The Student Room Group

Politics and Sociology courses

Any advice on what the best unis for politics and sociology are? Looking for a Russell group uni but also somewhere with a good social life etc. Most entry requirements for them are AAB-ABB which is achievable for me I'm pretty sure.
Reply 1
Original post by Marl3
Any advice on what the best unis for politics and sociology are? Looking for a Russell group uni but also somewhere with a good social life etc. Most entry requirements for them are AAB-ABB which is achievable for me I'm pretty sure.

Nottingham, Leeds, and York just to name a few.

I currently study Social and Political Sciences at York and whilst the nightlife isn't as good as Nottingham and Leeds admittedly, it's still a fantastic institution to study at and I love the city, the uni, and my course. As for York's nightlife, we're seeing the reopening of Kuda under new management and Ziggy's (apparently an iconic nightclub back in the days) is reopening in Micklegate which is in the city centre. Btw, it's also very cheap and easy to get to Leeds from York by train or bus (CityZap).

Happy to answer any questions about Social and Political Sciences at York - I've just finished my second year. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Nottingham, Leeds, and York just to name a few.

I currently study Social and Political Sciences at York and whilst the nightlife isn't as good as Nottingham and Leeds admittedly, it's still a fantastic institution to study at and I love the city, the uni, and my course. As for York's nightlife, we're seeing the reopening of Kuda under new management and Ziggy's (apparently an iconic nightclub back in the days) is reopening in Micklegate which is in the city centre. Btw, it's also very cheap and easy to get to Leeds from York by train or bus (CityZap).

Happy to answer any questions about Social and Political Sciences at York - I've just finished my second year. :smile:

Thanks for the reply! So far uni of nottingham does look like my favourite but i can’t find a politics and sociology or social and political science course, just either sociology or politics. I’ll definitely look at York and Leeds, also thinking maybe uni of Manchester.
Original post by Marl3
Thanks for the reply! So far uni of nottingham does look like my favourite but i can’t find a politics and sociology or social and political science course, just either sociology or politics. I’ll definitely look at York and Leeds, also thinking maybe uni of Manchester.

Hi there,

I am a final year Sociology student at the University of Bath, which is a top 10 university and also top 10 for both Politics and Sociology on the Guardian university league tables. You can check out more about Politics at Bath here and more about Sociology at Bath here.

What is great about both courses is that both have optional modules which means you can pick and choose modules you are interested in both within the course and in different departments. For example, if you study Politics you are free to pick Sociology modules and if you study Sociology you are free to pick Politics modules.

Bath itself is a great campus university, with amazing facilities such as the Sports Training Village and Edge. As it is a campus university and smaller than other universities there is a real friendly, community vibe. The city itself is also a beautiful place to live, with lots to do. In the city centre there is plenty of places to eat and drink and we also have 6 nightclubs, which host a variety of different student nights. You can check out this video here for a feel of campus and this video here for a feel of the city.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask :smile:

Isobel (A Final Year Sociology Student)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending