The Student Room Group

Global Health & Social Medicine at KCL or Human Sciences at UCL?

I am from the US (IB Diploma Programme), so I know less about the differences between UK unis and their programs. I have been accepted at King's for the Global Health & Social Medicine BSc for 2022. However, I am aware that the rating for King's has been dropping in recent years and it does not have as good of a reputation as UCL. I ended up getting an IB score of 38, so I am now eligible for the Human Sciences BSc at UCL. I may be able to get into the program via adjustment on UCAS. I could also reapply to both courses during my gap year and risk losing my place at King's.

Both Global Health & Social Medicine at KCL and Human Sciences at UCL seem to fit my interests and provide both medical and social knowledge. Does anyone have insight into the differences between the courses? Is it worth risking my acceptance to King's next year for the chance of getting into UCL's Human Sciences program? If Human Sciences is available during adjustment, should I favor it over Global Health & Social Medicine at King's? I would really appreciate some help!
Kings just has *****y student satisfaction ratings bringing it down. That specific course has the opposite, I would take it if I was you.

Human Sciences BSc at UCL is way too diverse, not specific enough. The other is exactly what the title suggests, about making a difference globally from a health standpoint.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the answer! Is there a specific website where I can compare the student satisfaction ratings?

Original post by random_matt
Kings just has *****y student satisfaction ratings bringing it down. That specific course has the opposite, I would take it if I was you.

Human Sciences BSc at UCL is way too diverse, not specific enough. The other is exactly what the title suggests, about making a difference globally from a health standpoint.
Original post by KCLorUCL??
Thanks for the answer! Is there a specific website where I can compare the student satisfaction ratings?

Course specific: https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10003645/UBSH3SSGS/Full-time/
You can search all courses, even that UCL one.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
Shows satisfaction on all universities generally. Has a big impact on overall position, I myself don't pay too much attention to them. KCL ends up being 124th on that measure, ouch. UCL not much better.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by random_matt
Course specific: https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10003645/UBSH3SSGS/Full-time/
You can search all courses, even that UCL one.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
Shows satisfaction on all universities generally. Has a big impact on overall position, I myself don't pay too much attention to them. KCL ends up being 124th on that measure, ouch. UCL not much better.

Thank you!
There is essentially very little difference between these two - they are both high profile colleges at the University of London, both have an international reputation. So - instead of focussing on the college, you need to look at which course interests you more. Look at the core/compulsory modules, look the optional modules for all three years of the course, think about which you would actually choose - and why. Remember its the course you will be studying every day for three years, not 'the college'.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
There is essentially very little difference between these two - they are both high profile colleges at the University of London, both have an international reputation. So - instead of focussing on the college, you need to look at which course interests you more. Look at the core/compulsory modules, look the optional modules for all three years of the course, think about which you would actually choose - and why. Remember its the course you will be studying every day for three years, not 'the college'.

Thank you!
As above, look at the courses because the two courses are vastly different. The KCL course is a primarily a social sciences course in global public health. There is much less content in the sciences and what you study will be much more restricted. There are few scientific options for your final year. If your aim is to do a scientific course, or primarily a scientific course, the UCL course would be a better fit for you I think.

The UCL course is fundamentally a biosciences degree which gives you a lot of flexibility to range across the subdisciplines of the biosciences and also complement these with courses in e.g. biological anthropology, human evolution and related archaeology courses. If you wanted to study biological/physical anthropology it would be an excellent course to not only study that are but also get a much stronger background in the basic sciences behind that area. However if you also wanted to just do a purely bioscience degree you can also do that and tailor your options to pretty much any field in the biosciences.
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
As above, look at the courses because the two courses are vastly different. The KCL course is a primarily a social sciences course in global public health. There is much less content in the sciences and what you study will be much more restricted. There are few scientific options for your final year. If your aim is to do a scientific course, or primarily a scientific course, the UCL course would be a better fit for you I think.

The UCL course is fundamentally a biosciences degree which gives you a lot of flexibility to range across the subdisciplines of the biosciences and also complement these with courses in e.g. biological anthropology, human evolution and related archaeology courses. If you wanted to study biological/physical anthropology it would be an excellent course to not only study that are but also get a much stronger background in the basic sciences behind that area. However if you also wanted to just do a purely bioscience degree you can also do that and tailor your options to pretty much any field in the biosciences.

Thanks for the answer! Part of my confusion is caused by the fact that I don't know what I want to pursue after uni and haven't fully solidified my interests. I also plan on the neuroscience pathway within the GH&SM course at King's, so in my mind that made the two more comparable.
Thanks for the answer! Part of my confusion is caused by the fact that I don't know what I want to pursue after uni and haven't fully solidified my interests. I also plan on the neuroscience pathway within the GH&SM course at King's, so in my mind that made the two more comparable.

Yes but you would only study a quarter of your classes in neuroscience in each year of the degree. The rest would be broadly social scientific courses in public/global health. Honestly the KCL course most similar to the UCL Human Sciences course would probably be their Anatomy, Developmental and Human Biology or one of the other "biomolecular" suite courses they offer (e.g. physiology, pharmacology, biomedical sciences, etc).

You could take far more options in neuroscience and the bioscience fields that support that subject at UCL in human sciences, since you have largely free reign over your course options in human sciences provided you take a minimum amount in the core "feeder" departments for the course (including biosciences). You could study 100% of your course in the biosciences (including neuroscience) at UCL (although you may choose to study less than that proportion of your courses in that area), whereas at KCL you necessarily can't study more than a quarter of your courses in those fields normally by the look of it.
Reply 10
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes but you would only study a quarter of your classes in neuroscience in each year of the degree. The rest would be broadly social scientific courses in public/global health. Honestly the KCL course most similar to the UCL Human Sciences course would probably be their Anatomy, Developmental and Human Biology or one of the other "biomolecular" suite courses they offer (e.g. physiology, pharmacology, biomedical sciences, etc).

You could take far more options in neuroscience and the bioscience fields that support that subject at UCL in human sciences, since you have largely free reign over your course options in human sciences provided you take a minimum amount in the core "feeder" departments for the course (including biosciences). You could study 100% of your course in the biosciences (including neuroscience) at UCL (although you may choose to study less than that proportion of your courses in that area), whereas at KCL you necessarily can't study more than a quarter of your courses in those fields normally by the look of it.

Wow! Thanks for breaking down the differences so thoroughly! The reason I didn't apply to the courses you mentioned is that I don't meet the HL Chemistry requirement. Do you have any advice for figuring out which would be better for me? I don't know whether I would prefer a more technical or social degree.
(edited 2 years ago)
Wow! Thanks for breaking down the differences so thoroughly! The reason I didn't apply to the courses you mentioned is that I don't meet the HL Chemistry requirement. Do you have any advice for figuring out which would be better for me? I don't know whether I would prefer a more technical or social degree.

That's really a matter of personal preference/interests so I can't answer that for you. What you've said makes it sound like you're more interested in the biosciences side of things but maybe it's a misconception regarding the scope of neuroscience - it is very much a biological science discipline, not a form of (experimental) psychology per se.

One thing to note is if you don't have a chemistry background some of the UCL Human sciences first year modules may be a bit harder, as most are bioscience modules designed for students taking degrees that require A-level/IB HL chemistry. However as noted from second year onwards you pretty much get free reign to pick whatever option you wish, including more social science themed ones in the anthropology or archaeology departments (and later, in the institute of global health).
hey feel free to message me on insta @zarachowdhry I'm a second year studying global health at KCL
Reply 13
Thanks for the offer! I requested to follow your insta account so we can dm. my username is devastilwell
Reply 14
Original post by chowdhryzzz
hey feel free to message me on insta @zarachowdhry I'm a second year studying global health at KCL

hey I have a few questions I searched up your @ but it didn't come up?
Original post by nish58

Because they are no longer on TSR.
Original post by nish58

Hey sorry deactivated my Insta for exams feel free to email me - [email protected]

Latest

Trending

Trending