HKU/CUHK Non-JUPAS Medicine 2022 Entry

Watch
That Seagull
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by rimskys)
Is it possible for us to receive a 3A*1A CO?
I have heard of it, but only for International A-levels. I have also heard of people missing their 4A* offer by a grade but still getting in (but most people who miss the offer get rejected; those who get in are a minority in that demographic).

Basically, don't bank on that unless you've got special relations with the faculty; for 99% of applications you will need a 4A* predicted and will receive a 4A* offer post-interview.
That Seagull
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by newpotatobeef)
Yes. But I think I have to restart from Y1, which I don’t mind.
You will be able to skip Year 3 (Enrichment Year) as a postgrad
Terrafied
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Guys I didn't take any official exams for my second language qualifications is waiver the only way to obtain a qualifications ? I only did a few years of secondary school exam in Hong Kong and then switched to the UK. Although I know both mandarin and cantonese I can't proof my proficiency
Anonymous #11
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is applying as a high school graduate taking a gap year or one studying year 1 medicine better?
Good question
Anonymous #12
Report 1 week ago
Lost my personal statement so I can't apply before the second round application...
Is it still possible for me to get interviews from both HKU and CU?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Did anyone get interview invites yet? When do they usually send them out for first round interviews?
That Seagull
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Lost my personal statement so I can't apply before the second round application...
Is it still possible for me to get interviews from both HKU and CU?
HKU: tomorrow is the deadline, I believe
CUHK: application must be in by 6 Jan 2022

Reminder: keep multiple copies of your personal statement in a safe hard drive, your computer and on online drives. Make sure you don't lose it.
That Seagull
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Terrafied)
Guys I didn't take any official exams for my second language qualifications is waiver the only way to obtain a qualifications ? I only did a few years of secondary school exam in Hong Kong and then switched to the UK. Although I know both mandarin and cantonese I can't proof my proficiency
You can apply for an exam for this year e.g. IGCSE Chinese and let them know that the results have not been released yet
That Seagull
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Did anyone get interview invites yet? When do they usually send them out for first round interviews?
Do you mean HKU interview invites? I received my invite back in 10 Dec 2019; the interview date was 19 Dec 2019 (F2F because no COVID yet).
A friend of mine in the year below got his invite on 9 Dec 2020; the interview date was 18 Dec 2020 (Zoom).
Assume it'll be around that timeframe, and that there will be about 9-10 days between the invite and the actual interview date.
That Seagull
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Might as well repost this message for the newcomers to this thread, as a few people have already reached out to me on Reddit

I'm a current 2nd year student in HKU Medicine with a scholarship, and I had offers from both HKU MBBS and CUHK MBChB+GPS. AMA here/post your questions on the HKUniversity sub I moderate on Reddit/PM me on Reddit (my username is u/SuperSeagull01), I'm a lot more active on there haha
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by That Seagull)
Do you mean HKU interview invites? I received my invite back in 10 Dec 2019; the interview date was 19 Dec 2019 (F2F because no COVID yet).
A friend of mine in the year below got his invite on 9 Dec 2020; the interview date was 18 Dec 2020 (Zoom).
Assume it'll be around that timeframe, and that there will be about 9-10 days between the invite and the actual interview date.
Thank you for your reply! Easing my fears haha, don’t really want to be interviewed in April at all.
Anonymous #12
Report 1 week ago
HKU: tomorrow is the deadline, I believe
CUHK: application must be in by 6 Jan 2022

Reminder: keep multiple copies of your personal statement in a safe hard drive, your computer and on online drives. Make sure you don't lose it.
Thank you. I just submitted a new one. Almost messed up lmao
That Seagull
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Thank you for your reply! Easing my fears haha, don’t really want to be interviewed in April at all.
Well about that... for CUHK, my interview invite was on 28 Feb 2020, and the interview was 15 Apr 2020 (over Zoom).

But for my friend in the year below, his interview invite was on 17 Dec 2020, and the interview was 5 Jan 2021 (again, over Zoom)

No idea when CUHK will start the interviews this year lol
That Seagull
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Thank you. I just submitted a new one. Almost messed up lmao
You're welc
Would highly recommend you submit the CUHK appli asap if you're planning to apply there too. There's no point in waiting longer if your PS is ready
Joy_Z
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Damn just went through last year's thread and seems like I don't even stand a chance
non-local HKU biomed degree holder predicted second upper degree (and similar in major cGPA)
Geo668899
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi I am a master’s degree holders applying to the MBBS this year at HKU. May I ask you that if they care about Medical publication? Had an oral presentation at an international conference and an article under review in a leading journal. If you think that would be helpful? Thanks!
That Seagull
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Joy_Z)
Damn just went through last year's thread and seems like I don't even stand a chance
non-local HKU biomed degree holder predicted second upper degree (and similar in major cGPA)
Yeah, competition is genuinely insane. Without a first hons it'll be an uphill battle, especially when it's HKU
That Seagull
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Geo668899)
Hi I am a master’s degree holders applying to the MBBS this year at HKU. May I ask you that if they care about Medical publication? Had an oral presentation at an international conference and an article under review in a leading journal. If you think that would be helpful? Thanks!
If you put it in your CV/PS and you get the chance to discuss about how knowledgeable you are in this field in the interview, it'll defo help your chances; but HKU still tends to put a lot more attention on your academic stats e.g. GPA, degree classifications

Best of luck in the interviews, hopefully this topic shows up and you can flex that experience!
Last edited by That Seagull; 1 week ago
Anonymous #9
Report 1 week ago
Might as well repost this message for the newcomers to this thread, as a few people have already reached out to me on Reddit

I'm a current 2nd year student in HKU Medicine with a scholarship, and I had offers from both HKU MBBS and CUHK MBChB+GPS. AMA here/post your questions on the HKUniversity sub I moderate on Reddit/PM me on Reddit (my username is u/SuperSeagull01), I'm a lot more active on there haha
Good for you! I heard that HKU’s med program is difficult and many students could not pass the exam in the first or second year and needed to drop out. Is that true?
That Seagull
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Good for you! I heard that HKU’s med program is difficult and many students could not pass the exam in the first or second year and needed to drop out. Is that true?
Yes, it sure as hell is difficult and challenging! But I'd rather it be that way than having it be easy and producing mediocre doctors.

In HKU preclinical years (Y1, Y2) it works this way: for our year end exams, if you get a fail (i.e. below 60% for the paper exam/clinical skills exam/continuous assessment) you get 1 shot at retaking the exam (a supplementary exam), if you pass you continue to the next year but if you still fail the supplementary exam you have to repeat the year. If you repeat the year and proceed to fail again, you may be asked to leave. (I have never heard of anybody dropping out like that though!)

The fail rate is approximately 15-25% for the paper exam (and usually 0-1% for the other two exams), and of the unfortunate students who have to sit the supplementary exam, most do end up passing. The rate for people having to retake a year is about 2-3%.

Hope this answers your question!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (97)
34.89%
Yes - a trusted person (77)
27.7%
No (73)
26.26%
I'm not sure (31)
11.15%

Watched Threads