The Student Room Group

Army Self Harm Rejection

Hi,

I recently applied for the army, and yesterday I received a letter that stated I got rejected for

"Intentional Self Harm in 2016 & 2019

and Low mood in "2016 & 2019"

I have looked at my medical records myself and some of this is partly wrong. I never self harmed in 2019 - I never had low mood in 2019. My medical records never even said I self harmed in 2019. Although they do state I had low mood in 2019 even though I didnt.

I did self harm once in 2016 and I have never done it since. I am now in a much better place mentally and believe that I would do well in the army.

I do plan on going to my doctors to see if they can help.

Do you think there is any point in appealing or is it a lost cause?.

I think with all the incorrect information I might have a chance but Id like other peoples thoughts

Thanks
If you can’t see on your medical records where they have got this information from, absolutely I would appeal it to find out where they got this info from and how you think it’s factually wrong.
I know others who have appealed and it’s been successful so it’s worth a shot!
Reply 2
Original post by Vetofferholder1
If you can’t see on your medical records where they have got this information from, absolutely I would appeal it to find out where they got this info from and how you think it’s factually wrong.
I know others who have appealed and it’s been successful so it’s worth a shot!

I should say Low Mood is recorded in 2019, although im not exactly sure why, I was never depressed then, there is self harm mentioned in 2019, but only regarding when I did it in 2016 to quote - "has self harmed but not recently". it even states on the same page that I feel happier and no longer has suicidal thoughts. The only things that are true they have mentioned are Low mood and self harm in 2016.
This whole thing is quite annoying because even though its not true they wont think that if its on my records
Original post by gnme
I should say Low Mood is recorded in 2019, although im not exactly sure why, I was never depressed then, there is self harm mentioned in 2019, but only regarding when I did it in 2016 to quote - "has self harmed but not recently". it even states on the same page that I feel happier and no longer has suicidal thoughts. The only things that are true they have mentioned are Low mood and self harm in 2016.
This whole thing is quite annoying because even though its not true they wont think that if its on my records

You need to go back to your GP and get them to clarify what they diagnosed, and ask if they can either change or add to your notes to make their diagnosis clear.

You can't get the GP to change their mind or change their diagnosis, a doctor is the arbiter of your conditions, not you, but they can clarify.

The only grounds for appeal are if you have new information to give or you thin they misunderstood information, so it's important that your GP makes it more clear what they diagnosed.
Original post by gnme
Hi,

I recently applied for the army, and yesterday I received a letter that stated I got rejected for

I have looked at my medical records myself and some of this is partly wrong. I never self harmed in 2019 - I never had low mood in 2019. My medical records never even said I self harmed in 2019. Although they do state I had low mood in 2019 even though I didnt.

I did self harm once in 2016 and I have never done it since. I am now in a much better place mentally and believe that I would do well in the army.

I think with all the incorrect information I might have a chance but Id like other peoples thoughts

Thanks

Slightly unrelated question, how did you access your medical records? (This is for me. My GP really isn't clear about this).
Reply 5
Original post by SpaceLover29
Slightly unrelated question, how did you access your medical records? (This is for me. My GP really isn't clear about this).

I had to go to my doctor and fill out a form and then they emailed me a link.
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
You need to go back to your GP and get them to clarify what they diagnosed, and ask if they can either change or add to your notes to make their diagnosis clear.

You can't get the GP to change their mind or change their diagnosis, a doctor is the arbiter of your conditions, not you, but they can clarify.

The only grounds for appeal are if you have new information to give or you thin they misunderstood information, so it's important that your GP makes it more clear what they diagnosed.

I will go to my doctors and appeal to see what I can do. If however I do not get in. Do you have any advice what I could do for a living. I have no qualifications at all, I never did my GCSE's, I left mid way through year 10 and even in school I never did much work. The army was one of the only jobs that I could find that I could possibly get into and it suit me. Any Ideas?
Original post by gnme
Hi,

Thanks

Hey,

As this was a year ago, I'm just wondering if you have managed to appeal, and it be successful?
I am going through the same thing with my application since I had applied in 2020.

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by migittot
Hey,

As this was a year ago, I'm just wondering if you have managed to appeal, and it be successful?
I am going through the same thing with my application since I had applied in 2020.

Thanks

The OP hasn't been on here in over a year. Regardless, every appeal is looked at on an individual basis and you can only submit one with information that is relevant to you.

Latest