BA ACTING Advice & tips needed for first year of applying & hopefully auditioning 🤞

Watch
HippyChick04
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'll be starting my first yr of applying for BA acting when back at college in Sept so looking for any (& mean anything at all) advice/tips etc you can give me will be a HUGE help.
I've researched & narrowed down my choices, started to fill in as much as can atm on ucas, have done a few drafts of personal statement and focusing on my monologues.
I'm looking at applying to....
GSA,
ARDEN,
Manchester Met,
LIPA,
Old Vic,
Central,
LAMDA,
RADA,
And maybe (still undecided)
University of Manchester,
University of Chichester.

Thanks in advance x
Ramseyd
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by HippyChick04)
I'll be starting my first yr of applying for BA acting when back at college in Sept so looking for any (& mean anything at all) advice/tips etc you can give me will be a HUGE help.
I've researched & narrowed down my choices, started to fill in as much as can atm on ucas, have done a few drafts of personal statement and focusing on my monologues.
GSA,
ARDEN,
Manchester Met,
LIPA,
Old Vic,
Central,
LAMDA,
RADA,

Thanks in advance x
For starters, if you’re planning to apply to all of those schools. Start saving! It is not cheap to audition for them and not to mention travel there too. I’d make this list shorter but if it’s well within your means, then forget what I said.
2. Monologue choices. In my opinion this, makes or breaks an audition. It’s important to Choose monologues that both showcase you as a person and you as an Actor/Actress. You’ll know when you’ve found the perfect one when your excited at the prospect of performing it. But not all monologues need to be the perfect one. I feel like you should have at least One holy grail, A monologue you know you can absolutely kill it with.
HippyChick04
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Ramseyd)
For starters, if you’re planning to apply to all of those schools. Start saving! It is not cheap to audition for them and not to mention travel there too. I’d make this list shorter but if it’s well within your means, then forget what I said.
2. Monologue choices. In my opinion this, makes or breaks an audition. It’s important to Choose monologues that both showcase you as a person and you as an Actor/Actress. You’ll know when you’ve found the perfect one when your excited at the prospect of performing it. But not all monologues need to be the perfect one. I feel like you should have at least One holy grail, A monologue you know you can absolutely kill it with.
Thanks for the reply,
I have a part time job which I'm currently saving my wages ready for auditions, travel etc & have researched the costing of this so all good there for this yr at least.
Are smashing the auditions more or as equally important as my personal statement & grades?
Where have you studied or applied to study?
When comes to monologues is there anything which is a big no go, ones to definitely avoid as are so overly used?x
Ramseyd
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
For drama schools, it’s entirely auditions. I can’t speak to Acting courses at Universities since I know little but at drama schools they’re pretty much not bothered about grades and personal statements. As long as you get two C grades that is and even then you can talk to the staff if you don’t meet the criteria. I applied Lamda, Guildhall, Rada, RCS, Royal Welsh and Central. I’ve gotten offers from Lamda and Guildhall and reserve list Rada. Not sure as of yet whether to go Lamda or Guildhall. In terms of Monologues, the “No’s” are All Classical Monologues. Some schools literally have a “No List” on their Website, so be sure to give it a check. The No lists are just Monologues that are very overdone. There are also very overdone Monologues that are not on the list so I’d avoid those. I would tell which these are but Im not too knowledgeable to female classical speeches. This isn’t a rule though! I know plenty who did Juliet from Romeo and Juliet and got several offers. It’s just something to be aware of.
AlexSilver
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Auditions are what get you shortlisted, but personal statements and grades can be important for drama schools which are affiliated to universities since entry grades contribute to their league table ranking scores.
So if you had two equal candidates but one had significantly higher grades & UCAS points (from music exams etc) it may give them an advantage.
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by HippyChick04)
GSA,
ARDEN,
Manchester Met,
LIPA,
Old Vic,
Central,
LAMDA,
RADA,

Thanks in advance x
HippyChick04
Hello! In terms of your choices, I have been studying at Arden University for the last two years (after attending another two) and could not recomend they highly enough. What I would advise is to look at student testimonials online and you can also talk to ambassadors from the different Universities. Just because something is higher up the league tables doesn't guarantee that it is a better student experience. My partner went to one of the Universities mentioned which is in the top 10 in the country, and she said that they were very hands off with students

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
HippyChick04
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Arden University)
HippyChick04
Hello! In terms of your choices, I have been studying at Arden University for the last two years (after attending another two) and could not recomend they highly enough. What I would advise is to look at student testimonials online and you can also talk to ambassadors from the different Universities. Just because something is higher up the league tables doesn't guarantee that it is a better student experience. My partner went to one of the Universities mentioned which is in the top 10 in the country, and she said that they were very hands off with students

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Hi thanks for your reply but its the Arden school of theatre I am applying to not your Arden, sorry x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.89%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (44)
19.56%

Watched Threads