Velocity and differential equation

Watch this thread
Eris13696
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hello. Can someone tell me what they mean for d) I don’t understand this because I didn’t take physics so my knowledge in it is very dim and in the exams are we ever asked to elaborate and explain stuff like this?
Last edited by Eris13696; 9 months ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
Sure, an explain could be a question part. So as the solution says, what is dv/dt when v=60? What does it mean if the acceleration (dv/dt) is negative?
Eris13696
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
Sure, an explain could be a question part. So as the solution says, what is dv/dt when v=60? What does it mean if the acceleration (dv/dt) is negative?
the answer is negative, and because negative in physics it means the acceleration is slowing down right, what about the air resistance part :0?
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Eris13696)
the answer is negative, and because negative in physics it means the acceleration is slowing down right, what about the air resistance part :0?
negative acceleration means the speed is decreasing. It starts at v=60, but terminal speed is 50, so the speed must decrease from 60 to 50.

The acceleration
dv/dt = 10 - 0.2v
has two parts gravity (10) and air resistance (-0.2v). Newton 2 means that the total force (acceleration) is the sum of the two forces. Gravity generates a positive constant acceleration, air resistance is negative (it opposes motion) and is proportional to the speed.

gcse physics covers all you need to know about the interpretation.
Eris13696
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
negative acceleration means the speed is decreasing. It starts at v=60, but terminal speed is 50, so the speed must decrease from 60 to 50.

The acceleration
dv/dt = 10 - 0.2v
has two parts gravity (10) and air resistance (-0.2v). Newton 2 means that the total force (acceleration) is the sum of the two forces. Gravity generates a positive constant acceleration, air resistance is negative (it opposes motion) and is proportional to the speed.

gcse physics covers all you need to know about the interpretation.
If I’m honest I dropped physics since igcse because it’s not my strong points but thank you for the explanation, I really appreciate your help!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (37)
35.24%
The paper was reasonable (40)
38.1%
Not feeling great about that exam... (17)
16.19%
It was TERRIBLE (11)
10.48%

Watched Threads