further learning in a useful way - not so much.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
respond with a counter argument
A bit like homework then?
username5173262
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had to think a bit, since I wanted to shoot down the idea of banning it straight away, but actually I agree it should be.. not banned, but optional.

I say this purely because punishing children who do not do work outside of their legally required school hours (or taking their lunch break to get it done as substitute) is actually nuts. If a child wants to do work outside of school, let them - but jesus we actually punish kids with detentions and shouting at them because they want a good work-life balance... so yea OP, agree! Ban it being punishable.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by V℮rsions)
I had to think a bit, since I wanted to shoot down the idea of banning it straight away, but actually I agree it should be.. not banned, but optional.
I think that's a bad idea. A lot of people already have a problem with the disparities in education between rich and poorer people. Kids of rich parents will be encouraged to do their "optional" homework, poorer ones are more likely to not have parents as invested in education. Thus making the gap bigger - leading to higher grades and better opportunities for rich kids.
Last edited by Sabertooth; 1 month ago
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by V℮rsions)

I say this purely because punishing children who do not do work outside of their legally required school hours (or taking their lunch break to get it done as substitute) is actually nuts. If a child wants to do work outside of school, let them - but jesus we actually punish kids with detentions and shouting at them because they want a good work-life balance... so yea OP, agree! Ban it being punishable.
This is effectively burdening a child with their own attainment. It makes some sense to threaten kids with some kind of intervention (I would like framing "detentions" in a more positive way, but ultimately they would always take out of a student's own time so effectively a "detention") when they are at an age when they are generally not self-motivated. Once it comes to sixth form, and to an extent at GCSE, you can expect a lot more self-motivation.
PadawanRyan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't feel that homework should be banned because students learn valuable skills from their homework. First and foremost, it helps them to receive feedback from their teachers/professors/instructors about where they require improvement, and therefore helps them to improve their skills in the long run. And I don't think we should make it optional because many students don't realize they need to work on these skills until they do receive that feedback—they don't necessarily know what skills they are supposed to be working on and obtaining, because too many schools emphasize the degree subject as the employable thing on a résumé and not the skills that degree taught you.

Instead, I think the issue is simply how many instructors choose to assign/grade homework. As I mentioned above, feedback and skill-building should be the focus. It shouldn't necessarily be about grades. Yes, good grades should be the incentive to improve those skills, but instructors should be more lenient with their grading. As a professor myself (as I work on my PhD) I give points for effort even if students are completely wrong—not the same amount of points they might get if their work was done well, but as long as they try to meet my instructions, they at least pass (if they follow all the requirements listed in the assignment outline but the argument is weak, spelling and grammar is atrocious, etc. they still get at least 50% as that's a pass, but they also get a lot of feedback to indicate why it wasn't higher than that and how they can achieve higher if that is their goal).
Last edited by PadawanRyan; 1 month ago
Justvisited
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by urlocalinmate)
It was originally a punishment, so yes.
Interesting - link?

I'd like to have seen the school lockdowns work with no homework!
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Daft, I can see why you had to beg people not to openly reply.
Nobody2u
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
I think that's a bad idea. A lot of people already have a problem with the disparities in education between rich and poorer people. Kids of rich parents will be encouraged to do their "optional" homework, poorer ones are more likely to not have parents as invested in education. Thus making the gap bigger - leading to higher grades and better opportunities for rich kids.
So are you saying poor parents are bad parents? Can only rich parents help their kids?? I think the argument s a bit more complex than that! Make prep time after school available at school with free help from teachers, and I think quite a few poorer parents would love their children to stay. For a significant proportion of poorer parents, It's not that they don't want to invest in their children's education, it's that they don't have the level themselves, or the time available to do so.
urlocalinmate
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Justvisited)
Interesting - link?

I'd like to have seen the school lockdowns work with no homework!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homework

Apparently a myth. It was basically non-existent in 1905 so it seems realistic as a punishment to me.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nobody2u)
So are you saying poor parents are bad parents? Can only rich parents help their kids?? I think the argument s a bit more complex than that! Make prep time after school available at school with free help from teachers, and I think quite a few poorer parents would love their children to stay. For a significant proportion of poorer parents, It's not that they don't want to invest in their children's education, it's that they don't have the level themselves, or the time available to do so.
No, I'm not saying poor people are bad parents just that For a significant proportion of poorer parents, It's not that they don't want to invest in their children's education, it's that they don't have the level themselves, or the time available to do so.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Trilobite.)
No.

It allows for the consolidation of information and allows kids to develop skills around working independently, research and time management.
I agree.
As long as excessive amounts aren't given out, then, yes homework should stay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's worrying you most about starting back at school/college this year?

The potential for Covid to keep disrupting things (111)
14.55%
My mental health (111)
14.55%
Feeling behind academically (144)
18.87%
Making friends/social anxiety (138)
18.09%
How to organise myself (25)
3.28%
How to revise/study effectively (91)
11.93%
Future career, uni, pathway planning and applications (128)
16.78%
Something else - let us know in the thread (15)
1.97%

Watched Threads