The Student Room Group

HKU/CUHK Non-JUPAS Medicine 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Terrafied
Just curious anyone got interview offers yet ?

Hi there! I think that interview offers for HKU around sent around ten days in advance of interviews. HKU's website states that interviews will be held between December 20-28th, and so I would assume that interview offers will be sent out around December 10th onwards. Good luck!

(Btw, I am no admissions officer, this is purely my speculation other than December 20-28th as it's posted on the website!)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Kakashisama
U stand no chance at all. Only high school leavers taking IAL will be considered. Elder folks in their twenties would not be interviewed even if they have 4A* in IAL. I know college graduates who took 2 yrs to prepare for IAL just to ensure they would get 4A* in one attempt. They did it but HKU&CU med just simply dismiss their applications.

Put it in another way, med school only want to take the brightest ones. For high school leavers at age 18-19, public exams like IAL IB DSE r wt they can do at most. While for elder folks, they shd be able to prove themselves via more advanced parameters like GPA, research paper publications, etc but not going back to take an exam of high school lv.

Thank you for the reply, I will keep moving forward maybe gaining a bachelor's degree first then oversea med school(graduate entry)
Original post by Lovebear2951
Hi there! I think that interview offers for HKU around sent around ten days in advance of interviews. HKU's website states that interviews will be held between December 20-28th, and so I would assume that interview offers will be sent out around December 10th onwards. Good luck!

Thanks !
I can remember last year I received the interview invitation on 9 Dec 2am UK time
Reply 84
Original post by That Seagull
Hello all! I'm a current 2nd year student in HKU Med with a scholarship, and I had offers from both HKU MBBS and CUHK MBChB+GPS. AMA, I'll check on this thread once in a while lol. Or post your questions on the HKUniversity sub I moderate on Reddit :smile:, I'm a lot more active on there haha

Hi , I am applying from Singapore, do you know anyone with SG A level in HKU MBBS?
Reply 85
Do i stand any chance ?

My background
country of application : Singapore
Non local chinese
Singapore A level with 4A
Original post by fyt00
Do i stand any chance ?

My background
country of application : Singapore
Non local chinese
Singapore A level with 4A

You don't stand any chance.
I would advise you apply for medical school in the UK.
You can consider Newcastle university Medicine Malaysia.
Reply 87
Original post by newpotatobeef
You don't stand any chance.
I would advise you apply for medical school in the UK.
You can consider Newcastle university Medicine Malaysia.

may I know why ? Is it because HKU does not recognize Singapore A level?
Original post by fyt00

I guess he/she meant that there’s a very small possibility that they’ll admit non local Chinese even tho they didn’t state that they only accept local people like what HKU BDS did.

Given that YLLSoM and LKCMedicine are both prestigious and good med schools, may I know why you wish to apply to HKU instead of staying in SG med schools which are already very very good
Original post by fyt00

And btw they do recognise international qualifications which you can refer back to their web.. and HKU doesn’t have a set quota/ percentage like 3% for SG PR and 1% for international students in sg uni
Reply 90
Original post by Anonymous
I guess he/she meant that there’s a very small possibility that they’ll admit non local Chinese even tho they didn’t state that they only accept local people like what HKU BDS did.

Given that YLLSoM and LKCMedicine are both prestigious and good med schools, may I know why you wish to apply to HKU instead of staying in SG med schools which are already very very good

Oo. Thank u.

Haha but is cool that newpotatobeef is a non local chinese and he is applying the second time .
Original post by fyt00
Hi , I am aypplying from Singapore, do you know anyone with SG A level in HKU MBBS?

Do u hold a HK permanent ID? If not, then chances r slim.
I do know. In my cohort, we hv 3 singaporeans with HKID(parents r from hk). They finished their high school n military service in SG before coming to HK for med. One of them went back to SG right after grad. Another one stayed in hk as he married a hk girl. The last one dropped out
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by fyt00
Oo. Thank u.

Haha but is cool that newpotatobeef is a non local chinese and he is applying the second time .

yeah I'm cool hahahaahha
Reply 93
Original post by Kakashisama
Do u hold a HK permanent ID? If not, then chances r slim.
I do know. In my cohort, we hv 3 singaporeans with HKID(parents r from hk). They finished their high school n military service in SG before coming to HK for med. One of them went back to SG right after grad. Another one stayed in hk as he married a hk girl. The last one dropped out

Thank u! I do not have a HKID . guess I will just wait for the reaction. Anyone knows When does HKU start sending rejecting email or update application status to unsuccessful ?
Original post by Anonymous
And btw they do recognise international qualifications which you can refer back to their web.. and HKU doesn’t have a set quota/ percentage like 3% for SG PR and 1% for international students in sg uni

1. Financing issues
The govt discourages subsidizing nonlocal students

A piece of news from 2010
「【本 地生, 調 1名來 西 10 60 有距離 3 。」

U needa persuade the faculty as to why they hv to fund 500k HKD x 6 = 3millions HKD to admit u to train u as a doctor. While this 3million can be saved n spent elsewhere if they admit a local student. Say, funding a research program, 3million is enough to hire several RAs( junior RA = ~20k per month, senior RA 30-40k per month ). It seems more money well-spent to fund research for publications , for ranking, for jobs, etc

600k HKD/yr = cost of a HK Med degree ( statistics from UGC report in 2010, shd be higher now in 2021)
100k HKD/yr = tuition charged for nonlocal ( figures in 2010, now 171,000 in 2021)
So the deficit/gap is 500k HKD per yr for HKU to admit a nonlocal students. The public-funded HKU has to raise money from other sources to sponsor nonlocal students.

-------------------------
2. There exists limitations set by the govt on how many nonlocal students can be admitted into a program.

Under the existing policy, University Grants Committee (UGC)-funded institutions may admit non-local students to their sub-degree, degree and taught postgraduate programmes up to a level not exceeding 20% of the approved student number targets for these programmes. This 20% quota comprises up to 4% within the UGC-funded number and up to 16% outside the UGC-funded number. In 2008, the Administration raised the quota from 10% to 20% and maintained the 4% quota within the UGC-funded number, so that non-local students are primarily admitted by over-enrolment on top of the approved student number targets and they will not compete directly with local students.
-----+-------------

So, 1 + 2, thats why faculty of med/dentistry r the faculties with few nonlocal undergraduate students compared to faculty if arts/social science/business
Don't give up your dreams for medicine is already good enough.
Has anyone got an interview with CUHK for 30 Dec?
Original post by krabspatti

no did you get one?
Original post by krabspatti

yessssss I got also
Apparently alot of CU applicants have already got their interview invitation for 30th Dec. I am still applying to CU and will complete within this week. Do I still have a chance to get into the 30th Dec round ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending