The Student Room Group

Tokyo 2020 Olympics: Sport Climbing

Attachment not found

Welcome to the Tokyo Olympics 2020! :biggrin:

~This thread is all about Sport Climbing~

This is a new event for the Olympics, and has caused some controversy amongst climbers, as it combines three separate disciplines (lead climbing, bouldering and speed climbing), with only one set of medals per gender. In fact, speed climbing will be a separate event in the 2024 Paris Olympics, but for now they remain combined, potentially forcing competitors out of their comfort zones.

The schedule can be found here.

Use this thread to make your predictions about this sport, and discuss the events as they happen. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
@AngryJellyfish

The first qualification round for the men begins tomorrow. Are you excited?

Original post by AngryJellyfish
Attachment not found

Welcome to the Tokyo Olympics 2020! :biggrin:

~This thread is all about Sport Climbing~

(...) In fact, speed climbing will be a separate event in the 2024 Paris Olympics, but for now they remain combined, potentially forcing competitors out of their comfort zones.

(...)

In short there are more competitions in Paris in comparison to Tokio?
Original post by Kallisto
@AngryJellyfish

The first qualification round for the men begins tomorrow. Are you excited?

I'll try and follow this one as best as I can. All taking place during my working hours though. :grumble:

Original post by Kallisto
In short there are more competitions in Paris in comparison to Tokio?

Apparently they were only granted two medals this year (one for men and one for women), so the plan was to include all three major disciplines into one, and hope that the Olympic committee would agree to separate them in future. It worked!
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I'll try and follow this one as best as I can. All taking place during my working hours though. :grumble:

Apparently they were only granted two medals this year (one for men and one for women), so the plan was to include all three major disciplines into one, and hope that the Olympic committee would agree to separate them in future. It worked!

That is the time skipping in Tokio: the city is approximately 7 hours ahead, if I am not mistaken. It is a good sign that a new sport is accepted for the Olympics and even in planning to extend. That is a big step for modern versatility.
Watching this for the first time this morning.

Absolutely incredible. The speed they can do this!
Shauna Coxsey does a first run of 10.07

She'll want to do better.

Currently sat in 15th following the first round of speed climbs.
Miroslaw smashes a 6.97 :eek4:

I'm told, that is very fast :colondollar:
Solid speed climb from Coxsey

The Russian against her fell and began to cry
Original post by 04MR17
Watching this for the first time this morning.

Absolutely incredible. The speed they can do this!

Yep, the speed of climbing the climbers do is very fast. Interesting to watch in TV.
Original post by 04MR17
Miroslaw smashes a 6.97 :eek4:

I'm told, that is very fast :colondollar:

6.96 is the world record to put it into perspective 🤯
Seeing the lead discipline now has my heart racing I must say.

I attempted rock climbing myself recently and was horrendous at it. :redface: not arm strength at all.
Slightly confusing choice of background music in this event :hmmmm2:
Great stuff from Coxsey, finishing 10th overall. Just shy of the top 8 going through to the final.

Quick Reply