The Student Room Group

Tokyo 2020 Olympics: Swimming and Artistic Swimming!

Welcome to the Tokyo Olympics 2020! :awesome:
:nutcase: This thread is all about Swimming and Artistic Swimming :nutcase:

The schedule for Artistic Swimming can be found here.

The schedule for Swimming can be found here.

Use this thread to make your predictions about these sports and discuss the events as they happen. :grin:

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

One of the prestigeous disciplines at Olympia and the one with a great touch of glory: Mark Spitz and Michael Phelps for instance are American swimmers I had never or hardly seen swimming at these competitions, but their reputations preceded them.

By the way I like swimming by myself, it is relaxing.
(edited 2 years ago)
*Sets up camp in this thread*

Peaty was on form in the heats today!
Solid 200m heat from Tom Dean
Good performance from Duncan Scott in the heat too

And an interesting heat for Scheffer of Brazil!
Fascinating watching McIntosh of Canada really pushing Katie Ledecky in the 400m free.
Team GB out of the men's 100m freestyle relay in the heats.
Peaty won gold in the 100m men's breastroke, defending his Olympic title! :biggrin: I just watched the replay as sadly I wasn't able to watch at 3am...
The time difference is so annoying so have to watch them all on replay. Haven't seen Peaty's win yet but heard it was epic and I've been following his career for years. Top lad!
I also heard that Tom Daley and Matty Lee won gold in the 10m synchronised diving, so I am going to watch that later!
Original post by Celtic Conjurer
The time difference is so annoying so have to watch them all on replay. Haven't seen Peaty's win yet but heard it was epic and I've been following his career for years. Top lad!

Yes I agree, it's a bit frustrating. I did enjoy being able to watch Peaty's heat on Saturday at 1pm BST though.
It's not the time difference that is the problem. American television paid enough money to have the medal races in morning time Tokyo. Usually it would be in the evening session, which is 11am BST. However, in this competition we have the heats in the evening and the medal races in the morning. This is why we're seeing faster times swum in the heats rather than the finals.
Original post by 04MR17
It's not the time difference that is the problem. American television paid enough money to have the medal races in morning time Tokyo. Usually it would be in the evening session, which is 11am BST. However, in this competition we have the heats in the evening and the medal races in the morning. This is why we're seeing faster times swum in the heats rather than the finals.

I did wonder why this was the case. I've very surprised that the US media managed to influence race times though!

im back lol:biggrin:

also i watch alot of olympics cos we got some rain in hampshire so we could not go out all the time but i watched it on reply like you
Original post by CatusStarbright
I did wonder why this was the case. I've very surprised that the US media managed to influence race times though!
It happened in Beijing too, back when a certain Mr Phelps was aiming to achieve 8 gold medals in the games. This olympiad they have a number of very strong female swimmers including Ledecky and King.
Original post by Wise Goldie
im back lol:biggrin:

also i watch alot of olympics cos we got some rain in hampshire so we could not go out all the time but i watched it on reply like you

Yeah, Olympics is gorgeous to watch on TV, but better when the venue is in Europe because then a lot of it is during the evening and not too late or in the morning when everyone's at work!
Yeah, Olympics is gorgeous to watch on TV, but better when the venue is in Europe because then a lot of it is during the evening and not too late or in the morning when everyone's at work!

Next time it is in Paris, so we shall have times that fit us better :smile:

i agree its on about 5am so im sleeping then lol:biggrin:

hope you are doing ok mr celtic
Original post by 04MR17
It happened in Beijing too, back when a certain Mr Phelps was aiming to achieve 8 gold medals in the games. This olympiad they have a number of very strong female swimmers including Ledecky and King.

I confess I only just about remember Beijing given I was only nine at the time!
Original post by CatusStarbright
Next time it is in Paris, so we shall have times that fit us better :smile:

I hope to go to some of the events in Paris.
I missed all bar the last two dives in the diving this morning.

Quick Reply

Latest