HKU/CUHK Non-JUPAS Medicine 2022 Entry

Watch
newpotatobeef
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by That Seagull)
Yes, it sure as hell is difficult and challenging! But I'd rather it be that way than having it be easy and producing mediocre doctors.

In HKU preclinical years (Y1, Y2) it works this way: for our year end exams, if you get a fail (i.e. below 60% for the paper exam/clinical skills exam/continuous assessment) you get 1 shot at retaking the exam (a supplementary exam), if you pass you continue to the next year but if you still fail the supplementary exam you have to repeat the year. If you repeat the year and proceed to fail again, you may be asked to leave. (I have never heard of anybody dropping out like that though!)

The fail rate is approximately 15-25% for the paper exam (and usually 0-1% for the other two exams), and of the unfortunate students who have to sit the supplementary exam, most do end up passing. The rate for people having to retake a year is about 2-3%.

Hope this answers your question!
May I ask if the OSCE is conducted in Cantonese or English?

Again, I'm currently a Year 1 MBBS student at Newcastle University, with a First Class in Neuroscience from UCL. Applied for transfer.
Anonymous #9
Report 1 week ago
Yes, it sure as hell is difficult and challenging! But I'd rather it be that way than having it be easy and producing mediocre doctors.

In HKU preclinical years (Y1, Y2) it works this way: for our year end exams, if you get a fail (i.e. below 60% for the paper exam/clinical skills exam/continuous assessment) you get 1 shot at retaking the exam (a supplementary exam), if you pass you continue to the next year but if you still fail the supplementary exam you have to repeat the year. If you repeat the year and proceed to fail again, you may be asked to leave. (I have never heard of anybody dropping out like that though!)

The fail rate is approximately 15-25% for the paper exam (and usually 0-1% for the other two exams), and of the unfortunate students who have to sit the supplementary exam, most do end up passing. The rate for people having to retake a year is about 2-3%.

Hope this answers your question!
Thanks for the details! Heard that HKU med is tough too as need to self study a lot. Do you need to study many hours a day everyday? Do students have some balance of life?
That Seagull
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by newpotatobeef)
May I ask if the OSCE is conducted in Cantonese or English?

Again, I'm currently a Year 1 MBBS student at Newcastle University, with a First Class in Neuroscience from UCL. Applied for transfer.
OSCE is conducted in both languages! You must speak in Cantonese while explaining procedures/explaining results to the patient, and speak in English while answering questions from the examiner/narrating what you are doing to the examiner.

The OSCE script is not particularly difficult, and I know many non-Cantonese speakers (e.g. from Mainland China outside the Canton region, from Korea, from India, from SE Asia) who performed well in the exam. You usually have a period of about 2-3 weeks after your paper exams to practice OSCE, so it's common practice to form small groups to rehearse the rundown of the exam.

A bigger concern, perhaps, is clinical years, as Cantonese is often required to communicate with patients (e.g. taking history). But hopefully in the 3 years before clin years start you'll pick it up as a second or third language!
That Seagull
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks for the details! Heard that HKU med is tough too as need to self study a lot. Do you need to study many hours a day everyday? Do students have some balance of life?
Well... I'm a bit of a lazy lad so I don't study too much (usually 2-5 hours a day, including attending lectures and tutorials), but I do study (or at least, pretend to study) a lot during revision break (~6 hours a day). Some people who aim for distinctions may have a much more draconian revision schedule (I've heard stories about people studying 12-15 hours on end without break. Hell nah.)

Student life is pretty vibrant in HKUMed! We have over a dozen student societies (either HKU MBBS-exclusive or cross-university with CUHK MBChB) which all have their own different flair and legacy, PBL groups tend to become very close (I'd say I've met most of my best friends in MBBS through PBL) and hall people are crazy in their own way. There obviously are some people who don't participate in anything and "self-fold" at home/study halls, but if you want to make friends and have fun, there are plenty of opportunities. In fact I struggle to keep the work in my work/life balance XD
koyyj127
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
I've applied to hku med already but I'm also planning to apply to a hku postgrad programme once it's opened. Do you think this will affect my chances?
That Seagull
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by koyyj127)
I've applied to hku med already but I'm also planning to apply to a hku postgrad programme once it's opened. Do you think this will affect my chances?
I doubt it, especially if it's in a separate faculty.
Anonymous #9
Report 4 days ago
Well... I'm a bit of a lazy lad so I don't study too much (usually 2-5 hours a day, including attending lectures and tutorials), but I do study (or at least, pretend to study) a lot during revision break (~6 hours a day). Some people who aim for distinctions may have a much more draconian revision schedule (I've heard stories about people studying 12-15 hours on end without break. Hell nah.)

Student life is pretty vibrant in HKUMed! We have over a dozen student societies (either HKU MBBS-exclusive or cross-university with CUHK MBChB) which all have their own different flair and legacy, PBL groups tend to become very close (I'd say I've met most of my best friends in MBBS through PBL) and hall people are crazy in their own way. There obviously are some people who don't participate in anything and "self-fold" at home/study halls, but if you want to make friends and have fun, there are plenty of opportunities. In fact I struggle to keep the work in my work/life balance XD
2-5 hrs per day including lectures and tutorials is so few! I thought students in business or other arts and science subjects would spend so little time? It seems even more relaxed than a high school kid. Are you just relatively smarter or are most of the other students in med studying like 10 hours a day?
Anonymous #13
Report 3 days ago
Does anyone know what kind of extracurricular activities they look for? I've done some shadowing and volunteering at a hospital but not so many positions with leadership roles
Anonymous #11
Report 2 days ago
Does anyone know what scores of UCAT or BMAT are HKU and CUHK medicine expecting? Any past figures? Many thanks
That Seagull
Rep:
Report 5 minutes ago
2-5 hrs per day including lectures and tutorials is so few! I thought students in business or other arts and science subjects would spend so little time? It seems even more relaxed than a high school kid. Are you just relatively smarter or are most of the other students in med studying like 10 hours a day?
Currently as I am preparing for my midyear exams (formatives; they don't count towards the final score but I still don't wanna fail lol) I am regretting that decision :P

I'm definitely not smarter, there are plenty of galaxy-brained people and plenty of mega-tryhards. But I think I tend to snap into and out of a "revision mode" quite quickly, so I can get stuff done relatively quickly when compared to my peers; I also get burnt out quickly when I'm facing a pile of words, so I like to just get stuff out of the way ASAP. I've also figured out that doing past papers is one of the best ways to revise for me, so I've focus on those (spending about 1-2 hours doing the paper + 3-4 hours putting together the mark scheme) instead of using other methods that might be a lot more time consuming.
That Seagull
Rep:
Report 2 minutes ago
Does anyone know what kind of extracurricular activities they look for? I've done some shadowing and volunteering at a hospital but not so many positions with leadership roles
All types of ECA's can be viewed favourably if you paint your role in it in a favourable light.

"Leadership roles" aren't necessarily just the roles labelled "President", "Chairman", etc; you can be a member and still lead events/discussions/etc. so if you talk about those in detail then that could tick the leadership box.
That Seagull
Rep:
Report 1 minute ago
Does anyone know what scores of UCAT or BMAT are HKU and CUHK medicine expecting? Any past figures? Many thanks
UCAT and BMAT tend to be something they ignore/place little attention on. They care a lot more about:
- Pre-interview: your personal statement, your achieved academic grades (e.g. GCSEs, SATs, APs)
- Post-interview: your interview performance; post-conditional offer: if your grades meet/exceed the offer requirements
Last edited by That Seagull; 1 minute ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (97)
34.89%
Yes - a trusted person (77)
27.7%
No (73)
26.26%
I'm not sure (31)
11.15%

Watched Threads